Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was gonna go smitybuilt for features but saw the northridge warn sale and couldn’t pass it up…think that deal is over…
Which Smitty was you going to buy?

I think you may be right about that deal being gone. Their website has them listed at the same price as the Warn site. I have an elite OnX account so can save 20% for anything I buy directly at Warn.

I sent @Northridge4x4 a PM asking if they have any deals. No response yet.

BAMF has a 6-8 week lead time on the bumper, but also moving locations so I’m guessing it will be closer to 8+ weeks. I got a little time for deals to develop but was also hoping to gather all the tech data to help guide me.

I emailed Superwinch today asking for tech data and their engineers are supposed to respond with some data.
Sponsored

Harley Lou

Outer Banks
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks 2 Door / 2020 Custom Build Harley
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I took advantage of BAMF's recent 25% off spring-into-summer sale and ordered an Overland bumper. If you know BAMF, you know they build stuff like a tank using American steel. The only "downside" I see is you are limited to a smaller winch footprint. The upside is it keeps your bumper tight to the vehicle. Give & take....give & take.

With my bumper ordered I am beginning to analyze winches. The obvious contender is the Warn EVO, which the bumper was originally designed to fit. If you aren't aware, this winch is designed & engineered in the USA but built in China using stricter protocols required by Warn. It has a lifetime mechanical warranty & 7 year electrical warranty. Savvy credit card users will extend manufacturer warranties by 2-3x depending on your card perks, FYI. I have one that does 3x so for me 3 lifetimes mechanical and 21 years electrical. Probably good enough, assuming I never ever lose my receipt.

Obviously Badlands Apex is a contender. It's larger but I've seen some BAMF installs work. Got me thinking about the Smittybilt and Superwinch variants as well. Found some chart data on the Smitty's and they seem to actually perform better on paper than the EVO's.

I can't find charts on the Smitty's or Badlands. Can someone point me to them?

1714748507785-x8.png
What is the brand of this low profile winch? And you have a link possibly?

OP
OP

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the brand of this low profile winch? And you have a link possibly?
The Warn VR Evo is what the BAMF bumper is designed around. However, most the winches mentioned so far have similar dimensions.

To make as short as possible and keep your camera view clean, you need to relocate the solenoid under the hood or elsewhere.

This is BAMF’s relocation bracket. If you order the bumper you can get as a “kit” that also includes the extended power cables.

https://www.bayareametalfab.com/6th-gen-BRONCO-WARN-EVO-winch-solenoid-relocation-bracket_p_171.html

First pic shows no winch on camera view. This would be very similar if you had the winch and relocated the solenoid WITHOUT the bull bar or lights.

The second shows the bull bar and lights.

Ford Bronco Here We Go...Which Winch? IMG_0655

Ford Bronco Here We Go...Which Winch? IMG_0656

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

With my bumper ordered I am beginning to analyze winches. The obvious contender is the Warn EVO, which the bumper was originally designed to fit.
I am just getting around to installing my BAMF winch bumper. (it was more like 10 weeks)As you said, very solid construction. The winch is more in line with frame rails and doesn’t have a huge profile. I got the Warn EVO 10S. My OEM modular bumper has parking sensors and BAMF provided mounting holes for sensor and housing. The keyways for sensor housings only matched 1 out of 4 of the sensors, so i had to file keyway slots on 3 of the mounting plates. I found the most difficult part of getting OEM bumper off was the harness connector for the sensors. Then it required removing all of the reinforcing plates on backside of bumper to get harness off. I opted for the remote mounting plate for winch controller and all that seems to fit well.

Sponsored
OP
OP

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am just getting around to installing my BAMF winch bumper. (it was more like 10 weeks)As you said, very solid construction. The winch is more in line with frame rails and doesn’t have a huge profile. I got the Warn EVO 10S. My OEM modular bumper has parking sensors and BAMF provided mounting holes for sensor and housing. The keyways for sensor housings only matched 1 out of 4 of the sensors, so i had to file keyway slots on 3 of the mounting plates. I found the most difficult part of getting OEM bumper off was the harness connector for the sensors. Then it required removing all of the reinforcing plates on backside of bumper to get harness off. I opted for the remote mounting plate for winch controller and all that seems to fit well.
Appreciate that feedback!

In my talks with Jerry, one of the things I liked was the winch is supposed to sit inline with the rails so you don’t get that awkward leverage action. I think dimensionally, the Evo 8S, 10S and 12S are all the same.

One of the threads I saw that mounted a Badlands winch also relocated the solenoid, but wasn’t quite as plug & play as the Warn. To be safe I also ordered the solenoid relo kit. It too was 25% off so just made sense as I would prefer to keep it as tight as possible and camera view maximized. The one thing I haven’t been able to determine is if the slightly larger footprint of the Badlands winch pushed the alignment of the bumper out any. I gathered it barely fit. Will find that thread and hit link the member here to see if they remember.

