Sponsored

Does my OBX need tailgate reinforcement for WIldtrak spare tire?

breezyxm

Outer Banks
First Name
bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi everyone,

So I have a Lux OBX 4 Dr and ended up getting some ones Wildtrak tires.

Initially I assumed that I needed a reinforcement bracket on the back of the tailgate to support the heavier tire, but now I'm getting a horrible squeaking noise that seems to be coming from the bolts/screws from the reinforcement (Rough Country).

Wondering do I REALLY need the reinforcement bracket for the Wildtrak tire or can the tailgate handle it? Does Ford do anything special to the Wildtrak tailgate due to the tire size/weight or just same as the OBX?

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You don't need it sasquatch models don't have anything, and they support the tires just fine.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you are to go higher than 35" I would say yes. The larger tires do increase the strain on the hinges. But how do you know its coming from the reinforcement bracket? I have one for my 37" s and I've never heard anything out of the ordinary. Is everything tightened? I do know for a fact that you have to go back periodically to recheck the torque on the bolts. I've had to re-torque twice at the 4 hinge bolts. They do loosen up, the second time I used loc-tite on the bolts. You only take out one bolt at a time so not to have the inner nut flange fall to the bottom of the door.

OP
OP
breezyxm

breezyxm

Outer Banks
First Name
bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you are to go higher than 35" I would say yes. The larger tires do increase the strain on the hinges. But how do you know its coming from the reinforcement bracket? I have one for my 37" s and I've never heard anything out of the ordinary. Is everything tightened? I do know for a fact that you have to go back periodically to recheck the torque on the bolts. I've had to re-torque twice at the 4 hinge bolts. They do loosen up, the second time I used loc-tite on the bolts. You only take out one bolt at a time so not to have the inner nut flange fall to the bottom of the door.
Just took the back tire off and going to add some wd 40.

Going to take one bolt out spray and drive it around to see if it's the bolts. Husband rode in the back while I was driving to see where the noise was coming from and def was the tailgate

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tailgate is rated for 133lbs. Your described set-up should be fine.

Ford Bronco Does my OBX need tailgate reinforcement for WIldtrak spare tire? 1683577373557

I have had a heavy-ass 37" wheel on the back of mine for 18months now without issue.
Hey, excellent! Thanks for posting. I have concerns about putting Rotopax gas containers on the SAS spare tire. I currently only “strap” on a 2 gallon container because of the weight. Really want to carry another 2 gallon container on the other side. The 4 gallons ups the fuel weight to around 29 - 30 lbs.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Going to take one bolt out spray and drive it around to see if it's the bolts. Husband rode in the back while I was driving to see where the noise was coming from and def was the tailgate
Just don't spray the spare carrier studs with WD40 or any other bolts as its a lubricant.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just don't spray the spare carrier studs with WD40 or any other bolts as its a lubricant.
I always lubricate the threads on my wheel studs and other bolts, as it is part of a standard torquing procedure. WD-40 would not be my choice for threads. For cleaning threads, yes, but not as a lubricant. I use a light grease or motor oil on most threads prior to tightening/torquing.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Husband rode in the back while I was driving to see where the noise was coming from and def was the tailgate
"Husband rode in the back while I was driving"

Translation: "I kidnapped my husband"

Sponsored
OP
OP
breezyxm

breezyxm

Outer Banks
First Name
bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I always lubricate the threads on my wheel studs and other bolts, as it is part of a standard torquing procedure. WD-40 would not be my choice for threads. For cleaning threads, yes, but not as a lubricant. I use a light grease or motor oil on most threads prior to tightening/torquing.
any brands u recommend or something you can link for me? Not 100% sure what to look for

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Use dry lube such as what is used on garage doors. Not WD-40.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

IMO, if you’re going off road, get some type of brace. I recommend Hammerbuilt. Everything and anything flexes off road, including the tail gate. If you’re a mall crawler type, not really needed.

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are the rubber bumpers making contact with the tire or is there a gap now? The new wheels have are more offset so my guess is that you need to modify the bumpers or replace to get a solid contact. There are threads on the subject.

OP
OP
breezyxm

breezyxm

Outer Banks
First Name
bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are the rubber bumpers making contact with the tire or is there a gap now? The new wheels have are more offset so my guess is that you need to modify the bumpers or replace to get a solid contact. There are threads on the subject.
That was my next idea honestly. Its not connecting 100% since its the wildtrak tires instead of the ones that came with the outer banks. I found the ford replacement for the wildtrak tires. Were putting the tire back on today/tomorrow going to go test drive it see if the noise is back if it is next step is getting new bumpers. after that going to take it to ford and see if the welds inside the tailgate busted.
Sponsored