Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, Porsche Macan S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am running the 4ohm Kicker sub with the fusion amp. It’s a great upgrade, but I’m looking for a deeper and clearer low end.
Does anyone have experience making a similar change and if so, can you describe the difference it made in the overall listening experience?
Current setup-
Kicker 4ohm 6 3/4 sub with Fusion amp
Kicker 200.4
Dash- 4” Polk audio
Kick panel-stock
Rear-6 1/2” Polk audio with Mabett pods
Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am running the 4ohm Kicker sub with the fusion amp. It’s a great upgrade, but I’m looking for a deeper and clearer low end.
Does anyone have experience making a similar change and if so, can you describe the difference it made in the overall listening experience?
Current setup-
Kicker 4ohm 6 3/4 sub with Fusion amp
Kicker 200.4
Dash- 4” Polk audio
Kick panel-stock
Rear-6 1/2” Polk audio with Mabett pods
I went with the Kicker DVC 8" and the Kicker Key 500.1 amp. It makes a very nice improvement over the small factory sub. I have a write up on the install but it is on the other forum. Some very minor trimming of the factory box is required but not difficult at all . You also need to put sound deadening material on the areas around it to prevent any rattles.

OP
OP
ILoveToDrive

ILoveToDrive

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with the Kicker DVC 8" and the Kicker Key 500.1 amp. It makes a very nice improvement over the small factory sub. I have a write up on the install but it is on the other forum. Some very minor trimming of the factory box is required but not difficult at all . You also need to put sound deadening material on the areas around it to prevent any rattles.
Thanks. I’m not going any deeper into amp upgrades. The sub will be my last change if I do it.
I might consider upgrading the kick panel speakers to a higher quality 6 “…probably stay with the Polk audios, but not sure if the “juice is worth the squeeze “ on that change.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks. I’m not going any deeper into amp upgrades. The sub will be my last change if I do it.
I might consider upgrading the kick panel speakers to a higher quality 6 “…probably stay with the Polk audios, but not sure if the “juice is worth the squeeze “ on that change.
I went with 8" Kicker also (B&O) and upgraded all my other speakers. I was going to wait on the amp but figured I have everything taken apart - no sense in waiting. I went with a Kicker Key 500.1 also. It is a world of difference. As for the kick panels - I also wanted to hold off, but then I saw a member that upgraded to the Memphis MJP6 speakers - super high efficiency and I figured I could get an improvement without going for another amp - it worked and was a nice mid range fill for the front soundstage - which was excessively bright with the new Inifintiys all around. Unfortunately I think you are going to need an amp - but if you don't mind trying without first - give it a shot. Not sure about non B&O, but the B&O enclosure requires no trimming (except for a tiny centering tab on the outside of the enclosure. The beauty ring on the Kicker does need to get trimmed/removed. Poly fill is your friend.
Ford Bronco Kicker 8” vs 6 3/4 subwoofer PXL_20240316_005305105
Ford Bronco Kicker 8” vs 6 3/4 subwoofer PXL_20240316_002009675
Ford Bronco Kicker 8” vs 6 3/4 subwoofer PXL_20240316_001957488
Ford Bronco Kicker 8” vs 6 3/4 subwoofer PXL_20240311_011040910 (1)
Ford Bronco Kicker 8” vs 6 3/4 subwoofer PXL_20240309_022545623 (1)
Ford Bronco Kicker 8” vs 6 3/4 subwoofer PXL_20240309_151452381
Ford Bronco Kicker 8” vs 6 3/4 subwoofer PXL_20240309_024739671

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have both the 6.5 and the 8”.

I had the 6.5 installed with the factory port open, whereas when I switched to the 8 I sealed the port up.

I think sealing the port up had more to do with my change in sound than swapping the woofer, to be honest.

I had a lot less boom at specific frequencies - with the 6 there were a handful of frequencies where it would just boom, and others where it would be almost silent. It still does this a bit the sealed 8, but much, much less.

The biggest difference between the two is the 6.5 is a 150W coil, the 8 is a 300W coil. That said, without changing my amp at all - the 8 did sound fuller and louder - but I suspect this is was due to having less fall off at non-resonance frequencies.

Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I had the 6.5 installed with the factory port open, whereas when I switched to the 8 I sealed the port up.

I think sealing the port up had more to do with my change in sound than swapping the woofer, to be honest.

I had a lot less boom at specific frequencies - with the 6 there were a handful of frequencies where it would just boom, and others where it would be almost silent. It still does this a bit the sealed 8, but much, much less.

The biggest difference between the two is the 6.5 is a 150W coil, the 8 is a 300W coil. That said, without changing my amp at all - the 8 did sound fuller and louder - but I suspect this is was due to having less fall off at non-resonance frequencies.
Interesting. Have the parts to do the 6.5 to 8 swap, but haven't come across anyone sealing the factory sub box. How did you do it?

Last edited:

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting. Have the parts to do the 6.5 to 8 swap, but haven't come across anyone sealing the factory sub box. How did you do it?
You can use a spray foam in a can solution but mine sounded better left open and then loosely filling with poly-fill. The DVC Kicker 8" is almost a perfect match for the transmission line port of the factory enclosure. I'd suggest trying both ways before you put everything back together. You can stuff a pc of foam or a sock in the port temporarily just to see the difference .

OP
OP
ILoveToDrive

ILoveToDrive

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I poly filled the Mabett pods with 6” Polk audios and poly filled the sub enclosure with as much as I could stuff in there. The poly fill cleaned up the sound a ton! I think I’m good now.
Sponsored