Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes. Have you?
Nope. I sure haven’t. In my situation I was going too fast- 70mph. How fast were you going when you pulled it- what was the situation? How were your brakes after that?
Sponsored

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here’s an exercise and a possible teaching opportunity for everyone:
with no traffic or obstacles about, and sitting on a substantial hill or incline, without starting your vehicle, put it in Neutral, allow to roll and apply brakes - this is unboosted brake function.

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just have to put this out there for all the “scared” people posting. First, we are hearing a dealer said statement which means all y’all better have had that mandatory drink. Second, let’s chill some and not lose our reasoning to understand that this could be a one off issue. It could also be a big issue, we don’t know yet. Third, practice your emergency procedures. I have never understood a responsible person who claims that their wife, daughter, son, mom, dog drive a vehicle yet are unaware of the available procedures and systems available to them in an emergency. Read the manual, practice the procedure in a safe environment, and don’t expect it to stick with one read. Review it and refresh periodically.

I know, soap box, but a life long career as a firefighter, a life of aviation and flying in my blood, a precious Marine Corps career servicing all the electronics systems on fighter aircraft, and a desperate love of my family and anyone who might ride in a vehicle I own, mandates a level of preparedness well beyond hopping in and hitting the start button. My wife still gives me playful grief whenever we leave or arrive as I go through all the “procedures”, especially at arrival where the HVAC is turned off, the radio turned down, all electrics powered off, etc. before I turn off the engine.

Flame away but we need to be pragmatic in our approach to these things and be personally responsible for the outcome of any use of our Broncos.

And, we have a 2.3 l Bronco in our possession with our second Bronco being built week of 1-10-22 with the 2.7 l. I have as much skin in the game as anyone here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oly

Oly

Outer Banks
First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Brake boosters should be, and all are AFAIK, designed in such a way that in the event of a booster failure there is still unboosted brake function, that will by definition require more pedal pressure but still apply braking to the wheels.
With that in mind, have to ask OP if there was any effect of applying high pedal pressure?
Yup. In my OP I mentioned it was a really tough press and I used that in combo of the shift buttons to pull over. But in that situation when I felt the crazy push back pressure and the dash alarm was going off I jammed my foot on the brake but I wasn't stopping fast enough. I’m sure in hindsight there are a million things I could have done. My point on the post is that this is a known issue and it is unsafe and for those that might be affected to be in the know to stay safe as well. The car is like 3 weeks old. This should not happen.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup. In my OP I mentioned it was a really tough press and I used that in combo of the shift buttons to pull over. But in that situation when I felt the crazy push back pressure and the dash alarm was going off I jammed my foot on the brake but I wasn't stopping fast enough. I’m sure in hindsight there are a million things I could have done. My point on the post is that this is a known issue and it is unsafe and for those that might be affected to be in the know to stay safe as well. The car is like 3 weeks old. This should not happen.
Right….I’m just trying to calm down the masses here somewhat by explaining what a brake BOOSTER failure means.
I’m in no way suggesting that FOMOCO not address this issue.

Sponsored

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

….would also directly ask the servicing dealer what, if any, codes were thrown. I suspect a brake booster failure would throw a code and be at least somewhat diagnostic.

OP
OP
Oly

Oly

Outer Banks
First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

….would also directly ask the servicing dealer what, if any, codes were thrown. I suspect a brake booster failure would throw a code and be at least somewhat diagnostic.
For sure — I’ll update that when I get it. In my situation the brake system alarm message cleared but the brake light (the one that shows up when your e brake is on) stayed illuminated and remains illuminated. Do you know if we can get that info from the Ford pass app? Shouldn’t that show car error alerts? Right now I see nothing. Not that expect too much from that app just thought I’d see something in there?

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What interior does your Bronco have? I ask because if it is leather, it will be rather difficult to remove that brown stain in the seat. I know I would have soiled myself had the occurred to me. Glad you are okay.

Sand70

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My biggest complaint (this week) is that the emergency brake is electromagnetic.. and fails into the on position, at that.

Losing your brakes is a lot less scary when you have a backup that you can modulate. As is, your options are to do what you did, or hit the e-brake and hold on for dear life. She's gonna buck!

Good thinking and glad you made it out alive.
Well......it is a Bronco. :)

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Feel better?
It's not about my feelings. It’s about how we approach things and fail to take appropriate steps in advance of an issue and then how we are prepared to respond, instead of react, when we need to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oly

Oly

Outer Banks
First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes. Have you? See my board name, synonymous with safety first. Train the brain just as I did when I was an engineer on a 50,000 lb fire appartus. It also doesn’t buck when you drive along and pop the air brake.
Ha! Good for you. As I mentioned we are getting more info, although this is a really serious issue that needs to be addressed and if others have experienced similar situations this is how we will get Ford to remedy. Not all of us are firefighters and engineers but we aren't idiots. Safety is saftey. While knowing procedures is important, and while knowing how to resolve issues is important - we need to know what the issues are so we can be prepared and protect our loved ones and our investment. Ease up on us simple folks.

mrdibbles

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands - SAS w/ LUX Package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The dealership warranty replaced my ABS/Master Cyl./Brake Booster unit several weeks ago due to braking issue. My issue was not at speed but on inclines and at very slow speeds when I was slowly coming to a stop. Took 3-weeks to get the part.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

its not about my feelings. It’s about how we approach things and fail to take appropriate steps in advance of an issue and then how we are prepared to respond, instead of react, when we need to.
Maybe there’s multiple approaches to an issue? Fact finding being one of those. Holding the company accountable for their product is another.

Having an anonymous user telling everyone they’re a firefighter and former marine and how they should react on a forum…devoted to sharing information on that product… is another approach.

So, while I appreciate your service, I don’t appreciate your approach to condemn others for asking questions and conveying their concerns.

I think you have a good opinion about preparing for catastrophic failure, but how many Bronco Reservation holders do you believe have a manual to look at? Would that manual explain this very severe issue? How many future Bronco owners will be aware of something so widely known by the techs who work on the vehicle but that is being kept secret.

Let’s face it… @Ford Motor Company hasn’t earned the benefit of our doubt (Hello Pinto!). It’s perfectly acceptable to remind them their poor decisions to place profits (Sales-recalls/lawsuits) over customers is FRESH in the buyers mindset.

This current environment (delayed launch, pandemic, rampant supplier & design issues) is RIPE for negligence. You being a fire fighter should understand this is procedurally a part of insuring the vehicles safety systems are up to par.
Sponsored

Last edited: