Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford will come knocking if anyone reproduce this and tries to sell it.

BUT someone should do "Warthog" in the same font and sell it and I assume Ford can't do anything.
I think Ford trademarked Warthog. I wonder if they would try to squash it. I like the idea. I didn't mind this decal but it doesn't bother me that they discontinued it. Some kind of Warthog graphics would be cool.
I was curious about the status of Ford's Warthog trademark application, so I did a little research. This is what I learned.

On 9/9/2020, Ford filed an Application for Trademark of the Mark "WARTHOG" with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The eventual trademark registration is intended to cover the categories of land motor vehicles, namely, passenger automobiles, pick-up trucks, sport utility vehicles.

As of 10/9/2022, the status is "LIVE APPLICATION, Under Examination", and the trademark is not yet registered.

Ford Bronco Custom made my own Raptor factory graphic decal that was discontinued before production Warthog Trademark Application 1

Below is a timeline of the recent filing history.

Ford Bronco Custom made my own Raptor factory graphic decal that was discontinued before production Warthog Trademark Application 2

There are a bunch of similar trademark applications currently live/pending, but not registered, plus a few live/registered, and a few dead/abandoned...

Ford Bronco Custom made my own Raptor factory graphic decal that was discontinued before production Warthog Trademark Application 3

Ford has not yet filed a Statement of Use (SOU), which is a sworn declaration that the trademark is currently in use in commerce in connection with all of the products and/or services listed in the trademark application.

Ford is currently operating under it's THIRD Extension of Time to File a Statement of Use.

According to the USPTO, an Applicant must continue to file extension requests every six (6) months calculated from the date the Notice of Allowance was issued until a Statement of Use is filed, or the USPTO will abandon the application. Furthermore, Applicant may only request a total of five (5) extensions of time, and Applicant may NOT file a Statement of Use more than thirty-six (36) months from the date the Notice of Allowance was issued.

TL;DR

Ford's WARTHOG trademark application is still live/pending, but not yet registered, and Ford keeps requesting extensions to file its SOU. Eventually, time will run out, and Ford will have to file the SOU, or the USPTO will abandon the application.

IMO, since the Bronco Raptor (informally referred to by many as "Warthog" during the project development phase) is now in commercial production under the "Raptor" brand, the Warthog trademark application may eventually die a quiet death at the end of the available extension timeline. That's just my personal opinion, and I could be wrong.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Official USPTO Notice of Approval of Extension Request: U.S. Trademark SN 90168882: WARTHOG: Docket/Reference No. 84307753

Sent:
Tuesday, September 13, 2022 00:24 AM​
To:
Cc:
Subject:
Official USPTO Notice of Approval of Extension Request: U.S. Trademark SN 90168882: WARTHOG: Docket/Reference No. 84307753​
NOTICE OF APPROVAL OF EXTENSION REQUEST​

U.S. Serial Number: 90168882
Mark: WARTHOG
Owner: Ford Motor Company
Extension Request Number: 3
Docket/Reference Number: 84307753
Notice of Allowance Date: Apr 20, 2021​
The USPTO issued a Notice of Allowance on Apr 20, 2021 for the trademark application identified above. Applicant's THIRD request for Extension of Time to File a Statement of Use has been GRANTED. If you are currently using the mark in commerce, please visit http://www.gov.uspto.report/trademarks/teas/intent_to_use.jsp and select form number 1 ("Statement of Use/Amendment to Allege Use for Intent-to-Use Application") to file your statement of use and complete the registration process.​

PLEASE NOTE:

1.​
Applicant must continue to file extension requests every six (6) months calculated from the date the Notice of Allowance was issued until a Statement of Use is filed, or the USPTO will abandon the application.​
2.​
Applicant may only request a total of five (5) extensions of time.​
3.​
Applicant may NOT file a Statement of Use more than thirty-six (36) months from the date the Notice of Allowance was issued.​

