First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2 door Badlands Manual, 1971 Pinzgauer 710M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve been communicating with an Australian company Starterstopper that manufactures auto theft prevention devices. These work by disabling the starter motor until pressing one or more momentary switches in various sequences of your choice. The switches can be any combination of the three switches that are supplied with the system or any other switches on the vehicle that is a momentary switch. The initial version would not work with auto start stop or auto restart after stall but in my communications with them I was offered a first run updated starter stopper that works with auto start stop, auto restart after stall and start in gear (in 4 low with manual transmissions). As long as the vehicle is not shut down it behaves as normal. The updated version also allows for multiple systems to be disabled.

I have two systems disabled that do not send codes so my manual transmission Badlands can’t be started either by the starter motor or push started.

As a side note one of the options for manual transmission is to disable is the fuel pump to prevent push starting, but the bronco throws a P025A code (open circuit in the fuel pump) and turns on the check engine light so that was a no go.

I also installed a first run starter stopper alarm that sounds a siren/horn/airhorn (or anything else you want to sound or light up) if someone tries to start the vehicle without pressing the secret button(s). There is a 7 second delay after the start button is pressed before the alarm sounds giving you the chance to press the secret buttons and abort the alarm. if the secret button(s) are not pressed the alarm sounds until it either times out after 30 seconds or when the secret button(s) are pressed.
Note that the starter stopper ecu is included as part of the alarm system so only the alarm system is needed if you want both systems.

Installation and locations of relays, buttons and systems disabled is entirely up to you.

I disable two systems and advise if your planning on disabling a system to remove the fuse to first determine if it will throw a code.

Locating the wires to splice the relays into was a pain, but the service and wiring diagrams someone uploaded on Bronco 6g helped greatly as the wiring diagrams include pin numbers and wire colors.

The folks at Starterstopper are also very helpful and even uploaded videos on youtube to answer my emailed questions.

My Bronco now can’t be started with a relay attack and even if someone steals my fob when they press the start button nothing will happen and the alarm will sound, which I expect would deter them. The StarterStopper system is completely separate from the Broncos computers so if in the future someone figures out a CAN bus attack it’s still protected.

It won’t stop anyone from breaking into your vehicle but driving away with it would be extremely difficult.

Heres a video of StarterStopper on my Bronco. Trying to start with the fob without pressing the secret buttons. Once horn starts I disable it with the secret buttons so not to annoy my neighbors, but it will sound for 30 seconds if the buttons are not pressed. Once buttons are pressed the vehicle can be started.

Ford Bronco Anti-theft device (StarterStopper) install in Bronco Badlands IMG_2623
Sponsored

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
"It won’t stop anyone from breaking into your vehicle but driving away with it would be extremely difficult."
It won't stop this:

Ford Bronco Anti-theft device (StarterStopper) install in Bronco Badlands Lee-Foss-Salvage-Ford-Bronco-4-1

This is what the pro's use.

Just saying.

NM_Wildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 door wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does this still allow for remote start operation either with the fob or FordPass?

OP
OP
Redlaw

Redlaw

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does this still allow for remote start operation either with the fob or FordPass?
Update: StarterStopper website now shows its Pro model is compatible with Remote Start.

I dont think so. The StarterStopper is isolated from the other computers. Unless the secret momentary buttons are pressed remote start wont work as starter power is disconnected.
They are developing on a pro model that has additional features. Possibly this is something that could be incorporated by contacting them. I have a Manual Trans so this option is not available from Ford for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redlaw

Redlaw

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It won't stop this:

Ford Bronco Anti-theft device (StarterStopper) install in Bronco Badlands Lee-Foss-Salvage-Ford-Bronco-4-1

This is what the pro's use.

Just saying.
Don't know anything that would stop that.
StarterStopper is designed to protect from car key theft, Relay Attacks, and CAN bus invasion which the pro's also use..

Sponsored

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't know anything that would stop that.
StarterStopper is designed to protect from car key theft, Relay Attacks, and CAN bus invasion which the pro's also use..

Not “stop” it - but at least a traditional car alarm would trigger the g-force sensor and go off.

So I wonder….could the StarterStopper be wired into an input of a traditional car alarm? So you can get the proximity and vibration sensors along with the “Failed Start Attempt” input to trigger the horn. That would be the full protection package.

Only thing lacking at that point would be the “send 20,000 volts to the door handle” feature.

OP
OP
Redlaw

Redlaw

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not “stop” it - but at least a traditional car alarm would trigger the g-force sensor and go off.

So I wonder….could the StarterStopper be wired into an input of a traditional car alarm? So you can get the proximity and vibration sensors along with the “Failed Start Attempt” input to trigger the horn. That would be the full protection package.

Only thing lacking at that point would be the “send 20,000 volts to the door handle” feature.
The StarterStopper Pro has a motion sensor and will sound the alarm just like a traditional car alarm.
It also has as a service mode that allows the system to be disabled (using a user set combination) for a set number of days before turning it over to your mechanic.
Its available to reserve but not yet available. The system I installed (StarterStopper Alarm) is the latest available, but when the pro comes out I will likely upgrade for the motion sensor.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You only gain false peace of mind and lose real functionality that is useful, especially when it's cold outside.

I think products like these just pray on people's fears to take their money.

Sponsored

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You only gain false peace of mind and lose real functionality that is useful, especially when it's cold outside.

I think products like these just pray on people's fears to take their money.
I think that auto theft is a completely legit worry for those living in Ca, NY, and especially NJ. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think that auto theft is a completely legit worry for those living in Ca, NY, and especially NJ. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I wonder if those 3 places have a common factor that would explain the high theft rates?

🤔🤔🤔

adcam

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4DR 2.3L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just installed the perimeter plus alarm which adds shock sensor. I also have the SprintBooster which can disable throttle.

OP
OP
Redlaw

Redlaw

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just installed the perimeter plus alarm which adds shock sensor. I also have the SprintBooster which can disable throttle.
I still have my ford points to spend from the Bronco purchase. Having the StarterStopper to protect from key theft and relay attacks and perimeter plus to deter break in sounds like a good combination.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it's been a while since full metal handles on bronco's
Sponsored