Sponsored

Update: On 4th fitted Differential, 3rd Differential lasts 2 months New Front Differential Implodes in 2 miles

Gotchaa

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My 2023 SAS Wildtrak has the infamous front differential leak within 8k miles.

Ford service center confirmed the issue and ordered a new front differential per Ford’s repair guidance. It was installed and I was called to pick it up today.

Upon arriving I asked them to put it on a rack and show me the repairs. Tech was nice enough to walk me through and show his work. All looked good.

I left with it in Sport mode, got on the freeway for 2 miles and all of the sudden large grinding sound like nothing else and the Bronco felt like it was bucking front forward. I was going about 50 mph and in right lane, so I quickly pulled over, called Ford up and had them pick me up. I put it in 2A, tried to reverse and clicking/grinding sound, took it real slow to give the tow truck space to load it up.

It’s currently being diagnosed Differential, for sure another front differential, but I don’t know what else may have been damaged in the incident.

First time Ford owner here, and very bummed out with the quality of this part. Don’t think it’s an install issue as there really isn’t much the tech could have done, this was a swap out job and they had it with an 8yr tech.

I have read many owners having this issue with differential leaks, but not sure how many have had a new differential fail on them. What could be going on here bad part? My biggest concern is what other damage was done and is the service tech going to do a complete check.

I am not even 11 month in to this yet, and no extended warranty :(

We were planning to head to the mountains for some snowboarding this next week, won’t be in the Bronco.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hopefully, it wasn’t due to leaving replacement diff empty of fluid.
I am not sure, but I believe they ship from the warehouse with it, I would think it would be checked. Let’s see what their investigation finds

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let’s not be so fast to let the tech off the hook with this one OP. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad tech or was being malicious; just human maybe. I’m sure he feels terrible about it and is breaking things down to figure it out right now for you; he cares about his work.

However, forgetting to add oil is rare, but can happen, or maybe not enough. Even possible he either failed to, or failed to for all, torque the bolts proper, or seal it; it happens.

Good thing is you’d just left the shop, so they’ll take care of it. You can also change your own front diff oil in the future to the brand of your choice, although nothing wrong with the Motorcraft.

Hope they sort out quickly and you don’t have this issue again. Good luck!

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Call ford and tell them you experience. As for an extended warranty because you are worried there will be more problems. Use a tone of voice a grandmother that is worried about her grandkids would use. I bet ford hooks you up.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Front diff leaking requires a full replacement?
I thought they just replaced the seal?
Stinks either way and hope they get ya back out on the road soon.
That's all I got. I'm going back for my new diff, but I want it in 5.38 for my trouble! 😁

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You pulled over and put it in 2a ?

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

DeepBronco

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2023 SAS Wildtrak has the infamous front differential leak within 8k miles.

Ford service center confirmed the issue and ordered a new front differential per Ford’s repair guidance. It was installed and I was called to pick it up today.

Upon arriving I asked them to put it on a rack and show me the repairs. Tech was nice enough to walk me through and show his work. All looked good.

I left with it in Sport mode, got on the freeway for 2 miles and all of the sudden large grinding sound like nothing else and the Bronco felt like it was bucking front forward. I was going about 50 mph and in right lane, so I quickly pulled over, called Ford up and had them pick me up. I put it in 2A, tried to reverse and clicking/grinding sound, took it real slow to give the tow truck space to load it up.

It’s currently being diagnosed Differential, for sure another front differential, but I don’t know what else may have been damaged in the incident.

First time Ford owner here, and very bummed out with the quality of this part. Don’t think it’s an install issue as there really isn’t much the tech could have done, this was a swap out job and they had it with an 8yr tech.

I have read many owners having this issue with differential leaks, but not sure how many have had a new differential fail on them. What could be going on here bad part? My biggest concern is what other damage was done and is the service tech going to do a complete check.

I am not even 11 month in to this yet, and no extended warranty :(

We were planning to head to the mountains for some snowboarding this next week, won’t be in the Bronco.
[Warrior.

I wish Ford would be more honest about thier TSB's and send them out to customers! It's like they want failures first.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wish Ford would be more honest about thier TSB's and send them out to customers! It's like they want failures first.
TSBs aren’t warranty unless the vehicle is exhibiting the issue listed. Also, the issue doesn’t typically happen on every vehicle listed in the TSB, so why even send a letter?

“Hey.. you may have this issue eventually, but also the vehicle could go its whole life without any problem..”
Imagine all the people flocking to dealerships saying they want it repaired even though nothing is wrong.

DeepBronco

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TSBs aren’t warranty unless the vehicle is exhibiting the issue listed. Also, the issue doesn’t typically happen on every vehicle listed in the TSB, so why even send a letter?

“Hey.. you may have this issue eventually, but also the vehicle could go its whole life without any problem..”
Imagine all the people flocking to dealerships saying they want it repaired even though nothing is wrong.

As you said, if nothing is wrong then nothing gets repaired. But if there is a potential problem I would rather know what potential issues it could be from and know where to start looking. Obvious issues aside I would have the TSB to discuss with the dealership. Without it I am in the dark and the dealership has the upper hand. This is not my first rodeo with a new vehicles and having issues (Chysler, Isuzu, VW and now Ford again).

OP
OP
Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Let’s not be so fast to let the tech off the hook with this one OP. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad tech or was being malicious; just human maybe. I’m sure he feels terrible about it and is breaking things down to figure it out right now for you; he cares about his work.

However, forgetting to add oil is rare, but can happen, or maybe not enough. Even possible he either failed to, or failed to for all, torque the bolts proper, or seal it; it happens.

Good thing is you’d just left the shop, so they’ll take care of it. You can also change your own front diff oil in the future to the brand of your choice, although nothing wrong with the Motorcraft.

Hope they sort out quickly and you don’t have this issue again. Good luck!

Yes I am glad it happened right away. I checked in on it today, and they have a new from differential ordered so far. I am kind of worried about where the drive shaft connects to it. I was assured everything would be inspected and any parts needed would be ordered under warranty.

I am waiting to hear what happened, right now their are working under the assumption that it was a defective part from the manufacturer.

I called Ford customer service and they were pretty much useless, all they wanted to know is if I wanted to request a repurchase and go through that process. I asked about extending the warranty and I was told nobody at Ford Corp could do that. I don’t know if this is true or not. But I have to say it really is not a good feeling to be dealing with this at 8k miles after waiting 3 years and wondering when the next issue is going to happen.

Honestly going 50mph and having the Bronco buck like that was very unsettling, it could have been worse had I been going faster, thank goodness for LA traffic I guess.

To me this is a safety issue and more importantly a trust in the Bronco issue, like if I can’t have it run on paved roads without issues, am I going to feel comfortable wheeling again with lockers on wondering if I am going to get stranded deep on a trail?

I mean just look at the threads with people having this issue with the front differential, how is this not a manufacturing part issue?

I had a new in the crate differential shipped and installed and it failed. Unbelievable, not even a TSB about the leak.
Sponsored