To check the status of the application, go to http://tsdr.gov.uspto.report/#caseNumber=90168882&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch or contact the Trademark Assistance Center at 1-800-786-9199. Please check the status of the application at least every three (3) months after the application filing date.​

To view this notice and other documents for this application on-line, go to http://tsdr.gov.uspto.report/#caseNumber=90168882&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=documentSearch. NOTE: This notice will only become available on-line the next business day after receipt of this e-mail.​

For further information on filing a Statement of Use or an additional extension request, if applicable, please consult the USPTO website at http://www.gov.uspto.report/trademarks/, view the video on the USPTO website entitled "Statement of Use" (click on "TMIN Trademark Information Network" to view a list of available videos), or contact the Trademark Assistance Center at 1-800-786-9199.​
Sponsored

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I was curious about the status of Ford's Warthog trademark application, so I did a little research. This is what I learned.

On 9/9/2020, Ford filed an Application for Trademark of the Mark "WARTHOG" with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The eventual trademark registration is intended to cover the categories of land motor vehicles, namely, passenger automobiles, pick-up trucks, sport utility vehicles.

As of 10/9/2022, the status is "LIVE APPLICATION, Under Examination", and the trademark is not yet registered.

Warthog Trademark Application 1.jpg

Below is a timeline of the recent filing history.

Warthog Trademark Application 2.jpg

There are a bunch of similar trademark applications currently live/pending, but not registered, plus a few live/registered, and a few dead/abandoned...

Warthog Trademark Application 3.jpg

Ford has not yet filed a Statement of Use (SOU), which is a sworn declaration that the trademark is currently in use in commerce in connection with all of the products and/or services listed in the trademark application.

Ford is currently operating under it's THIRD Extension of Time to File a Statement of Use.

According to the USPTO, an Applicant must continue to file extension requests every six (6) months calculated from the date the Notice of Allowance was issued until a Statement of Use is filed, or the USPTO will abandon the application. Furthermore, Applicant may only request a total of five (5) extensions of time, and Applicant may NOT file a Statement of Use more than thirty-six (36) months from the date the Notice of Allowance was issued.

TL;DR

Ford's WARTHOG trademark application is still live/pending, but not yet registered, and Ford keeps requesting extensions to file its SOU. Eventually, time will run out, and Ford will have to file the SOU, or the USPTO will abandon the application.

IMO, since the Bronco Raptor (informally referred to by many as "Warthog" during the project development phase) is now in commercial production under the "Raptor" brand, the Warthog trademark application may eventually die a quiet death at the end of the available extension timeline. That's just my personal opinion, and I could be wrong.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Official USPTO Notice of Approval of Extension Request: U.S. Trademark SN 90168882: WARTHOG: Docket/Reference No. 84307753

Sent:
Tuesday, September 13, 2022 00:24 AM​
To:
Cc:
Subject:
Official USPTO Notice of Approval of Extension Request: U.S. Trademark SN 90168882: WARTHOG: Docket/Reference No. 84307753​
NOTICE OF APPROVAL OF EXTENSION REQUEST​

U.S. Serial Number: 90168882
Mark: WARTHOG
Owner: Ford Motor Company
Extension Request Number: 3
Docket/Reference Number: 84307753
Notice of Allowance Date: Apr 20, 2021​
The USPTO issued a Notice of Allowance on Apr 20, 2021 for the trademark application identified above. Applicant's THIRD request for Extension of Time to File a Statement of Use has been GRANTED. If you are currently using the mark in commerce, please visit http://www.gov.uspto.report/trademarks/teas/intent_to_use.jsp and select form number 1 ("Statement of Use/Amendment to Allege Use for Intent-to-Use Application") to file your statement of use and complete the registration process.​

PLEASE NOTE:

