Sponsored

Anyone install a JL Audio 8" W1v3 Sub into the B&O enclosure?

STING555

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perfect thank you so much that is what I was wondering, I have a chance for the w3 for the price of the w1. I was following the other post and it gave me the confidence to try this, replaced all the speakers except the sub.
The JL W1 is a single voice coil vs the Kicker which is a dual voice coil. So, the JL will run at 4ohm whereas the Kicker was running at 2ohm wired in parallel. My amp will send 150w @ 4ohm vs 300w @ 4ohm. I’m interested to see what the JL will sound like with it running on 150w vs 300w with the Kicker.

The Kicker has vents on the back of the magnet. I think that the sub over heated because there was not enough depth to allow it to vent properly. The JL W1 does not have the venting holes in the magnet, so it should be better suited in the enclosure.
Sponsored

fyremn76

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The JL W1 is a single voice coil vs the Kicker which is a dual voice coil. So, the JL will run at 4ohm whereas the Kicker was running at 2ohm wired in parallel. My amp will send 150w @ 4ohm vs 300w @ 4ohm. I’m interested to see what the JL will sound like with it running on 150w vs 300w with the Kicker.

The Kicker has vents on the back of the magnet. I think that the sub over heated because there was not enough depth to allow it to vent properly. The JL W1 does not have the venting holes in the magnet, so it should be better suited in the enclosure.
Once you get it in let me know how it goes, I’m a big jl audio sun fan and would love to stick with one of those, what amp do you have, the kicker 500.1 key ?

STING555

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once you get it in let me know how it goes, I’m a big jl audio sun fan and would love to stick with one of those, what amp do you have, the kicker 500.1 key ?
Yep, I have a Kicker Key 500.1

I just received the JL W1 and will install sometime this week.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The kicker 8” 48cWR84 has been shown to fit easily in the b&o sub enclosure. The jl audio w1 has less depth and same specifics but the w3 has a little more mount depth than kicker so that’s why I was wondering about it or if anyone has tried!? But are you speaking from trying or just guessing?
I have not seen that Kicker model mounted in B&O stock location, but did see many use the 48CWRT84, which is 2.7" mount depth. If the W1 fits, color me impressed as I did not believe anything above 3.5" depth would work in B&O. Is there a diagram sheet with specs for the B&O enclosure floating around anywhere?

Last edited:

fyremn76

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, I have a Kicker Key 500.1

I just received the JL W1 and will install sometime this week.
Let me know how it goes, what you think and how you wired it up to the kicker amp. Thank you in advance!

Sponsored

fyremn76

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not seen that Kicker model mounted in B&O stock location, only the 48CWRT84, which is 2.7" mount depth. If the W1 fits, color me impressed as I did not believe anything above 3.5" depth would work in B&O. Is there a diagram sheet with specs for the B&O enclosure floating around anywhere?
https://www.bronco6g.com/bo-sound-system-complete-upgrade-done-âś…/

check out this thread, he used the 48CWR84 not the CWRT. That’s what I was going off of, the mounting depth of the cwr is 4-1/8, and the jl w3 is 4.63.L while the jl w1 is 3.86. I have not seen a spec sheet for b&o sub enclosure.

STING555

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can confirm that the full size Kicker Comp R (48CWR84) fits in the OEM enclosure. However, as noted above, the Kicker sub likely failed due to inability to vent properly.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can confirm that the full size Kicker Comp R (48CWR84) fits in the OEM enclosure. However, as noted above, the Kicker sub likely failed due to inability to vent properly.
Interesting. Approx how much room would you say is left with depth when you mounted?

STING555

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting. Approx how much room would you say is left with depth when you mounted?
There was no additional depth. It was a tight fit.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There was no additional depth. It was a tight fit.
ok, so w3 likely is a pipe dream but anything right at 4" should work. thanks for sharing.

STING555

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ok, so w3 likely is a pipe dream but anything right at 4" should work. thanks for sharing.
Yep, 4-4.1” is the max depth that will fit. The diameter is also a tight squeeze. I had to snip off some of the outer plastic trim ring on the Kicker to get it to seat in the opening.

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sounds like w1 is great option. Surprised more haven't done it. Would have definitely considered in lieu of my stinger box.

Y2KFirehawk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Great discussion here folks; thanks for contributing. Looks like it's not just swapping the speaker but also adding an amp is part of the "resolve?"