Sponsored

Cutting frame to tuck aftermarket winch bumper and get some approach angle?

OP
OP
OddBall88

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not having seen that particular bumper in person, it sounds like quite a bit was left on the table.

Aside from mounting flange changes on the bumper, did you make any changes Ford side to accommodate?
so what all I’ve done is cut the bumper brackets off the frame of the bronco and moved those. The lower grill shutter is removed and a plastic divider that’s part of the upper shutters is removed along with a couple of the actual shutters for the acc relocation. Also had to cut some of the bash plate for that to fit in its current space.
Sponsored

Mikerider

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Ranger, Mustang, Focus, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I ended up just cutting the bumper brackets and straightening them back out and moving them inward about 4”. Pretty happy with how it went and it tucked the bumper in a decent amount in my opinion.

15B14E68-92DA-4541-A7C5-CB1E4408A131.jpeg

B173E2AB-074F-4B54-818E-AB03032899E6.jpeg

355552D6-DE74-43DB-81EE-8FC38375CDD5.jpeg

5CCF413E-4941-4DEF-B76A-2CEC34436A81.jpeg
Big improvement! Well done

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really considered cutting the grille and seeing if a frame chop would help but at the end of the day like others have said there is to much upfront to really gain much.

I built my bumper to keep the winch high and close to the grille while keeping the rest of the bumper tucked super close to the body and frame.

1660877025138.png

1660877087050.png
Love it! Great build!
I have the same thoughts about cutting the grill and bottom surround to gain an inch, but am not sure I could make that look good. I'm not impressed with any of the winch bumpers from vendors. Ugly, don't work with ACC, and/or stick out like a sore lip killing approach angles.
If I had the tools and space I'd mod the mod bumper with a winch plate in the same location you mounted yours.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Damn save some fun coupons for the rest of us big baller.

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mishimoto is r&d a high mount ic. Once that is moved looks like you can fit a winch nice n tight. I'd like to wait for that. I already removed grill shutters and acc.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Love it! Great build!
I have the same thoughts about cutting the grill and bottom surround to gain an inch, but am not sure I could make that look good. I'm not impressed with any of the winch bumpers from vendors. Ugly, don't work with ACC, and/or stick out like a sore lip killing approach angles.
If I had the tools and space I'd mod the mod bumper with a winch plate in the same location you mounted yours.
Agreed. The bumpers are the problem; not the frame horns. I'd make a custom bumper instead.

Mishimoto is r&d a high mount ic. Once that is moved looks like you can fit a winch nice n tight. I'd like to wait for that. I already removed grill shutters and acc.
Did you leave the shutter motor plugged in? If not, any stored codes?
Sponsored