Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This is a lot to read.... There is a reason we use straight cut gears over helical cut gears in race transmissions, different application, same philosophy's. I also have issues with anything cast vs billet in these types of applications, but thats been explained already.
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn man. Dropping some bombs here. It all makes sense though.
I don't think I'm making any claims about the influencer economy that isn't well known to those who are paying attention. They can act adjacent to but different shades of gray to con artistry, which is generally considered a more directly interpersonal sort of influencing. You may even be choosing to believe some you approve of, even though you know they're full of it.

It's a whole range, and specifically I'm not saying he's a con artist. It's possible he's even taken in by what he says, too. It's just the nature of the beast. We're all a little nuts, just more careful/paranoid in some respects.

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think I'm making any claims about the influencer economy that isn't well known to those who are paying attention. They can act adjacent to but different shades of gray to con artistry, which is generally considered a more directly interpersonal sort of influencing. You may even be choosing to believe some you approve of, even though you know they're full of it.

It's a whole range, and specifically I'm not saying he's a con artist. It's possible he's even taken in by what he says, too. It's just the nature of the beast. We're all a little nuts, just more careful/paranoid in some respects.
Or some of us are more skilled at hiding it than others:).

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Winner! 🥇 🥇

As an ex-presi, err, influencer believes, any publicity is good, even the negative. It'll drive views, engagement, etc and make money.

And you're right too @PEGB , some are VERY GOOD at hiding it and convincing the masses.

Looks like I'm set on some 74weld portals, and maybe, just maybe, they'll drop in price soon with financing... 😅

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've said from the beginning that I wouldn't trust a single thing designed by Tyler. Compare his informational portal videos to 74Welds and it is night and day. They guy doesn't have a clue what he is talking about and is just repeating what someone else has told him.

The bolt on portals are a bad idea. There is not a way to "fix" the idea, it just fundamentally is not structurally sound based on the width and structural loads the OEM cast upright was designed for. The helical gears are a bad idea because of the significant structural loads in the axial directions. Heat, load, inefficiency, thickness. He doesn't seem to get it and it is all a grift for parking lot show offs.

He constantly drives with something allegedly damaged on his bronco so that when the portals break he has something to blame it on.

And the hypocrisy of cutting out the designer and going directly to the overseas manufacturer after he ranted many times about being against is. He puts on this super patriot red mantra in all of his videos and public presentation but as soon as he stands to profit he flops at the first opportunity to support communist country's manufacturing. The ultimate grifter and conman.

Sadly I am sure this will be successful until someone gets injured or killed and he gets sued out of the market.

Sponsored

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you pass my quiz?
Bevel Gear Equations.png
bevel gear blank dims-Model.png

This is a first semester class quiz on gear design... These are a rather simple bevel cut gear... Helical gears are considerably more complicated....
Thank you for the flashback to 1992 😃. I would need to study this a lot to pass as my entire engineering career has been thermo and heat transfer with a bit of beam deflection on the side!

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sadly I am sure this will be successful until someone gets injured or killed and he gets sued out of the market.
I'm not going to criticize those who are choosing to put their money on the cheaper portals. Each of us has our price point. I do wonder if people who are serious about off roading will see a $5k premium all that problematic compared to the competition.

Sometimes spending the extra money is simply worth it. As you point out, putting a potentially problematic part on your wheels could very easily lead to catastrophe. However, my guess is that those contemplating these portals are not necessarily aware of others out there, and may in many cases be breaking open the piggy bank to get them.

I would simply caution anyone looking at portals from any manufacturer to slow down. Let the more capable and knowledgeable take the early risks. For me personally, that meant waiting at least a year for 74W portals, to see how it goes. And to give myself enough time to talk myself out of them... lol

Last edited:

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thank you for the flashback to 1992 😃. I would need to study this a lot to pass as my entire engineering career has been thermo and heat transfer with a bit of beam deflection on the side!
So you are saying that you had a generalized education and then specialized based on the jobs you had? To be honest sounds like you did it right.... And see I did not specialize in much of anything... Caught in that "general" category. Jack of all trades and master of none.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For anyone else joining late, the TL/DR is

-Broncbuster announced their own portal line
-Tibus accused Broncbuster of stealing his IP, stiffing him for $28k and being a fraud.
-Tyler accused Tibus of being a fraud, says he found Tibus' source and cut Tibus out
Thanks for the cliff notes but I still read every page haha.

And still have no idea what a portal is lol, started losing track when the conversation got to helical cut or straight gears lol

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the cliff notes but I still read every page haha.

And still have no idea what a portal is lol, started losing track when the conversation got to helical cut or straight gears lol
There are three general types of lifts I know about: Body, suspension and axle. Lifting the axle is a portal. Disregard the word, basically it's gearing at the wheel where the axle stub goes into the top gear in the gear box, and the wheel attaches at a hub centered on the bottom gear. From centerline to centerline on the upper/lower gear is the amount of lift, and clearance, you gain.

They are generally used to raise the undercarriage entirely, so you don't get suspension part splay at bad angles/geometry (e.g. suspension lifts, which allows most clearance gain from a bigger tire size) or no pure clearance (e.g. body lifts, which also lets you get some clearance from the tires). Portals lift the axles, so you gain the most in clearance.

The types of gears used are generally straight or helical. You would recognize straight, think like a clock's big gears. Helical is cocked at an angle.

There are also different types of portals. I'm not as aware of what they're technically called, but typically you hear them referred to as Hummer, Mercedes and Unimog portals. Essentially, the type refers to the manufacturer that popularized the design.

Last edited:

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you are saying that you had a generalized education and then specialized based on the jobs you had? To be honest sounds like you did it right.... And see I did not specialize in much of anything... Caught in that "general" category. Jack of all trades and master of none.
That's not a bad thing.
Just means having to pay someone else to do some things becomes an option vs. necessity.
I find it to be quite handy.
But it's also a curse, as the "to do" lists can get quite lengthy.

Last edited:

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Correct, and now even more specialized in the high performance window industry after a couple of stints in acedamia (Marquette University and TU Berlin) interspersed with industry (Cleaver Brooks and Siemens Power/KWU).

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Must be a decent influencer as he’s convinced a shitload of people to buy that dumbass tierod brace
Guilty, but seems to be working with the other 2 steering upgrades so I won't be spending money to replace them until I have to.

YMMV 🤠

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The new steering rack you’ll inevitably need might come with tierods 😉😂

DYak

Big Bend
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend Baby
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You know I was thinking... Let's assume Tyler's telling the truth that Tibus doesn't design or manufacture anything. He just described himself. This would be the same as someone going to Brackin Machine and snaking his supply chain for the clamp and diff tube.

AUSTIN, WHERE YOU AT??
Sponsored