1.​
Applicant must continue to file extension requests every six (6) months calculated from the date the Notice of Allowance was issued until a Statement of Use is filed, or the USPTO will abandon the application.​
2.​
Applicant may only request a total of five (5) extensions of time.​
3.​
Applicant may NOT file a Statement of Use more than thirty-six (36) months from the date the Notice of Allowance was issued.​

To check the status of the application, go to http://tsdr.gov.uspto.report/#caseNumber=90168882&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch or contact the Trademark Assistance Center at 1-800-786-9199. Please check the status of the application at least every three (3) months after the application filing date.​

To view this notice and other documents for this application on-line, go to http://tsdr.gov.uspto.report/#caseNumber=90168882&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=documentSearch. NOTE: This notice will only become available on-line the next business day after receipt of this e-mail.​

For further information on filing a Statement of Use or an additional extension request, if applicable, please consult the USPTO website at http://www.gov.uspto.report/trademarks/, view the video on the USPTO website entitled "Statement of Use" (click on "TMIN Trademark Information Network" to view a list of available videos), or contact the Trademark Assistance Center at 1-800-786-9199.​
RB are you a patent attorney? That’s a lot of info.

IMO Ford missed an opportunity to create another icon with Warthog, but they still have that opportunity with a future model so maybe they will do something with it. I would rather it have been a Warthog than a Raptor. I think to an extent the Bronco Raptor plays a bit of 2nd fiddle to the OG Raptor (F150) but yet is unique enough to be an equal. The Ranger Raptor is kind of like a Bronco Sport.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RB are you a patent attorney? That’s a lot of info.

IMO Ford missed an opportunity to create another icon with Warthog, but they still have that opportunity with a future model so maybe they will do something with it. I would rather it have been a Warthog than a Raptor. I think to an extent the Bronco Raptor plays a bit of 2nd fiddle to the OG Raptor (F150) but yet is unique enough to be an equal. The Ranger Raptor is kind of like a Bronco Sport.
No, I'm not a patent attorney, but I read a lot of legal filings as part of my job, so I found it interesting. Since I had already done the research, I decided to post it because I wanted to leave reference links. Questions about the status of the Warthog trademark come up on the forum every 6 months or so, so I wanted to have something that would show up in future searches the next time it gets discussed. Then people can simply click a few links to get an updated status.

I agree that Ford missed an opportunity to create another icon with the Warthog. (y) I much prefer that name to the Raptor, personally, but Ford has already made a significant investment in that brand, so they decided to go that route. I don't know whether it had anything to do with the availability of the trademark, or whether it was simply a strategic marketing decision. 🤷‍♂️

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well Ford hasn't trademarked "OATES" but has trademarked OTX... So same Graphic with OATES in a Raptor Font sounds fun.
I wish I could have found the correct font!

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford will come knocking if anyone reproduce this and tries to sell it.

BUT someone should do "Warthog" in the same font and sell it and I assume Ford can't do anything.
Or one could purchase a completely unrelated graphic from the OP and he throws this one in as a free sample. :cool:

Sponsored

6gtexanbronco

Raptor
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Raptor, '74 Wagoneer, '20 Navi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Very nice. I was planning to do the same thing.

So I had ordered my truck with the simple raptor graphics on the rear fenders. For some reason ford stopped offering it before production. I just made my own and had a textured laminate put on top of it.

Ford Bronco Custom made my own Raptor factory graphic decal that was discontinued before production Warthog Trademark Application 3

TheLawnDart

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, Subaru Forrester, Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What are the dimensions on that? I wanted that option and would like to have one made for my Raptor as well. It looks great!
Also curious about this! Want to have a decal put there and would love to make it before mine shows up. Any recommendations on companies to use to have one made?

tmart1212

Raptor
First Name
Traci
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So I had ordered my truck with the simple raptor graphics on the rear fenders. For some reason ford stopped offering it before production. I just made my own and had a textured laminate put on top of it.

I have been looking everywhere for this in anodized burnt orange to match the shocks! Any chance you want to make one and sell it to me?? Or sell me the digital file?
Sponsored