Sponsored

Haven't 100% decided on a Bronco yet, but we really want one...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
my bronco is the best vehicle i have ever owned
sure it has its issues but all were fixable
if its in your budget and your dna lol grab one
I really enjoyed my 21 Badlands...I think it looked great, I could fit my dogs with some finagling and removing the rear seats, and it was zippy to drive with the 2.7. It also was very capable off-road, although regardless of what a lot of people say on this forum I believe my 2006 LJ Jeep was actually more capable off-road simply because of much stronger steering components...and I enjoyed having a manual transfer case lever and I didn't need all the electronic nannies that the Bronco came with. The Bronco did eclipse the Jeep on the road, so as others have mentioned it really all depends on how much time you plan to spend on road versus off-road. I can also say that it's a day and night difference jumping from the Bronco to my wife's 4Runner...the 4Runner is much quieter, obviously because of the non-removable roof and just the high quality Toyota engineering in general...and I would wager that the 4Runner with general maintenance will last a lot longer than any of the new generation Broncos. Due to the length of the 4Rrunner, it didn't have as desirable of angles as the Bronco did for some of the more challenging off-roading, but that's to be expected with any vehicle with similar dimensions. I sold the Bronco to buy something more simplistic, and I will use that for my dedicated crawler with a fair amount of street driving...and the 4Runner will work great for lighter off-roading and lots more on-roading. If I did it all over again today and I wanted to save a whole bunch of money I'd go with the solid front axle Land cruiser back from the '90s or even an FJ60 or 62 series if I had more than two people to schlep around. The removal top thing is cool and all, but if you don't absolutely need to take your top and doors off it is tough to beat a vehicle with a solid roof for not only structural integrity but also comfort and reliability. My wife was watching this video the other day and I think after having owned the Bronco for several years that it is one of the most balanced and accurate things to consider before you buy one (don't let the name of the video keep you from watching the whole thing...it really is worthwhile to check out)...much of what he shared is exactly what many people on this forum have also experienced:

I don't regret having owned my Bronco, but I will say that I'm on the impulsive side and it may not have been the best vehicle for ME... but I'm sure the Bronco suits lots of other people based on their wants and needs. The part in the video about the old Bronco was spot on. As for glitches on the Bronco I personally experienced, they were:

It refused to start after randomly shutting off while parked on a slight incline for no apparent reason...it was running, then with foot in the brake shifted to reverse, and it just shut off and wouldn't restart until several attempts later while toying with the sequence of when ebrake was engaged/disengaged. I always try to have car out of park on a hill before releasing ebrake so as not to damage parking pawl. No codes were stored, so that experience was never actually fully understood.

While wheeling and one wheel was in the air and other three were on the ground I had dash light up like Christmas tree and I lost sway bar control/4L/etc. I managed to get back to the staging area (I was on Rubicon Trail), and not until about 15 minutes after driving on highway did warnings go off. Again, no stored codes.

My HVAC fan sounded like a B-29 when running on any fan speed. I figured even though I'm a mechanic I would just take it into the dealer because it was under warranty, but when I took it there and I was able to listen to the text via the camcorder I had installed, I heard them say "hey we never taken one of these apart before and "we're not sure what could be causing it." They told me that if they did take it apart and found something like a leaf in there, then it would be on me to pay for the labor and whatnot...so I decided to just turn the radio up louder whenever using AC or heat. I didn't feel like taking the gamble of having them tear into it having never done it before or me tearing into it and spending all that time even though it was under warranty.

Not bad for a first-year vehicle, but I was also in that weird day range of engines exploding from the bad batch of valves... And I sold it with only $7,000 miles on it because it was unnerving to drive it wondering if it was going to blow up while in the middle of an intersection or something.

Hopefully whatever you end up buying ends up being not only reliable but also enjoyable!
Sponsored

Last edited:

williamshafer

Black Diamond
First Name
William Shafer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Overall you have to ask yourself (and your wife) what you expect the Bronco to be and to do for your needs.
I love mine.
But it is pretty much exactly what I imagined it would be (and better in some ways), coming from a soft top Jeep owner.
It drives better than a Jeep, rides better.
It will not be nearly as "cushy" or quiet as a solid-roofed SUV, no matter what top you go with or what you do. It is not the intended purpose of it TO be that.
A lot of used ones are hitting lots now because of several reasons that we can all speculate and agree/disagree on.
MY opinion is that it is the "new and shiny thing that is hard to get" period is over, and it is definitely not some luxury-brand ultra-plush and quiet SUV.
I think more than a few assumed it was more quiet and such solely based on demand and pricing of the upper models.
Have you driven a Bronco yet?
If not, I would suggest starting there vs. asking opinions on here, of which you will get a large variance of.
And I'm not talking a guided 5 minute jaunt down a 45mph street and back.
Take it for an hour or more.
Side streets, streets that are in some disrepair, interstates at speed.
Put all 3 kids in the back seat and see how they fit and how they feel about the time spent back there.
Then make your decision based on your experience, or at least it being the largest factor in your decision. Not others' opinions that may not equate to your use-case and/or expectation.

EDIT: All that said, my OPINION here is that I love mine. Still do, wish I had the stronger steering components and the better Soft top now on the 24's, but such is life. I'd make the same decision to buy it now that I did a couple years and 45K trouble-free miles back.
Can second all the opinions here. On my second Bronco and not disappointed at all with power or capability. It's a true utility vehicle that rides better than the Wrangler. Therefore don't expect luxury. If you keep that in mind, then the Bronco will probably be a good fit for someone who does a lot of outdoor activity.

OP
OP

Splattered23

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2022 F150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Have you reviewed the new Toyota LC 250. 1958 trim supposed to come in at 55K'ish and made in Japan.
We looked at some of the stuff online... 8.7" ground clearance puts it closer to something like the telluride and it looks like a comfy interior but only 5 seater... and then it has the 2.4L hybrid engine. Puts out impressive numbers and can tow 6k lbs (!) but i'm still wary of hybrid engines for some reason. Looks nice otherwise. Not coming out till spring though :/

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We looked at some of the stuff online... 8.7" ground clearance puts it closer to something like the telluride and it looks like a comfy interior but only 5 seater... and then it has the 2.4L hybrid engine. Puts out impressive numbers and can tow 6k lbs (!) but i'm still wary of hybrid engines for some reason. Looks nice otherwise. Not coming out till spring though :/
It might have 9" at the diff on stock tires but its probably 14" everywhere else, unlike what the telluride would be

Also with a transfer case and low range and rear locker etc it would be way more capable.

I think 3 kids in a bronco back seat would be a tough ask, especially if any still need a booster seat etc.

DBX2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco; '23 F150 reg cab 5.0, custom interior
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can second all the opinions here. On my second Bronco and not disappointed at all with power or capability. It's a true utility vehicle that rides better than the Wrangler. Therefore don't expect luxury. If you keep that in mind, then the Bronco will probably be a good fit for someone who does a lot of outdoor activity.
Agreed .
The 2D Wildtrak works for us - just us and a 80# German Shepherd. Plenty of room to haul whatever for the latest home improvement project, vacation stuff, etc. The 2.7 has plenty of beans; the heated seats, auto temp are the only real creature comforts we want. Given your family, go with the 4D. We’ve had NO issues and absolutely love it. Head and shoulders better than the wranglers we’ve owned with a greater fun factor for all seasons. A sturdy feel much like the Expeditions, Explorers, F150/250’s we’ve owned but in a smaller package. The Hot Pepper Red is an awesome color - looks like an on-fire sunset.

