Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ordered a weight distribution hitch. Curious if anyone is using one and if it made much of a difference. I have the SAS. Has to go beyond the 35"spare.

GHeUmlDvRUeX6cey8+IKMQ.jpg
Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Who made the hitch? Does it hook into the actual frame instead of just the cross piece? If not, wasted your money. Still just putting all of it in the space of a foot or so in the middle, not distributing the weight, just torquing one side or another of the cross piece. From the pic, you need to reinforce the suspension somehow...

OP
OP
Bucker

Bucker

Base
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Who made the hitch? Does it hook into the actual frame instead of just the cross piece? If not, wasted your money. Still just putting all of it in the space of a foot or so in the middle, not distributing the weight, just torquing one side or another of the cross piece. From the pic, you need to reinforce the suspension somehow...
So Ford says it's hitch can handle 350 lbs tongue weight. My trailer is 330. If I add a WDH, it seems like it is lessening the tongue weight. In fact, Curt says by using a WDH it actually increases to 400 lbs.

Last edited:

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So Ford says it's hitch can handle 350 lbs tongue weight. My trailer is 330. If I add a WDH, it seems like it is lessening the tongue weight. In fact, Curt says by using a WDH it actually increases to 400 lbs.
The purpose of a WDH is to twist the frame downward causing some of the weight to move to the front axles and reduce the load on just the rear axle. The point that @PSUTE is making is that the factory hitch on the frame of the Bronco attaches to a cross member, it doesn’t have any triangulation going forward to spread that load beyond the single cross member. That single cross member with the WDH twisting against it can/will flex reducing the WDH effectiveness. The hitch on a F-150 is not much better, but at least is has another cross member and the load is spread over more of the frame.

The Equalizer WDH I used on my Dodge 2500 towing 14K was under substantial load. After hitching I would usually use the trailer jack to pick up the truck a few inches to reduce the force required to leverage the bars into position. I had an aftermarket Curt Class 5 hitch that had a frame under it that bolted forward on the truck frame a couple of feet. The factory Dodge hitch visibly twisted under just the 1500# tongue weight of the trailer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bucker

Bucker

Base
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

All the above information is very interesting. But does anyone have one on a BRONCO?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All the above information is very interesting. But does anyone have one on a BRONCO?
I haven't seen anyone mention having one. I haven't even seen one offered by an of the manufactures yet, but that doesn't mean that there not out there.

But if there's not any, I'll speculate that Bronco owners will have to wait for the new Ranger (which shares the frame with the Bronco) to hit the market before we'll see a WDH that will bolt-up the these Broncos.

So..... @Bucker ..... care to share a link to what you ordered?

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you do use a weight distributing hitch, make sure it is matched to the tongue weight of the trailer you are pulling they are not universal. If you use one intended for a 1000 lb tongue weight on a trailer with a 300 lb tongue weight you are putting additional load on the receiver on the vehicle which will be compounded if you use a hitch extender.

I would go with the weight distributing hitch with the lowest rating you can get (I believe they make them down to 200 lbs) even if your tongue weight is higher. It will still make a big difference in leveling the vehicle out but not put as much load on the hitch receiver.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't seen anyone mention having one. I haven't even seen one offered by an of the manufactures yet, but that doesn't mean that there not out there.

But if there's not any, I'll speculate that Bronco owners will have to wait for the new Ranger (which shares the frame with the Bronco) to hit the market before we'll see a WDH that will bolt-up the these Broncos.

So..... @Bucker ..... care to share a link to what you ordered?
WDH are not vehicle specific, any 2” WDH will physically fit a Bronco’s receiver. The design of the trailer is more important to the suitability of a specific WDH.

I would not want to use one with a hitch extension, the additional leverage from the extension could cause issues. Perhaps one of the products sold to lift the spare tire higher on the tailgate could give the clearance needed to avoid using an extension.

