Sponsored

Are shock mount sliders worth the money or are they snake oil?

OP
OP
35tires

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are so many choices I'm overwhelmed. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm reluctant to buy one and get a bad choice. I've looked at JCR, DV8, SRQ... anyone have tips for a sasquatch?
Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are so many choices I'm overwhelmed. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm reluctant to buy one and get a bad choice. I've looked at JCR, DV8, SRQ... anyone have tips for a sasquatch?
I don’t really have advise for you, but if you decide to go with Valkyrie, I still have this pair available. The valkyrie ones seem legit but I decided to go with Barnes for ease of installation.

edit: on that note, pay attention to install instructions. some require loosening or removal of the main bolt which is supposed to be torqued to some ungodly spec

Last edited:

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is one of my shock plate after Moab last year.

Ford Bronco Are shock mount sliders worth the money or are they snake oil? 20221030_091937 - Copy

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I watched a few videos today and while I'm ordering way too much stuff I'm starting to wonder... what's really worth the money and time. I saw a good video about shock skids but do they really "protect" or are they just one more metal thing you're bolting on that doesn't really impact the safety of the shock?

Trying to learn. Any input is genuinely appreciated.
The crews at the TX off rodeo said you don't need them. Their logic is that if inexperienced drivers are on their rigs constantly, they would know if you would get damage... They said in TX they have never had any damage.

OP
OP
35tires

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm new and kinda dumb so I would be the person who did mess something up. Better safe than sorry.

Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The crews at the TX off rodeo said you don't need them. Their logic is that if inexperienced drivers are on their rigs constantly, they would know if you would get damage... They said in TX they have never had any damage.
Those are guided rides on bunny slope trails, with Ford-sponsored spokespersons trained to tell you the Bronco is perfect as-is. I would more likely trust the testimonials of unbiased third parties (some with photo evidence) that you're getting in this thread.

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those are guided rides on bunny slope trails, with Ford-sponsored spokespersons trained to tell you the Bronco is perfect as-is. I would more likely trust the testimonials of unbiased third parties (some with photo evidence) that you're getting in this thread.
Sure... He also told me about a ton of other issues they were having with warranty issues and damaged parts. Buy the shock guards if you want them, I was just sharing my experience.

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure... He also told me about a ton of other issues they were having with warranty issues and damaged parts. Buy the shock guards if you want them, I was just sharing my experience.
I agree with you. The other guy is funny.
“Bunny hills” lol. We hit trails in Moab during off rodeo with ton of underbody contact. Guide was honest with what was not going so well in the bronco and what was good.
Shock mounts were not one of them.
Also, shock skids lower the clearance and will eventually also bend the shock mount anyway, as proven is several photos. It’s not really useful to prevent binding.

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don’t really have advise for you, but if you decide to go with Valkyrie, I still have this pair available. The valkyrie ones seem legit but I decided to go with Barnes for ease of installation.

edit: on that note, pay attention to install instructions. some require loosening or removal of the main bolt which is supposed to be torqued to some ungodly spec
How are the Barnes to install? Will they hold up to some good impacts in Moab?

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Absolutely worth it, mine have scrapes all over them.

Sponsored

illverado

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
700whp stick shift 2000 silverado 2011 caprice ppv
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco Are shock mount sliders worth the money or are they snake oil? 4AFA870E-0971-4C45-B2E4-90551C55FDBC
My barnes shock skids were held up on the rock you see about a foot in front of the left rear tire. I went ahead and drove it over and there’s no damage to them just scratched off the paint. Cheapest ones and easiest install of any of the available shock skids I highly recommend them! Great design that drains mud/water and doesn’t get bent because they’re touching the shock bushing loop already. Best clearance also.

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco Are shock mount sliders worth the money or are they snake oil? 4AFA870E-0971-4C45-B2E4-90551C55FDBC
My barnes shock skids were held up on the rock you see about a foot in front of the left rear tire. I went ahead and drove it over and there’s no damage to them just scratched off the paint. Cheapest ones and easiest install of any of the available shock skids I highly recommend them! Great design that drains mud/water and doesn’t get bent because they’re touching the shock bushing loop already. Best clearance also.
Thanks I think I am sold.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ditto.
I went Barnes on mine, have hit them on rocks in Moab and Uwharrie. They are a bit tricky to get on in the tight space to work in, but save you from that ungodly torqued lower shock bolt removal/potential to bungle up threads for some people doing so.
No complaints, probably one of the top bang-for-the-buck things I've purchased.

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I did the top of the world trail near Moab this past weekend and hit the lower shock mount multiple times climbing angled steps. The shock mount would contact the step first before the tire could get it up out of the way. Im glad I had the Next Venture Motorsport shock skid on or my mounts would have probably been bent.
I have the next Venture Rock Sliders, damn they are badass and overbuilt. I was building my Wildtrak for Baja, so I went with Foutz Aluminum skids, I think I have the JCR gas tank skid on order. Also did shock skids (JCR) and a Foutz Diff guard. Top of my vehicle looks normal but it will be bullet proof below (reasonably so anyway)

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Are shock mount sliders worth the money or are they snake oil? IMG_3128 1

SRQ, Personally, for the little time it takes to put them on, they are worth it. Cross braces need armor too.

Cross braces take a beating and need armor also.

Ford Bronco Are shock mount sliders worth the money or are they snake oil? Cross brace

Ford Bronco Are shock mount sliders worth the money or are they snake oil? CB Armor
Sponsored