Sponsored

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a Ford guy, I have two other Fords in addition to the Bronco a 2013 F-150 and a 2018 Flex, with 206,000 miles and 115,000 miles respectively. They are great vehicles, have always been a Ford, so it saddens me to tell you what I'm about to tell you. I would not recommend a current Ford under the management the company now has. They have admitted to major quality issues and don't seem to be doing enough to fix them. They have received the Recall Crown the past three years and can't seem to get it straight. Over the past 12 months, my 2022 Bronco has been in the shop for nearly 3 months, so about 20-25% of the time. I'm paying my payment and insurance on a brand new car I can't use, it sucks. It had to have the manual transmission fixed on a TSB, I was told 1 week but the dealer, they took over 3 weeks because they didn't have the right tools🤷‍♂️. I had an issue with the vehicle not restarting and losing brakes, which caused an accident. While the Bronco was at the dealer, I just got another letter about another recall. I love my Fords, but this current situation is a mess. Even when you bring them in to get stuff done, they take super long times to fix things. I realize all manufacturers are dealing with supply issues, but Ford is the worst at this time, so it seems. I really hope Ford rights the ship, but I could not recommend one at this time. Now beyond that, I love the Bronco, mechanically it seems nearly perfect. I have wheeled a fair amount with it and it seems to do everything I ask of it, but it really has too many computer issues and software problems to really be reliable. It is a super fun vehicle...when it actually works. Good luck on your decision either way.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Its unfortunate that you are not near a Bronco Off-Rodeo site. I placed my 24 order the moment the order bank opened and did Moab in October. After Moab, I knew that, for me and what I intend to use it for, it was a prefect fit. That said, my daily driver is a Cadillac Escalade so for long road trips, outside of hunting UT, MT and SD, I already have a comfortable road car so the utilitarian aspect of the Bronco is irrelevant and is actually welcome.

CelticCactus

Badlands
First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everything the others have said is true. It's rugged and built for a very specific purpose, and dare I say... personality. I am in LOVE with my Badlands, so like any loving parent, I don't mind the few flaws others seem to notice and be irritated by. Like the weak audio system, the wind noise (actually helps me not get car sick if I'm not the one driving), the lack of interior lighting, cup holders, air flow in the back seat. I love how it handles and performs on and off the asphalt, and that's what I bought it for. I came out of a Grand Cherokee that I drove over 150k miles in and the kids and I all loved, was quite comfy in with all the inside bells. However, it wouldn't go where the Bronco can, was smaller, and I felt was more delicate so I babied it. Before that I had a 4Runner, which I also loved and drove over 270k miles in, with 3 kids. My biggest issue with the 4Runner was the serious lack of power at take off.
If I were picking one today, I would go with the Bronco, no hands down. But after your wife drives one for more than around the block, she might need to decide if interior or exterior is what's important to her

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Everything the others have said is true. It's rugged and built for a very specific purpose, and dare I say... personality. I am in LOVE with my Badlands, so like any loving parent, I don't mind the few flaws others seem to notice and be irritated by. Like the weak audio system, the wind noise (actually helps me not get car sick if I'm not the one driving), the lack of interior lighting, cup holders, air flow in the back seat. I love how it handles and performs on and off the asphalt, and that's what I bought it for. I came out of a Grand Cherokee that I drove over 150k miles in and the kids and I all loved, was quite comfy in with all the inside bells. However, it wouldn't go where the Bronco can, was smaller, and I felt was more delicate so I babied it. Before that I had a 4Runner, which I also loved and drove over 270k miles in, with 3 kids. My biggest issue with the 4Runner was the serious lack of power at take off.
If I were picking one today, I would go with the Bronco, no hands down. But after your wife drives one for more than around the block, she might need to decide if interior or exterior is what's important to her
I second the gutlessness of the 4Runner...but recently a flash performance tune woke it up. It by no means would have hung with the Bronco, but no more random gear hunting and the pedal response is much better. I prefer the superior zip of the Bronco, but I would wager that the turboed 2.7 won't last as nearly as long as the naturally-aspirated Toyota mill.

woof

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW X5, 2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I love these threads as I get to show off my great humility and long life of countless vehicles.
For me, family car and toy did not mix, especially with kids. My land cruiser was the closest if I had to pick and it lasted the longest, 4 years and 55k miles. I standardized on the Yukon XL(we had several) when the price of the Landcruiser became out of reach, for the 15 years we were hauling kids. I felt the balancing of the Yukon was great for snow and it simply was large and safe. Fun cars were additional, 4 jeeps, corvette and a few BMWs. Today, with one last kid in the house, we have a BMW X5 for the family car and the Bronco 4 door. The kid still complains about the lack of vents in the Bronco and whatever else they can find with the Bronco.... My two cents are to purchase within your means and to not combine family with fun vehicles, ultimately, they never make everyone happy....

