Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wired my own removable light bar solution so I could easily remove the light bar from my 2dr in the summer when I also wanted to go topless.
The light bar switch is Aux 1 on my OEM Auxiliary switch panel.
I have a roof rack but my solution works for rack or rackless.

Part list:
  • 2-pin Deutsch connector (or similar)
  • 15 ft of 16-18 awg wire
  • Shrink, solder, Velcro, harness tape, various bits and bops for wiring

I'll leave out the steps that include how to wire the Aux switch under the hood, glove box and above the passenger sunshade since that's been covered ad nauseum in other threads.

Here are a few pics and descriptions:

Ford Bronco Removable Roof Light Bar Wiring Solution IMG_5104.JPEG

• I ran the switch wire from above the sunshade into a hole in the roll bar above the passenger seat.
  • The ground wire was connected to a body bolt which attaches the airbag 'guide' to the roll bar.
  • They both then enter the roll bar via the hole you see here and route FORWARD

Ford Bronco Removable Roof Light Bar Wiring Solution IMG_5106.JPEG

• As a testament to all of you who never throw out a spare part, I've had that grommet in my spare parts compartment box for over 15 years and was elated to find it was the perfect match.
  • Anyway, exit this hole.

Ford Bronco Removable Roof Light Bar Wiring Solution IMG_5110.JPEG

• I went OVER the weather stripping instead of through it.
    • The male end of the Deutsch was just a little too big for my liking to cut into the weather strip.
    • Use your heat gun to warm up your light bar wire and bend it to fit into the weather strip's premolded channel and inside the water runway.
  • Here is where you will use your shrink, harness tape, solder, heat gun, magic powers
  • You don't need the extra length but it's always easier to cut in the future than splice in new wire if you need to go longer.

Ford Bronco Removable Roof Light Bar Wiring Solution IMG_5112.JPEG

Ford Bronco Removable Roof Light Bar Wiring Solution IMG_5114.JPEG

• Note: the light bar wire is specifically and intentionally positioned in this photo to be exactly how it will sit once the roof panel is back on.

Ford Bronco Removable Roof Light Bar Wiring Solution IMG_5115.JPEG

• The connector and wire bundle is wrapped (loosly) at the kink.
  • Velcro is used to secure the connector to the inside rail.
    • When the light bar is removed, the Bronco end of the harness will still secure to the body via Velcro.
    • There are alternatives to this method and a Deutsch mount is one of them currently en route

Ford Bronco Removable Roof Light Bar Wiring Solution IMG_5116.JPEG

• The bundle is now secure.
  • This is empty space once the roof panel is back on. In fact, you can reach your hand over the rail form inside the car and feel the harness if you ever needed to disconnect it with the panel on (another reason for Velcro and not a more permanent solution)

Ford Bronco Removable Roof Light Bar Wiring Solution IMG_5117.JPEG
Sponsored

Spiderwolf

Raptor
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon, 2016 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pac
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hey, I’m going to be hooking up the same light bar in a week. You said it’s been covered so you didn’t get into it. Where do I go to get a detailed description of hooking up the wires? Wiring is not my fortay. Thanks

OP
OP
nwGTS

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, I’m going to be hooking up the same light bar in a week. You said it’s been covered so you didn’t get into it. Where do I go to get a detailed description of hooking up the wires? Wiring is not my fortay. Thanks
mid you look below this thread there are various links to installs that go through the wiring component. Otherwise google “site:bronco6g.com wiring light bar”

go nuts!