markpilip

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Okay so for those who don't know how this all works...

ESOF Transfer Case

aka: Electronic shift on-the-fly, 4x4 with Part-Time Selectable Engagement

This is the traditional part-time 4x4 transfer case. In 4x4 modes, the gearing in combination with the front-axle disconnect attaches the front driveshafts to the transfer case. You should DEFINITELY not drive 4x4 on the pavement with this transfer case unless the conditions on the road are extremely slick.

EMTC Transfer Case

aka: Electro-Mechanical Transfer Case, Advanced 4x4

This uses a clutch pack similar to most all-wheel drive vehicles to dynamically control power to the front driveshafts in 4-Auto mode. That clutch pack is electronically controlled. In theory, the computer will not send power to the front axle unless the vehicle detects wheel slip.

The problem is, particularly on dry pavement with off-road tires... sometimes a little wheel slip is just fine and preferred to having the clutch pack slip. If you drive in 4-Auto day-in and day-out you will wear out that clutch pack over time. Especially since Ford tuned the electronics in 4-Auto mode to be for off-road driving and not everyday driving. So in that sense this mechanic is correct, and there truly is no reason to drive in 4-Auto all day long every single day. If you want to be a little sporty on the road one day, sure, go for it. But don't make a habit of it and most of the time you should leave it in 2-High

What you see in this video is what happens to the clutch pack if you put extra wear/tear on it. BUT, that damage would happen over years, and the damage in this video is obviously from the towing, not from driving.
Zippy in the Ford manual saying anything like “only use Sport sometimes.” Yeah, stuff wears out when we use it, but that’s true of everything. I love the feel of Sport mode but choose to trundle around town in Eco/2H because at $3.89 a gal, Sport mode isn’t THAT interesting to me.
Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Think about it, with the manual only being a downloaded copy in the truck, Ford can change it with an update and then deny a warranty claim for us not following the manual. Even if we are doing what it said yesterday.
I went to my online only manual in my bronco to see what it says about 4A operations and surprised to find out when I click the link it says "content not found"

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I use 4a all the time here in Michigan mostly in winter months. You have to with black ice and snowy conditions. Don’t forget to use it while on the dunes too. I call BS why it broke.

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting case on the use of 4A. Seems like the tech is going out of his way to blame the driver using 4A all the time on the TC failure, when it was obviously the towing. My 2015 Grand Cherokee has a standard electronically controlled clutch based TC and it works very well. Engages and disengages seamlessly and quickly. I have had ZERO issues with tight turns in parking lots engaging the TC (unless I'm trying to spin it on ice or snow). As a side note, I showed the wife where the lever is to disengage the TC if it ever needed towed and informed her that it should always be flat bedded if at all possible. I had hoped that I could just tell the wife to leave it in 4A because she doesn't want to mess with the knobs and the buttons, but now I'm re-thinking this. I guess I'll just tell her to select 'Slippery' if its wet out, which turns it to 4A anyways. If the system in the Bronco is sensitive enough to lock in, and possibly bind, the TC doing tight, low speed turns in parking lots because the wheels are turning at different speeds with 4A, then I think that the system is too sensitive. I understand the 'off-road' portion, but if you're off-road than you should be using either the 4H or 4L anyways (IMO).

77Ford

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many Fords to list
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That mechanic could not be possible more wrong about the use of 4A. Between that stealer ship stealing broncos and that guy in the bays I would not step foot on that lot.

Sponsored

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It doesn’t look like harbor freight sells that transfer pump anymore, but it’s on Amazon. Performance Tool W54170 12V Oil Extraction Pump
HB a sells couple that look like knock-offs of the Mityvac:
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=oil extraction pump

I have the pneumatic model of the Mityvac that I've used for over a decade - great tool.

I switched to this HB Pittsburgh pneumatic model because of its much larger capacity - trouble-free for at least 4 years now:
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

AV99GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The front Axle has a Disconnect actuator, this is from the Workshop manual
Ford Bronco Ford Tech says Blown T-Case is owners fault for using 4A on Dry Pavement 1660342041869

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only the smallest front diff has an axle disconnect. The larger axle is live, no locking hubs and no disconnect. Auto 4 Wheel Drive can be turned on at any time on any Bronco equipped with it, set it and forget it. I wouldn’t run with it on all the time, but doing so won’t hurt anything. Anyone who says differently doesn’t know how the system works. You really can believe very few of the “experts “ on line and social media, very few.

Larry Johnston

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Larriat
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Interesting thread. I was actually thinking of trading my 2019 Ranger for a Bronco predominantly for an ability to have 4A for winter driving. 4WD is nice for mud, deep snow, etc but think AWD is likely “safer” for snowy, freezing rain conditions. What are people’s thoughts?

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting thread. I was actually thinking of trading my 2019 Ranger for a Bronco predominantly for an ability to have 4A for winter driving. 4WD is nice for mud, deep snow, etc but think AWD is likely “safer” for snowy, freezing rain conditions. What are people’s thoughts?
I've owned true 4WD and AWD Fords in addition to the Bronco. The Bronco in 4A acts very much like an AWD. The additional traction is immediately apparent when driving in road conditions that can benefit from AWD or 4A. Conversely, where a 4WD system set to 4H would bind when engaging a tighter turn, AWD and 4A do not do this. The whole purpose of Bronco's 4A is to give the owner AWD driving to improve on 2H traction when 4H is not appropriate. That said, I generally only use it in snow/ice conditions, and perhaps maybe in the heaviest of rains. 4A allows a "set it and forget it" that 4WD never can. A 4A-equipped Bronco would be noticeably better at handling than the Ranger in those adverse conditions. You might not even need 4A as much as you might think given the Bronco has more weight over the rear wheels.
Sponsored