Sponsored

Chasing a door rattle - what is this sealant protecting the window motors?

duel007

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4-door Bronco Badlands Lux Non-Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Morning y'all,

I am chasing a door rattle that the dealer "can't duplicate". It happens with the door panel off, so the next step is to start rooting around inside the door.

I already went through the holes with my inspection camera and can't see anything, so next I need to pull back this plastic for a better view.

The black sealant is soft, I could probably peel it back without an issue. Anyone know what it is if I need to reapply anything?

Thanks!

Ford Bronco Chasing a door rattle - what is this sealant protecting the window motors? IMG_2150.JPEG
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It should just stick back on. No need to reapply anything. It’s just strip caulk

OP
OP
duel007

duel007

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It should just stick back on. No need to reapply anything. It’s just strip caulk
Thanks! It all came off in one piece and looks like it'll go back on fine.

Even better news is I think I found the source of my door rattle - this stupid plastic bracket that just keeps a wire out of the way of the window. I stuffed some foam from a gun case in between the bracket and the mount, and that seems to have stopped it. There was already a tiny piece of foam in there from the factory but that's apparently not enough.

I'll drive it on the rough city streets for a few days before buttoning it up, but it sure seems like the rattle is gone in my initial testing.

Ford Bronco Chasing a door rattle - what is this sealant protecting the window motors? IMG_2153.JPG

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Butyl. Tape or rope.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If it rips or won't stay in, RTV is universal and cheap

Sponsored
OP
OP
duel007

duel007

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks y'all, it came out easy and went back in easy.

Bad news is that I still haven't fixed the rattle - back to the drawing board. I'm tempted to take this stupid door back to the dealer and ask for a whole new one, the rattle every time I hit a small bump is driving me nuts.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Morning y'all,

I am chasing a door rattle that the dealer "can't duplicate". It happens with the door panel off, so the next step is to start rooting around inside the door.

I already went through the holes with my inspection camera and can't see anything, so next I need to pull back this plastic for a better view.

The black sealant is soft, I could probably peel it back without an issue. Anyone know what it is if I need to reapply anything?

Thanks!

Ford Bronco Chasing a door rattle - what is this sealant protecting the window motors? IMG_2153.JPG
Hi there, Matt. This door rattle concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can further assist you on my end. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Tracking down rattles is a full time job. As soon as I get one fixed, I get a couple of days of blissful driving, then another one pops up somewhere else.

I had one I thought was coming from my drivers side rear - could just hear it with the window down, sounded like metal on metal. I thought it was something up in my RSE sliders - fixed some cable runs that could have been banging around -- that didn't fix it. I had the rear axles off, thought maybe it was the rotor shields back there on the rear tire had come loose -- nope, good and tight. Finally tracked it down to a broken speed nut on the ~front~ bumper for fog light bracket, and that was rattling against the bumper. I could have swore it was coming from the rear, but it was the front bumper.

Another good one was when I added in the deflector to the front hood, and thought I had a wire rattling in the dashboard by the A-pillar vent. It was the plastic cover over the roof rack mounts rattling on the outside,. now that the deflector changed the way the air hit them.

Really hard to track down these rattles sometimes - I swear my Bronco has taken a class in ventriloquism.
Sponsored