Last edited:

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My definition of a WDH is one that bolts to the frame rails like this one for a 2022 Ford Ranger: https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2022_Ford_Ranger.htm?&Redirect=8

What you're describing is more for "sway control": https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Blue-Ox/BLU36FR.html

per etrailer: " Minimize trailer sway and ensure a level, stable ride with this weight distribution system. Positive caster angle works to keep your trailer centered and steel-on-steel friction corrects sway. "

and
  • "Weight distribution system ensures a level and stable ride when towing
    • Evenly distributes weight over axles of tow vehicle and trailer
    • Helps you maintain better control of your vehicle and avoid trailer sag and excessive tire wear
  • Built-in sway control limits side-to-side movement of trailer
    • L-brackets rigidly hold spring bars in place - unlike chain-style brackets - to keep your trailer in line
    • Positive caster angle in the hitch head keeps trailer centered and helps prevent sway before it begins
    • Steel-on-steel friction corrects sway caused by winds or sudden maneuvers"
Yes... etrailer calls it a WDH, but it's only distributing the trailers weight to stabilize the trailer to the ball and not to the vehicle like I perceive a WDH should do.

So it boils down to semantics..... ;)

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My definition of a WDH is one that bolts to the frame rails like this one for a 2022 Ford Ranger: https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2022_Ford_Ranger.htm?&Redirect=8

What you're describing is more for "sway control": https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Blue-Ox/BLU36FR.html

per etrailer: " Minimize trailer sway and ensure a level, stable ride with this weight distribution system. Positive caster angle works to keep your trailer centered and steel-on-steel friction corrects sway. "

and
  • "Weight distribution system ensures a level and stable ride when towing
    • Evenly distributes weight over axles of tow vehicle and trailer
    • Helps you maintain better control of your vehicle and avoid trailer sag and excessive tire wear
  • Built-in sway control limits side-to-side movement of trailer
    • L-brackets rigidly hold spring bars in place - unlike chain-style brackets - to keep your trailer in line
    • Positive caster angle in the hitch head keeps trailer centered and helps prevent sway before it begins
    • Steel-on-steel friction corrects sway caused by winds or sudden maneuvers"
Yes... etrailer calls it a WDH, but it's only distributing the trailers weight to stabilize the trailer to the ball and not to the vehicle like I perceive a WDH should do.

So it boils down to semantics..... ;)
Not to be argumentative, but your definition is incorrect. Sway control and weight distribution can be accomplished in the same accessory. Weight distribution has nothing to do with what is installed on the truck side, it’s about adding leverage to the connection to push the front tires down. It’s a clear cut definition, not semantics.

Here is etrailer’s page for WDH:
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Weight_Distribution_Hitch.aspx
460B95BA-E120-4805-97D1-3DBBCC10699E.png

Grey Mare

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm running a CURT WDH for pulling my Jayco Swift 184BH travel trailer., approx. 2700 lbs., it works great, noticeable improvement as compared to not having it on. Got it dialed in with no squat, no issues ! I did have to get a different shank for it in order to keep the trailer tong height right. Other than that I would recommend it for pulling with the Bronco's soft suspension.
FWIW - Badlands, 2.7, non squatch, 2" lift, LUX package.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to be argumentative, but your definition is incorrect. Sway control and weight distribution can be accomplished in the same accessory. Weight distribution has nothing to do with what is installed on the truck side, it’s about adding leverage to the connection to push the front tires down. It’s a clear cut definition, not semantics.
More precisely it is to push some of the weight into the trailer’s axle… which in turn lessens the load on the rear axle letting the front of the vehicle level out.

EDIT: Eh... I guess I should explain more. A weight distribution hitch does transfer forces to the front axle, but if it is setup properly the overall net force on the front axle will still be less than the force on the front axle without towing a load. The majority of the extra force is transferred from the rear axles into the trailer's axles. If the weight on the front axle is more than it is without a trailer, then you likely have picked a weight distribution hitch that is rated for a much heavier load than what you are actually towing.

—

Anyway, I would see what could be done about removing the receiver extension before looking at a weight distribution hitch. That extension is just moving the pivot point back and letting the tongue exert more force on the vehicle. Maybe using a drop hitch or perhaps finding a way to move the spare tire up in the tailgate.

I know my neighbor usually removes the spare tire and puts it on the trailer itself when he goes camping to give himself some extra room. Obviously works, but I suspect there is a more eloquent solution you can find. He does have a weight distribution hitch, as that is what he used on his Wrangler... but on the Bronco he finds that it is unnecessary. (Your load may vary.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bucker

Bucker

Base
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank you for the replies. I am installing the Curt WDH on Tuesday. No extension just a longer shank. Probably a little overkill but better safe than sorry.

tpSrNztxQXWMj7WE%k+yCw.jpg

R8+vDSKURu2VWjwFSKfvGA.jpg

Last edited: