Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 TBird, 1971 GTO, 2004 Chopper, 2016 Indian
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Javier,

Thanks for providing to the group. I'm not tech savvy enough to figure out - a great attachment. I have this and the wiper arm removal document as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
24BDSAS2DR2.7

24BDSAS2DR2.7

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Update:

Replaced at dealership. The following day at pick up, the new cowl cover looked as bad as the original. I know you're thinking "Why did the Technician leave it installed if there was that gap again in the center?" When he installed the new cowl cover, the fitment was correct. Out in the sun it was believed that the center of the plastic cowl moved away from the windshield. After the failed replacement attempt, slight hollowing of the two mounting holes on either side improved but a center gap remained slightly. Almost the entire service department then walked their new sales lot and found another cowl identical to the condition of mine when brought in. It is believed that the plastic cowl is high temperature sensitive and flexes with heat but does not necessarily return to its original form. It makes sense that the sides don't deform with the fasteners there. It also stands to reason that the under-hood area does not deform due to the many fastener points under-hood. Fastened on three-sides, the weak area that does not fasten to anything - the long center run that only rests against the base of the windshield - reacts adversely. Poorly engineered or never considered. So, I then asked the dealership to remove a cowl off of a 2024 Bronco on the lot, where the cowl fitment was correct - and apparently not affected by temperature. That is what is now installed on my Bronco. The dealership submitted a "hotline" report to Ford Corporate. Ford Corporate will either ignore it or somehow remanufacture new cowls with support struts of some kind. I've been assured that even with the cowl "buckle" as was described on my service receipt, that water-intrusion below to any critical parts would not occur. Temperatures here have exceeded 90 only recently. Possibly a bad batch of plastic - my VIN sequence is 18701. Latest cowl cover pictured.

20240509_062220.jpg

OP
OP
24BDSAS2DR2.7

24BDSAS2DR2.7

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wanted to provide an update to the Ford Motor Company bot. The alignment of the plastic cowl cover is sensitive to heat - the black plastic loses its alignment with the contour of the base of the windshield. The factory cowl did so, as does the replacement cowl which was removed from a new sales lot Bronco and re-installed on mine. In the heat, the cowl 'flexes' in the heat (1/4 - 1/2 inch), and as the temperature subsides, the cowl regains its alignment with the windshield. Debris has and will again enter the areas beneath the gap at the cowl/firewall, unless Ford Motor Company addresses the issue. I doubt the condition is limited to the two cowl covers installed on my Bronco. Hoping for a response from Ford.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Update:

Replaced at dealership. The following day at pick up, the new cowl cover looked as bad as the original. I know you're thinking "Why did the Technician leave it installed if there was that gap again in the center?" When he installed the new cowl cover, the fitment was correct. Out in the sun it was believed that the center of the plastic cowl moved away from the windshield. After the failed replacement attempt, slight hollowing of the two mounting holes on either side improved but a center gap remained slightly. Almost the entire service department then walked their new sales lot and found another cowl identical to the condition of mine when brought in. It is believed that the plastic cowl is high temperature sensitive and flexes with heat but does not necessarily return to its original form. It makes sense that the sides don't deform with the fasteners there. It also stands to reason that the under-hood area does not deform due to the many fastener points under-hood. Fastened on three-sides, the weak area that does not fasten to anything - the long center run that only rests against the base of the windshield - reacts adversely. Poorly engineered or never considered. So, I then asked the dealership to remove a cowl off of a 2024 Bronco on the lot, where the cowl fitment was correct - and apparently not affected by temperature. That is what is now installed on my Bronco. The dealership submitted a "hotline" report to Ford Corporate. Ford Corporate will either ignore it or somehow remanufacture new cowls with support struts of some kind. I've been assured that even with the cowl "buckle" as was described on my service receipt, that water-intrusion below to any critical parts would not occur. Temperatures here have exceeded 90 only recently. Possibly a bad batch of plastic - my VIN sequence is 18701. Latest cowl cover pictured.

20240509_062220.jpg
I just wanted to mention that I am now having this same issue now that temps in my area are above 80. The flex is less pronounced on mine than yours, but there is still a 1/4-1/8 inch gap at the center of the windshield.

I loosened the bolts at the mirrors and pulled the facia taught, which closed the gap a bit more but there is still space for an errant leaf or pine needle to sneak in.

If there does turn out to be a material characteristic flaw in these parts I wonder if my out of warranty '21 has any chance of being covered for replacement. I don't want plant matter rotting on my windshield frame.

Edit to add VIN seq: #60636

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ours is usually parked in the carport with the windshield shaded but last time I took the top off I was parking it backed in with the windshield facing SW. I started noticing a gap forming in the middle so I turned it back around. Really sucks that @Ford cut so many corners with inferior materials.

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ours is usually parked in the carport with the windshield shaded but last time I took the top off I was parking it backed in with the windshield facing SW. I started noticing a gap forming in the middle so I turned it back around. Really sucks that @Ford cut so many corners with inferior materials.
Yeah it's crazy to me that my 2012 escape that was like 21k new has less plastic warping on that piece than broncos that cost between 30k-100k. Granted there are design differences, but this is clearly a case of the bean counters asking for a cheaper/thinner part than they should have.

OP
OP
24BDSAS2DR2.7

24BDSAS2DR2.7

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I began engagement with Ford on this. Their response, the typical VIN, dealer, etc...request. This is their most recent response...and eventually "their" solution came back 360 degrees to the dealer. I'm sure others have complained, and by now, a "recall" would have been known by the members of this forum.

"We recommend that your vehicle be inspected by a Ford/Lincoln dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. Leonardtown Ford has factory-trained technicians, the most current engineering service information, and the specialized equipment required to resolve your vehicle concerns. If there is no coverage under applicable warranties, recalls, or ESPs, repairs and services would be your responsibility. Your next step is to make an appointment with Leonardtown Ford to have your vehicle diagnosed. Thank you for reaching out.

Ford Social Media Team"

I've asked that the Social Media Team refer me to another department. In previous messages I have indicated that the cowl "gap" is a one-way street...that debris will enter and not come back out without removal of the cowl and a heavy awkward lean over the engine bay area, hood up, then down, then up...etc... 

A redesign is in order by another or the same vendor...ribs embed in the cowl cover, either side (top or bottom), or, another structural support piece contoured to the windshield, sturdier material - that the windshield-side of the cowl can attach to - a heavier heat resistant piece extending on the slight curve from one side to the other. Can be narrow and simply follow the windshield. I don't think it would need to attach to anything other than the plastic cowl itself - preventing the cowl from moving away from that contour. I will call my dealership today to advise that FoMoCo is putting this on them and the gillion other dealers to come up with their own solutions.

I would encourage everyone to pay particular to outside heat cycles and the movement of their cowl covers and report here. That "might" help.

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I began engagement with Ford on this. Their response, the typical VIN, dealer, etc...request. This is their most recent response...and eventually "their" solution came back 360 degrees to the dealer. I'm sure others have complained, and by now, a "recall" would have been known by the members of this forum.

"We recommend that your vehicle be inspected by a Ford/Lincoln dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. Leonardtown Ford has factory-trained technicians, the most current engineering service information, and the specialized equipment required to resolve your vehicle concerns. If there is no coverage under applicable warranties, recalls, or ESPs, repairs and services would be your responsibility. Your next step is to make an appointment with Leonardtown Ford to have your vehicle diagnosed. Thank you for reaching out.

Ford Social Media Team"

I've asked that the Social Media Team refer me to another department. In previous messages I have indicated that the cowl "gap" is a one-way street...that debris will enter and not come back out without removal of the cowl and a heavy awkward lean over the engine bay area, hood up, then down, then up...etc... 

A redesign is in order by another or the same vendor...ribs embed in the cowl cover, either side (top or bottom), or, another structural support piece contoured to the windshield, sturdier material - that the windshield-side of the cowl can attach to - a heavier heat resistant piece extending on the slight curve from one side to the other. Can be narrow and simply follow the windshield. I don't think it would need to attach to anything other than the plastic cowl itself - preventing the cowl from moving away from that contour. I will call my dealership today to advise that FoMoCo is putting this on them and the gillion other dealers to come up with their own solutions.

I would encourage everyone to pay particular to outside heat cycles and the movement of their cowl covers and report here. That "might" help.
I would consider 3m double-sided tape to adhere the cowl to the windshield, but with how frequent windshield replacements are on these I am worried that would result in cowl destruction by the glass company.

If @BadBlueBronco gets that aftermarket cowl I would be interested to see how it holds up, or if the materials are better than OEM.

Zachv336

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Big Bend Manual Transmission
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Mine seems to be doing the same, got some real sun out at the lake not shaded area and I noticed a little gap between cowl and windshield. The 11 clips that are visible when the hood is raised seem so sit further down along the outside edges than they are in the middle, almost like a bowed look as you go towards the center with the male side of the middle clip being pretty visible with the hood raised . You can’t tell with hood closed yet. Is that position of the clips normal on a freshly installed cowl where they seem to raise up towards the center?

Sponsored
OP
OP
24BDSAS2DR2.7

24BDSAS2DR2.7

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Update: My dealership transmitted a second Technical Hotline request to FoMoCo. I was advised that "Engineering (is) still investigating." (Zach), I'll look at the under-hood fasteners when the base of the windshield side of the cowl cover is at its worst fitment/alignment and let you know.

Zachv336

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Okay thank you! I’m gonna get some pics of mine today.

Zachv336

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Fitment/Alignment - black plastic 'Cowl Cover' with Windshield IMG_2678
Ford Bronco Fitment/Alignment - black plastic 'Cowl Cover' with Windshield IMG_2675

I know I have definitely seen worse on the forum, if its gonna happen to another one which seems like it would, then may not even be worth a trip to the dealer

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco Fitment/Alignment - black plastic 'Cowl Cover' with Windshield IMG_2675

I know I have definitely seen worse on the forum, if its gonna happen to another one which seems like it would, then may not even be worth a trip to the dealer
This is about what mine looked like in 85° temps. I got it to almost completely close by loosening the bolt on one side, pulling the cowl over until it felt taught then tightening the bolt. I did this on both sides to get the cowl even on either side and it closed the gap to less than a half millimeter.

Checking it now 70° temps the gap is completely closed.

Not perfect, but probably the best we will get barring replacement of the part with a better built piece.

Zachv336

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nice okay I did that on one side but not the other, have you noticed that the clips on the underside sit in different positions as it flexes? I’m 2 minutes from my local dealer, stopped by there while I was out, they are going to replace this one. If it happens again (which I’m sure it will) I’ll live with it.
Sponsored