North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Well respected "The Ford Authority" has an interesting article comparing Bronco's market share to Jeep and 4Runner, is Ford in trouble?

Competitive Sales Comparison (USA)

Ford Bronco sales fell 26 percent moving just 24,066 units during Q1 2024, keeping The Blue Oval’s rugged pony in last place behind its two competitors.

The Jeep Wrangler took back the lead with though sales were nearly flat with 38,308 deliveries, up a spot from the previous quarter. The Toyota 4Runner slipped back to the middle in spite of a 60 percent jump to 33,823 units, but was still ahead of the Bronco by nearly 10K deliveries.

In terms of segment share, the Wrangler earned a 40 percent share, down one percentage point year-over-year. The 4Runner posted a 35 percent segment share, down a 12 percentage points, while the Ford Bronco held 25 percent share, down 10 percentage points.

Overall, the midsize off-road SUV segment grew five percent to 96,197 units, meaning Ford Bronco sales significantly underperformed the segment average.

Ford Bronco sales fell again to start out the year, remaining last among just three entries during the first quarter of 2024
, while the Jeep Wrangler and Toyota 4Runner traded places. At least the Bronco doesn’t have a competitor from GM to contend with, which continues to have no answer for Ford’s off-roading SUV.

Ford Bronco Bronco Market Share down to 25%, while Jeep is 40% and 4Runner 35% 1712490438739-ks
Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford needs to actually crack down on ADM.

Interest rates are too high, inflation is too high, people are not wanting to spend big money on a toy car.

The 4Runner is seen as a dependable family car here. IMO they are not true competitors.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sneakers
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Meanwhile in China 120% share!

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Since the Bronco is produced along side the Ranger is it fair to think of Ford wanting to prioritize the Ranger considering truck sales are generally a massive market vs the off road market? We’ve seen them pinch buyers into higher trims/prices and removed the budget Base option.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Since the Bronco is produced along side the Ranger is it fair to think of Ford wanting to prioritize the Ranger considering truck sales are generally a massive market vs the off road market? We’ve seen them pinch buyers into higher trims/prices and removed the budget Base option.
Wait, so you're saying, Ford really does not want to be competitive with Jeep and 4Runner, so they will just leave money on the table of one model to chase another (Ranger)?

Are you forgetting, in 2020, Ford was projecting Bronco sales of 200,000 plus per year?

Sponsored

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wait, so you're saying, Ford really does not want to be competitive with Jeep and 4Runner, so they will just leave money on the table of one model to chase another (Ranger)?

Are you forgetting, in 2020, Ford was projecting Bronco sales of 200,000 plus per year?
I think when production capacity is limited and Ford is forced to chose between Ranger and Bronco the Ranger will be their focus. Truck segment vs niche off-roader. Their plans of 200,000 units is and always was a marketing fantasy if they never had a dedicated facility just for Bronco

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Overestimating projected sales has been around probably since the Stone Age. I my short 50 years in the business world, I’ve seen it more times than I can count. But, you always reach for the fence, if you don’t reach, you certainly won’t get there.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmm, I wonder if it had anything to do with the strike and MAP being shut down for 3 weeks? You can't sell units if you don't have inventory.

Sponsored

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do the competitors have rear cup holders? Ill bet that's the problem.

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think Ford should advertise the Bronco more. Ive seen it included with other Ford vehicles, but the full size Bronco should definitely have its own ad. They need more influencers on YouTube driving their products. That might be tough because most of the Jeepers are set in their ways and they get the most views. Rock crawling is what gets views on YouTube. Many of them used the Bronco to get views when it first came out and said how great it was, but later bashed it to appease their subscribers. I definitely saw that coming;) It will be interesting to see what Ford does with a refresh.

I think Ford is definitely paying the price from some of the negative press (some is legit and some not). Hopefully many of the bugs are worked out with the refresh and there are a few more hardtop options. Ultimately the Bronco needs to prove itself as a tough and reliable platform that they can trust like the F150 with trucks.

It takes time. The competition has been out for decades. The new Broncos have only been out for literally 3 years.

If Ford really wants buyers now they need to do something “big” with the Bronco very soon. V8 and they will come! Differentiate from the masses!!

It doesn’t have to be a 5.0. Think smaller peppy little V8.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Wait, are you saying Ford is still experiencing quality issues, after all this time to fix the systemic issues? Does this mean the delays in Ranger and Mustang shipments are so they can figure out the equivalent of which defective items are okay to ship, like they did with the defective MIC tops?
More surprising, Ford sold precisely zero Rangers last month, meaning that the supply of 2023 models seems to be depleted, and there simply aren’t any new 2024 models on lots as of yet.

While it’s unclear why this is the case, it stands to reason that Ford could be conducting quality checks on 2024 Ranger pickups before shipping them to dealers and customers, as it has done with several recently refreshed or redesigned models.

Quality reviews also impacted the launch of the all-new 2024 Ford Mustang last year when some issues needed to be ironed out

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Wasn't Q1 really the first time Ford didn't have their huge backlog of orders holding them up with customers willing to pay? Add that to inflation and interest rates taking their toll on disposable income and I'm surprised anyone is out there buying 50k+ toys in these numbers.

I do wonder why 4Runner sales were so strong with the redesign release just around the corner though, wonder if the faithful know something we don't? I still trust my FJC more over my HE for dependability/longevity, that's a hard stereotype to break for most people especially with issues Ford had out the gate that still persist.

As for Jeep, who knows, new refresh and discounts goes a long way for some and others will only ever have a Jeep no matter what.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford needs to actually crack down on ADM.

Interest rates are too high, inflation is too high, people are not wanting to spend big money on a toy car.

The 4Runner is seen as a dependable family car here. IMO they are not true competitors.
This.

Ford also needs to crack down on straight up shitty dealers that can't seem to fix problems. The dealer I bought mine from didn't charge me markup, but refused to address a *safety* issue that was covered under warranty in under six weeks. Friends are out of their broncos for nearly 3 months due to dealership fuckery, with no loaners because Ford refuses to let dealers stock any spares due to "supply chain issues".

I adore my bronco, I really do. but fuck Ford corporate sideways with a cactus, my next vehicle is a Toyota.
Sponsored