Sponsored

And in this corner... weighing in at....

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I finally mounted all my stuff on my Bronco (still undecided about an RTT) but decided to take it to a scale and weight it.

4 Door WT, MIC, BAMF Front Bumper with winch (Synthetic line), Bodyguard Rock rails, JCR belly skids including gas tank, cargo storage (extruded aluminum), loaded with off road gear and tools, oh and full tank of gas...

Total weight 5660
Front Axle 3120
Rear 2540

Ford Specs

Total Max 6160
Front Max 3220
Rear Max 3070

The RTT I'm eyeballing is < 100 which by the time I'm fully loaded for a trip and the family I'll be right there.

Honestly, better than I thought..I figured I'd be well over so not bad.
Sponsored

TTUHoopsFans

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Doesnt leave a lot of room for people and cargo
If I am reading this right, is there really only 500lbs difference between the weight of the Bronco and the max weight Ford recommends? That can't be right --- it seats 5 so that would mean each person would have to be 100lbs on average, and this is without any modifications like heavier front / rear bumpers, etc.

I could also be an idiot and not understanding any of the numbers too (most likely scenario) :LOL:

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Doesnt leave a lot of room for people and cargo
Agreed, but between myself, wife, and kid, we'd still have a bit to spare.

Honestly, I don't know many built up rigs that can stay under the Gross, especially overland ones.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If I am reading this right, is there really only 500lbs difference between the weight of the Bronco and the max weight Ford recommends? That can't be right --- it seats 5 so that would mean each person would have to be 100lbs on average, and this is without any modifications like heavier front / rear bumpers, etc.

I could also be an idiot and not understanding any of the numbers too (most likely scenario) :LOL:

This is a built up Bronco.. From the factory, roughly speaking, you get about a thousand pounds of wiggle room. I've basically used up 500 of it with all the armor.

Sponsored

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

you are mostly understanding, his is also already built, the cargo capacity for most broncos is around 1200, he just has 500 left

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agreed, but between myself, wife, and kid, we'd still have a bit to spare.

Honestly, I don't know many built up rigs that can stay under the Gross, especially overland ones.
yeah thats fair, im not judging, doesnt bother me either way but it does illustrate how fast the weigh can creep

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

yeah thats fair, im not judging, doesnt bother me either way but it does illustrate how fast the weigh can creep
Yeah no doubt. That's why I was a bit surprised. I really expected to be well over, and I think when I'm all said and done, I'll maybe 100 to 200 lb over depending.

I mean considering I originally couldn't even get a roof rack because of Fords gross calculations....I think I'm doing pretty good :ROFLMAO:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah no doubt. That's why I was a bit surprised. I really expected to be well over, and I think when I'm all said and done, I'll maybe 100 to 200 lb over depending.

I mean considering I originally couldn't even get a roof rack because of Fords gross calculations....I think I'm doing pretty good :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, but where would putting you over land you in the liability department? With that weight, suspension should be upgraded too and your steering rack, as both would help with improving driving dynamics.

Almost forgot, most important upgrade would be your brakes, maybe to Braptor spec.

Thoughts on any of that?

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone help me out, what happens if we're over? Axle failure when you're getting at it?

Sponsored
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I want pictures of this low rider! One of the few to take it across the scales. I know my bronco is damn heavy and I don't have aftermarket bumpers.
You'll see it at our next get together! I went to the scales in West sac...CatScale really easy to do.... cost $13 (You have to download the app ahead of time and create an account. The scales are unmanned so you do it all through the app)

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah, but where would putting you over land you in the liability department? With that weight, suspension should be upgraded too and your steering rack, as both would help with improving driving dynamics.

Almost forgot, most important upgrade would be your brakes, maybe to Braptor spec.

Thoughts on any of that?
Absolutely correct. If I'm over the limit I am putting myself at risk. I don't really like the idea, but short of buying a gladiator, not much else I can do unless I want to switch everything over to aluminum.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Absolutely correct. If I'm over the limit I am putting myself at risk. I don't really like the idea, but short of buying a gladiator, not much else I can do unless I want to switch everything over to aluminum.
. Yeah, I just fear you or anyone doing that. Aluminum, of course, but that’s expensive.

Don’t know, maybe you went to far on the armor, I’m thinking of switching out the factory plate over my transfer case, because it’s not much, but what’s really my opportunity cost? I’m not going to rock crawl this Bronco for several years yet, but part of me wants to do it now, just in case I get on a trail where I’m in over my head, but this scenario has me stuck.

Realistically, if you’re going to carry 4 people, are you really going to hit the gnarliest trails? Doubt it, so if you can shave some weight before you actually start packing, adding recovery gear, then extra fuel and water, go ahead and do it. In the end, the thin stuff still protects a bit.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m trying to keep my Badlands as light as reasonable while building it for the adventures I want to take on. Looking at an aluminum bumper and skids to shave weight. My aluminum side bars shaved about 20# compared to stock sliders with IAG steps.
Sponsored