Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're a snorkel away from a SEMA build, seriously if you need to buy a second Bronco to haul your snowboard, you did something wrong. If one is going to add that much weight to the top of your Bronco, the last thing one should do is buy the heaviest winch/bumper available. You need to ask yourself if looks are more important than practicality.
Many many many Overlanding Broncos, Jeeps, Toyotas, etc are no different than mine, some even more extreme. The GOBI rack is taking all the top weight and I really don’t think it’s over weight overall. All the things I’ve added are fairly light. The HUGE 270 Bush awning is only 75lb. I’m not concerned about weight at this point. My main start to this thread was simply wondering how many of you Overlanders think like me and have chosen a different daily driver.
Sponsored

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I call myself a "weekend overlander" while daily driving my Badlands. I keep my awning and RTT on for much of the summer and remove them in the winter. My JCR roof rack allows me to take the front and middle panels off anytime however the middle is covered by the RTT so I don't really remove that one. I have a garage hoist to remove both my RTT and my top, in the spring and fall when it's not too hot or cold out.

Having said that there have been times where I want to run with the MIC top completely removed, but don't want the hassle of removing everything to do it (e.g. this time of year). I'm going to spring for some RTT quick release mounts as soon as I'm done financially recovering from my house flood. Didn't do much overlanding this season as I've been rebuilding my basement on the daily.
Ford Bronco Daily Drive Overlanding Bronco? IMG_0572

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Many many many Overlanding Broncos, Jeeps, Toyotas, etc are no different than mine, some even more extreme. The GOBI rack is taking all the top weight and I really don’t think it’s over weight overall. All the things I’ve added are fairly light. The HUGE 270 Bush awning is only 75lb. I’m not concerned about weight at this point. My main start to this thread was simply wondering how many of you Overlanders think like me and have chosen a different daily driver.
You've already exceeded your Bronco's GVWR, that's why I mention it. You were the one that stated: "My BIG Bronco just has so much hanging off of it....". You asked for thoughts, I'm agreeing with you on that point.

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You've already exceeded your Bronco's GVWR, that's why I mention it. You were the one that stated: "My BIG Bronco just has so much hanging off of it....". You asked for thoughts, I'm agreeing with you on that point.
Sure..what I meant by hangin off is that so many nooks and crannys to get/stay dirty/wet during the winter daily driving months, hence getting a smoother, more clean Bronco Sport for that purpose. This was my only pursuit/question. Nonetheless I appreciate your input.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My solution is to keep everything simple and removable. It's also called being broke, but I prefer the fancier term.

Not only do I not trust the Bronco's roof strength, but I personally don't find rooftop tents to be as comfortable as a ground one. The awning I have has an optional attachment for a tent extension, and I'm considering getting that for when I'm overlanding, and keeping it at home when out of season and not having to unbolt anything.

1696488171411.png
Neat tent! I dont get how people use awnings in campground parking spaces - usually far away from the table. I love the idea of an awning, but it seems only good for disbursed camping? It seems most camping ground parking spots have logs either side as well...

Sponsored

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco 2dr, 15 Maserati Quattroporte
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Neat tent! I dont get how people use awnings in campground parking spaces - usually far away from the table. I love the idea of an awning, but it seems only good for disbursed camping? It seems most camping ground parking spots have logs either side as well...
Bringing an overlander to a camp ground? You serious?

No way people actually do that. What's the point of an overlander, then...?

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bringing an overlander to a camp ground? You serious?

No way people actually do that. What's the point of an overlander, then...?
An Overlanding has amenities that some campgrounds don’t have and nothing is wrong with having those things wherever you decide to stay the night (s). An Overlanding rig is capable of the minimum to the maximum conditions and most would not want to have a camp rig and an overlanding rig.

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco 2dr, 15 Maserati Quattroporte
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
An Overlanding has amenities that some campgrounds don’t have and nothing is wrong with having those things wherever you decide to stay the night (s). An Overlanding rig is capable of the minimum to the maximum conditions and most would not want to have a camp rig and an overlanding rig.

It's moreso just that an overlander is meant to go places that normal camper vans can't, and a campground seems... accessible.

Seahund

Badlands
First Name
Adam Webber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious how many chose this path:

1) Built an Overlanding Bronco with all the amenities (RTT, Awning, Gear, Etc etc) and have chosen this would not be a preferred daily driver, constantly getting dirty (mine has so many nooks & crannys)?

2) Bought a second vehicle to be that daily driver in rain, snow, etc?

Reason I’m asking is I’m considering adding a Bronco Sport to become my daily driver when the weather is just constant nasty out on the roads, use for going snowboarding, locals trips in some snow, etc. My BIG Bronco just has so much hanging off of it, I prefer it not be constantly dirty/wet

Thoughts?

pics are my EG Bronco & potential Sport idea

IMG_8092.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg
Nice

20230930_122324.jpg

20230805_184025.jpg

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's moreso just that an overlander is meant to go places that normal camper vans can't, and a campground seems... accessible.
Sometimes you might need to plug in, go to the bathroom, get a hot shower, things campgrounds have that not all overlander builds have.
Sometimes you just want to stop off the road, sometimes you dont have time to get far enough from the main road that camping disbursed is even allowed.
Sometimes you want to park in a Wallmart parking lot for the night, sometimes grab a cheap hotel.
*its about adventure.
Im just asking about an awning in relation to the multiple conditions you get when overlanding. Great if you are constantly camping disbursed. In my experience, from the moment of leaving the house, in general, overlanding is maybe 50% disbursed camping, and 50% everything else.
But I live in an urban area, and it takes time to get off road.

sooo... with 50% usage time, not sure I want to bolt a 75lb wrapped 6'+ long thing to the side of my Bronco...

Sponsored

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The reason I want one is when fly fishing in the boonies and it starts raining. Just to have someplace that ISN'T inside the Bronco to stay dry, waiting for the rain to stop.

I would love to have some cover, bring out my small camping chairs, smoke some stogies and wait for the rain to stop...

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The reason I want one is when fly fishing in the boonies and it starts raining. Just to have someplace that ISN'T inside the Bronco to stay dry, waiting for the rain to stop.

I would love to have some cover, bring out my small camping chairs, smoke some stogies and wait for the rain to stop...
IMG_3690.jpeg

IMG_3691.jpeg

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base