Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t seen the nets in awhile. Where did you find them, and how is the quality? I wouldn’t mind those for my chocolate lab.
I got it off Amazon, it is listed as a jeep jk rooftop cargo net hammock.
I have 2 installed 1 out back and 1 just in front of the rear roll bar cross bat above the back seats.
We put light stuff like blankets and extra jackets uptop.
Sponsored

Trooper19

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@604Bronco raises a good point about overnight parking. In my situation with the Jeep, I always had it in the garage at my house. I was single at the time but unless I was staying the night at a buddies or had a great date with a girl or camping I didn’t have that worry.
I leave my Bronco open back usually from April to October. Sofar no break ins or attempts of theft.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I run safari pretty much from April-October, only putting the windows in if we are going on a longer trip or if the forecast shows significant or days-long rain.
A security enclosure for the cargo, whether it be the Tuffy one Ford also sells or the Diabolical one, does exactly what it is marketed to do. A would-be thief out for a quick smash-n-grab isn't getting into either one easily or quickly. Even if they carry around a noisy cutting tool like a grinder or sawzall. That kind of thing isn't the usual mark for people who like to take easy valuables and get back out undetected.

One advantage to both also is that they do block a fair amount of rain.
Neither is or advertised to be weatherproof or sealed.
It will still get in there in a decent rain. But is considerably better than an open cargo area.
But they help on both accounts (security and some weather-resistance) FWIW.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unless you are keeping things in the Bronco, there is not really anything for a thief to try to steal by being in Safari mode. I have left mines in that configuration a few times, I had plan on buying some side Molle panels.

I will most likely get the panels, but I am also going to an Armadillo HT.

Sponsored

RAC-Wildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
RAC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I leave my Bronco open back usually from April to October. Sofar no break ins or attempts of theft.
I'm a long time Jeep Wrangler and other convertible vehicles owner. I've had various open back, soft top, T-Top, and hard top configurations.

My job used to require me to travel nearly 100%

Many times I returned to my vehicle to find that someone had been rifling through the interior. I learned to simply never lock my vehicle and never never never leave anything of value inside it.

One night I'd been playing a gig in a local bar. Going home at the end of the night I approached my Jeep with my guitar. There was a black unmarked Caprice Classic parked at an angle behind my Jeep. There were two undercover cops with badges on chains around their necks with a skinny black dude (aka: "The Suspect") sitting on the curb. One cop approached me and said "Are you Mr RAC, and is this your vehicle? Dealing with the authorities always results in the usual surge of adrenaline pumping through my body. I felt like I was 16 and looking in my rear view mirror and seeing a cop. Doesn't matter how innocent I am, I still get that initial feeling of paranoia. I let him know who I was and gave him my ID. He explained that they had witnessed The Suspect removing my plastic back window and then trying to crawl into the back. When they apprehended The Suspect, he claimed that the vehicle belonged to his uncle. The cops had me (Caucasian, mid 40s) confirm that I was not The Suspect's (who was approximately 60) uncle. The 4 door Wranglers were still pretty new and the cop asked if he could take a look at the vehicle. I figured it was at least partly just a ploy to do a quick search. I didn't really care, I didn't have anything to hide. I told him to knock himself out and look at anything he wanted. As he approached the Jeep, He said "Do you even bother to lock it?" I said "No." He laughed and turned to The Suspect and taunted him "Hey man, watch this, its not even locked, you wasted your time popping out the window"

I didn't press any charges and they took The Suspect in for an unrelated warrant.

Trooper19

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a long time Jeep Wrangler and other convertible vehicles owner. I've had various open back, soft top, T-Top, and hard top configurations.

My job used to require me to travel nearly 100%

Many times I returned to my vehicle to find that someone had been rifling through the interior. I learned to simply never lock my vehicle and never never never leave anything of value inside it.