edit - I forgot to say that the Bronco is my favorite off-road highway princess so far. It will see light duty trails, but the ability around the Bronco is just cool. My 23 Bronco has had no issues so far, 9 months in and 7K miles

Sponsored
OP
OP

Splattered23

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Alrighty... we finally test drove the Bronco and my wife fell mad in love with it today. They didn't even have any with the Lux package but they did have the Wildtrak for us to check out. I will say sitting in it later personally the back felt fairly small, but 99% of the time we are going to just have two kids back there. We took it on the freeway but were stuck behind some vehicles and couldn't go over 60mph... that being said the road noise didn't bother us whatsoever for the entire drive. Turned on the radio turned it up and it seemed fine for what it is. The interior DOES feel kind of cheap with lots of hard plastics but it LOOKS nice and i'm assuming makes easier to clean? Haha I thought it was plenty comfortable seat-wise and i appreciated the view height as i normally drive my Tremor. I would be good with the Bronco too.

After that we drove to the Mazda dealership and checked out the CX5, CX-50 and CX-90. But didn't DRIVE any of them. We were there probably 20 minutes or so and not a single sales rep came up to us we were kind of surprised. They all look SUPER nice but my wife was already head over heels for the Bronco so i think we are sold. Just need to find the right one. Looking for used to save just a bit of money... we want the lux package for sure but are also looking for modular bumper, hard top, upgraded seats, and the tow package pre-installed. Sooo making it difficult to find the exact one we want.

The Wildtrak we drove had the soft top and we totally forgot about it while driving around in 20 degree weather. Should we definitely go for a hard top and buy a soft top later? Or vice versa? We do want the modular bumper over the plastic default one... and the tow hitch i think would just work out best if pre-installed? So... the search is officially on. :)

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
When we had kids in the house, we had an Expedition, and before that a different Expedition.

Liked everything about the Expy except the transmission. I HATE driving automatics. I'm willing to put up with the Bronco's quirks because I could get a stick shift.

If the wife wants an automatic, and doesn't want to deal with the downsides of a removable top, buy a 4WD Expedition.

OP
OP

Splattered23

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just a quick question... are we overly limiting ourselves trying to find the perfect unicorn of a 23 Wildtrak with the modular bumper and tow? How hard/expensive would it be to add those after the fact? At first we were also strictly looking for hard top but after checking out the soft top and driving we are more flexible on the top. Seems like nearly ALL the used 23 models have the plastic front bumper though.. we are wanting the modular bumper and the bull bar attachment.

woof

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW X5, 2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wanted the hardtop, but like you, inventory was low. We wound up with a soft top and we have been very pleased. I can open it in under 10 seconds, and drive off, very easy. Our jeep was a hard top(had to take panels out and then pack in the bag and store), but lessons learned here, and I learned it twice: The vehicle height (Sasquatch package), with the top open = no bueno for my track home garage. The only two times I have had to deflate the tires to 6-8psi were not for off roading, but getting the bronco unstuck from being trapped under the header of my garage when pulling in, ugh #facepalm... Top and tires are undamaged, very impressive. Splintered wooden header of my track home, not very impressive

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just a quick question... are we overly limiting ourselves trying to find the perfect unicorn of a 23 Wildtrak with the modular bumper and tow? How hard/expensive would it be to add those after the fact? At first we were also strictly looking for hard top but after checking out the soft top and driving we are more flexible on the top. Seems like nearly ALL the used 23 models have the plastic front bumper though.. we are wanting the modular bumper and the bull bar attachment.
If you are like 95% of us and only need a 4-pin harness, it costs about $220 for the harness and receiver and a few hours of your time to add tow. Finding the mod bumper can be hit and miss, when I have seen them around here, guys are asking $700-800.
Sponsored