Also when Jerry and I spoke, we discussed the sensors. I had seen others that had to trim the notches. What I gathered was it depends what type of bumper came stock on your Bronco as Ford used 2 different styles. I have the capable bumper (not modular) and Jerry advised I would need to trim them or potentially buy new housings from Ford. I’m okay shaving them. If I screw them up I will replace and order the ones that don’t need shaved.

One thing I haven’t seen many photos of or much data is routing the sensor wires. Jerry mentioned it’s a tight fit and I would probably need to remove the loom, run the wires and reloom so it fits properly. I hadn’t directly considered the width of the winch may mess with the wire routing if you try to push it.

If you have any additional photos, videos or tips on the sensor wiring I would be grateful if you could share with me. I’m a monkey see, monkey do type of guy so I’m sure once I can see it I will figure it out.

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you have any additional photos, videos or tips on the sensor wiring I would be grateful if you could share with me.
I was trying to fit sensor housings into bumper hardware and ran into issues. I marked each sensor on the face with tape showing vertical orientation when i removed them. The sensor only goes into housing one way. i am making an assumption that sensors are clocked so connector is to the right or to the left 90 degrees from vertical. If i try to install with same orientation, the sensor won’t seat into housing on inner sensor (see photos). If it can be rotated 180 From that position and function ok, then housing opening in bumper plate is keyed wrong and i will have to do some more filing. Sort of a mess. I don’t know if sensor clocking is critical to function. Hopefully someone reading this might know.
Ford Bronco Here We Go...Which Winch? IMG_9380
Ford Bronco Here We Go...Which Winch? IMG_9379
Ford Bronco Here We Go...Which Winch? IMG_9378

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Jerry replied very quickly to my inquiry today. Apparently if you switch the housings around to fit BAMF keys they all fit. (I was trying match OEM Position) He said sensor connector can be to right or left.
All i have left is to “de-loom” and fit /rout harness into bumper.

TLO

Heritage
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I got an Open Road 12k winch for the channel. Going to be mounting it soon. Went with RC high mount but I REALLY wanna add the LOD offroad frame brackets to it.
The Fairlead isnt suitable for synth line, the hook that came with it is unrated and going in the recycling bin...
Whatever winch you run, duty cycle will absolutely kill it! Go east on the because they can very well be your last lifeline. 👍🏻

Northridge4x4

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Jeeps and one lone Bronco (so far)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Check with @Northridge4x4 if you're interested in an Evo, they've had some crazy pricing before. I scored a 10k for $300 delivered.
It was running at least all of Nov-Dec, not sure what they're currently doing.
That was a rebate special Warn had going the last few months of last year.

They've got a similar rebate deal on the Zeons right now, but they are Zeons, so quite a bit more expensive.

I sent @Northridge4x4 a PM asking if they have any deals. No response yet.
Reply sent.

Basically no super cheap winch deals right now, but it is always a good idea to reach out to the sale crew: [email protected] and ask if they are any sales on winches (or whatever you are looking for).

You can also visit our deals page, that'll have all the latest deals:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/pages/deals

You can also sign up for our newsletter, you'll get it via email once a week: https://www.northridge4x4.com/pages/signup

Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Basically no super cheap winch deals right now, but it is always a good idea to reach out to the sale crew: [email protected] and ask if they are any sales on winches (or whatever you are looking for).

You can also visit our deals page, that'll have all the latest deals:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/pages/deals

You can also sign up for our newsletter, you'll get it via email once a week: https://www.northridge4x4.com/pages/signup
That's a shame, but I'll keep tagging you guys on winch threads.

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you have any additional photos, videos or tips on the sensor wiring I would be grateful if you could share with me.
I finished the BAMF Warn install today. Everything works, winch, sensors, lights. I used my engine hoist with straps in 3 places so i could level it. Worked great. With Warn 10S there is about 3/4 inch clearance behind winch to intercooler shutters which i did not have to remove. I will probably start a new thread with some photos. Low profile, very robust bolt-on without too much fuss.
Ford Bronco Here We Go...Which Winch? 1715556966169-ki

OP
OP

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finished the BAMF Warn install today. Everything works, winch, sensors, lights. I used my engine hoist with straps in 3 places so i could level it. Worked great. With Warn 10S there is about 3/4 inch clearance behind winch to intercooler shutters which i did not have to remove. I will probably start a new thread with some photos. Low profile, very robust bolt-on without too much fuss.
Ford Bronco Here We Go...Which Winch? 1715556966169-ki
Would love to see a side profile pic along with measurement showing how far it sticks out. My stock capable is very tight, 3” or so. I know it has to grow some for winch placement but love how BAMF keeps it as tight as possible. Still, that is an element I’m most nervous about.

Also I am glad you mentioned the shutters. It was my understanding most removed but it wasn’t necessary. I was considering getting a CVF intercooler to do while the front end is torn apart anyhow. Then starting second guessing wondering if a high mount Mishimoto was more in order.

Later I plan to tune and will want a better intercooler if it can fit.

Poppavein

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Project Farm did a review of winches.