Sponsored

good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought?

BRKOBILLY2

Outer Banks
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just found this that I think I will do over the Harbor Freight 300 lb that doesn't fold.

https://a.co/d/9Eo2wS8
On amazon
Ford Bronco good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought? 1695428144400
Sponsored

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have not gotten around to buying yet but this will be my set up:
Ford Bronco good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought? 20230329_163326
Ford Bronco good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought? 20230329_163326
Harbor Freight 300lb and Kuat Swing away Driver side.
I have the same basket and I replaced that rise/drop main shaft with a straight one and when I insert that directly into the hitch with an extension, the tailgate and tire still clears the top of that basket when you open it. It’s very lightweight and easy to handle.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have not gotten around to buying yet but this will be my set up:
Harbor Freight 300lb and Kuat Swing away Driver side.
That is exactly the same setup I have now (But the straight out cargo from harbor freight)... Ironically I haven't actually needed to use it yet.

X-Rack

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This cargo rack will allow the tailgate to open with the spare tire, you can also add an additional accessory to the rear of the cargo rack for carrying off road gear, ski/snow gear or Fishing gear.
It has options to add hard cooler lock bars and other accessories as well. Made in USA. All aluminum construction. https://www.xrack.us/product/jhd-combo-cargo-carrier-rack/
Ford Bronco good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought? IMG_7543 copy
Ford Bronco good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought? IMG_0953.JPG
Ford Bronco good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought? IMG_0082
Ford Bronco good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought? IMG_0102
Ford Bronco good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought? IMG_0158

Sponsored

straycat

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Camry, 2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

straycat

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the Curt folding trailer basket. Have to use a 4” inch hitch drop to allow the rear gate/spare tire to clear. But otherwise works great. Used it on a camping last month and it helped with hauling our tent and portable griddle. Its easy enough to remove, so I don’t keep it permanently attached to the Bronco.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CURT-60...u9yepPoJl3L-KebgEf4xfzcHNGdOYuQEEitxeqySNUgiM
Does it fit right if you're not worried about being able to open the tailgate with the larger 35" tires? Or does that curve prevent installing it?

Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With a 35” inch tire (stock SAS on mine), I wasn’t able to open my tailgate. I also couldn’t fold the basket upright because rear edge of the basket comes into contact with the tire (when you fold it). Come to think of it, I’m not even sure the basket’s extension would reach the pin slot in the hitch receiver. Again, the back of the basket was hitting the large tire.

My solution was a 4” inch drop hitch extension from Curt. Now it works perfect. The 35” tire will clear the basket and I can full fold it upright when not in use. Keep in mind, I do not have the basket attached most of the time. Just when we go camping.

Also, Curt makes a basket without an extension I think. It will sit lower obviously and should allow the tailgate and larger tires to clear. I just preferred the curved version as I could use the higher seated basket as a makeshift station for my griddle/grill.

straycat

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With a 35” inch tire (stock SAS on mine), I wasn’t able to open my tailgate. I also couldn’t fold the basket upright because rear edge of the basket comes into contact with the tire (when you fold it). Come to think of it, I’m not even sure the basket’s extension would reach the pin slot in the hitch receiver. Again, the back of the basket was hitting the large tire.

My solution was a 4” inch drop hitch extension from Curt. Now it works perfect. The 35” tire will clear the basket and I can full fold it upright when not in use. Keep in mind, I do not have the basket attached most of the time. Just when we go camping.

Also, Curt makes a basket without an extension I think. It will sit lower obviously and should allow the tailgate and larger tires to clear. I just preferred the curved version as I could use the higher seated basket as a makeshift station for my griddle/grill.
thanks for the response. I won’t need the tailgate to open or fold it up. Once I get to my destination, I’ll just remove the basket completely.
I do have some beefier 35” tires, so I’m wondering how badly that basket will hit the spare…

Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thanks for the response. I won’t need the tailgate to open or fold it up. Once I get to my destination, I’ll just remove the basket completely.
I do have some beefier 35” tires, so I’m wondering how badly that basket will hit the spare…
If you’re going for the basket that has the upward curve, I think you’ll need some kind of hitch extension (even without a drop). Or you could get the basket that has the straight piece. It should sit low enough that the rear top of the basket shouldn’t hit the bottom of the tires.

Sponsored

straycat

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you’re going for the basket that has the upward curve, I think you’ll need some kind of hitch extension (even without a drop). Or you could get the basket that has the straight piece. It should sit low enough that the rear top of the basket shouldn’t hit the bottom of the tires.
Thanks. Looking at the extensions, that’s really going to put that basket back there…so may have to just go with the straight one.

BRKOBILLY2

Outer Banks
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did you end up getting this one? Does it clear the spare without an extension?
No I got a different one from amazon due to width of basket allowed cooler to sit vertical. But no it doesn't work with tire. I need the swing away! I think that if you just got an extension you would need it to lower it for the tire to clear. Mine has 6 inch walls so if I had someone doing the math for me I may have bought the 4 inch wall. But I do like the higher wall. Also will not fold due to tire.

BRKOBILLY2

Outer Banks
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This seems perfect. Do you know if there are any clearance issues?
Not sure as I didn't buy the swing away first. Then I found a larger cargo that folds up....but that will not work right without a extension drop or that swing away. Spent more money than the original pick but it has 24 inch width.

gerby151

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22Bronco Badlands (Honcho) '09 Harley Davidson
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ended up getting the folding one from Ford (with points) and adding a multi-drop "adapter" from Gen-Y. It is the lower cost Rebel and now I can choose what height for the hitch and the ball. Thinking of still buying the Kuat Pivot to allow opening of the rear with a cooler on the rack. I did drill another hole to allow the basket to sit closer to the spare for longer trips and heavier weight but it will fold up in this position which is nice.

Ford Bronco good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought? IMG_2946.JPG

Ford Bronco good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought? IMG_2945.JPG

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I keep looking at curt baskets. I really want one I can open the tailgate while it is on. Thinking something like this CURT 18109 60 x 20-Inch Tray Hitch Cargo Carrier, 500 lbs Capacity, Black Steel, 2-in Folding Shank https://a.co/d/2Z5Zb7H
Ford Bronco good hitch basket? anyone regret the basket they bought? 1698338667399

Or
I have the Curt folding trailer basket. Have to use a 4” inch hitch drop to allow the rear gate/spare tire to clear. But otherwise works great. Used it on a camping last month and it helped with hauling our tent and portable griddle. Its easy enough to remove, so I don’t keep it permanently attached to the Bronco.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CURT-60...u9yepPoJl3L-KebgEf4xfzcHNGdOYuQEEitxeqySNUgiM
Does anyone have a preference?
Sponsored