Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Those definitely look like spot welds. Adhesive/sealant was used on the plate to ensure no leakage. Structural adhesive on such a small area wouldn’t be sufficient to sustain design load.
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good luck getting a warranty claim. If you do try taking it back to the dealership, whatever you do, do not mention anything about your diy roof rack.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Installed a 175Lb rooftop tent on top of my diy rack.
Bouncing through a hole, popped the plug welded plate off.
Someone had to find the limits 😆

View attachment 544333

View attachment 544334

View attachment 544335
Is it possible the area was contaminated by wax, hence the failure? ;)

Seriously though, that concerns me, as I plan to have various boats mounted on top at highway speeds. For me the weight won't be an issue, but would not want a mount breaking loose and have the boats and all fly up or break loose.

Sponsored

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think those mounting points were designed by the same team of 1st years that designed that genius rear hatch on the soft too.

Can’t wait to see other discoveries pop up to shake a head at.

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I've got a thread on the rack. Myn was too tall, wasn't sure on height clearance around the soft top at first. Will be going lower for less lever action.
Your rack design is the fundamental problem, very unlikely the vehicle. The lack of rear torsional support placed too much load into the front mounting points.

There are plenty of Broncos with racks and RTTs that combined weigh way more than the measly dynamic 100 lb load limit I have heard of. These folks wheel hard with no problems.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your rack design is the fundamental problem, very unlikely the vehicle. The lack of rear torsional support placed too much load into the front mounting points.

There are plenty of Broncos with racks and RTTs that combined weigh way more than the measly dynamic 100 lb load limit I have heard of. These folks wheel hard with no problems.
Exactly. Way too much torque on those windshield mounting points. You can't just bolt on things and expect it to support all that weight swaying and bouncing back and forth and expect it to hold. The flaw was in the design of the rack.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Is there a photo of the rack in this thread? I didn't see one.

OP
OP
Malicar

Malicar

Badlands
First Name
Jessy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree on the problem.
The height of the racks front blocks were main issue though. Torque is increased further out you are.
Rear of the rack was fine, had turnbuckles installed. No sway/torsion.
Rear is what kept everything sturdy enough to drive home.

I've seen quite a few broncos with rtt as well. Haven't seen any of them wheel their's with the rtt and gear on though.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I agree on the problem.
The height of the racks front blocks were main issue though. Torque is increased further out you are.
Rear of the rack was fine, had turnbuckles installed. No sway/torsion.
Rear is what kept everything sturdy enough to drive home.

I've seen quite a few broncos with rtt as well. Haven't seen any of them wheel their's with the rtt and gear on though.
I disagree on your view of the problem. No matter how stiff you tried to make it, a single center (and) hitch mount for a roof rack will permit too much torsion of the rack. That leads to the large tension and compression loads at the front corners, of which the tension clearly caused your issue.

Do you doubt a Bronco can wheel hard with a traditional multi-point roof rack and attachment system on a hard top? I've not personally seen one do so myself, but I have full confidence folks have and do so without issue.

His design....

IMG_20230701_095420.jpg
Sponsored