One night I'd been playing a gig in a local bar. Going home at the end of the night I approached my Jeep with my guitar. There was a black unmarked Caprice Classic parked at an angle behind my Jeep. There were two undercover cops with badges on chains around their necks with a skinny black dude (aka: "The Suspect") sitting on the curb. One cop approached me and said "Are you Mr RAC, and is this your vehicle? Dealing with the authorities always results in the usual surge of adrenaline pumping through my body. I felt like I was 16 and looking in my rear view mirror and seeing a cop. Doesn't matter how innocent I am, I still get that initial feeling of paranoia. I let him know who I was and gave him my ID. He explained that they had witnessed The Suspect removing my plastic back window and then trying to crawl into the back. When they apprehended The Suspect, he claimed that the vehicle belonged to his uncle. The cops had me (Caucasian, mid 40s) confirm that I was not The Suspect's (who was approximately 60) uncle. The 4 door Wranglers were still pretty new and the cop asked if he could take a look at the vehicle. I figured it was at least partly just a ploy to do a quick search. I didn't really care, I didn't have anything to hide. I told him to knock himself out and look at anything he wanted. As he approached the Jeep, He said "Do you even bother to lock it?" I said "No." He laughed and turned to The Suspect and taunted him "Hey man, watch this, its not even locked, you wasted your time popping out the window"

I didn't press any charges and they took The Suspect in for an unrelated warrant.
I strapped anything that could be stolen to the outside, I figured if they want it they won't damage anything to get it. We have been lucky.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It gets wet. Whoopee, it's a freakin' boat mostly. You do learn to pull the door bottom plugs and the plugs in the jack/toolbox...it dries.

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL @RAC-Wildtrak. I did the same thing when running my soft top on the Jeep. It’s pointless to do otherwise. Someone will cut your top or windows trying to get in or destroy something else which will cost more than whatever they are trying to get.

General rule should never put anything of value in your Bronco or Jeep.

That said, my Jeep got broke into twice. Once while on a date and we were in a bar district until the wee hours. Came out and saw my door was jarred open. They rifled through looking but didn’t have anything to take except my d*mn owners manual. 😂 So you can imagine the irony and humor I find in the fact Ford manuals are all electronic.

The other time was at my house. I had been wheeling. The Jeep was a mess, it was late, I was tired and I didn’t park in the garage as I didn’t want to have to clean that up too. FYI, being lazy doesn’t pay. Apparently I left my cell and a camera in the cup holders. Again no damage, just annoyance and it was partly my fault as my dog barked early that AM which I think is when it happened. Of course I told the dog to shut up instead of getting up to go check on things. Oddly enough several of my old Jeep buddies were LEO and able to trace my phone and the losers got busted. Apparently they lived nearby and hit numerous people.

Not sure it’s “breaking in” if you don’t lock it but it’s a crappy feeling to have minor stuff taken. I’d be sick if they did thousands of damage trying to get that minor stuff.

joes bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco 2017 f150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For safari mode I just took a poly tarp, cut it and duct taped to where it covers the top, sides and back. I use bungy cords that are fabric covered with plastic hooks to hold it in place. I use this to keep bugs and any bird that want's to roost in it over night at home or when I'm out camping.
It's nothing fancy and looks ugly but it was cheep to make and keeps things dry if it rains.

Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn’t let it get rained on. The wash out interior isn’t really wash out. It’s a light rinse out where your feet go. Water will go right in where the under seat vents are. Carpet edition. Definitely don’t let the rain in.

Gregus73

Heritage
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Silverado 2500 HC, 2023 Bronco Heritage, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Safari mode was my favorite in 2 of my past Wranglers. To me, the best configuration. Getting the itch to get a soft top for my Bronco.

I recall that I installed a lockbox in the rear area to secure my laptop, etc.

Last edited:

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love my Bronco in "Safari Mode" I want to leave it like this the majority of the summer. I do park in the garage but curious what do you guys do when it rains and not near home. Windows are a PITA to put back on in a quick pinch. Do you just roll with it and let it get wet? Last year it was brand new and I was hyper-sensitive, this year I just want to enjoy it. SIde note, its an OBX not with a wash out interior

safarimode.jpg
i run mine the same when possible drizzle and rain yep never a downpour and im very fast to put back on 7 min total

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would be leery of getting it rained on/in. I have the wash out interior and thought it meant "waterproof." That is not the case. There are reports of water collecting in the window switches and shorting out. I can't imagine what would happen to the seat electronics if left exposed. That being said, safari mode is my favorite as well and do it when the weather forecast if favorable for the weekend.

Cars do not like being swimming pools.

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Safari mode all summer. Don't care about safety as I never lock doors and don't keep anything off value. Have gotten poured on numerous times.

I have carpet but also have the OEM mats. It helps in the cargo are to pool the water.

If it gets soaked, I just wipe up the mat, then let the trunk open and take the mat out over night to air dry
Sponsored