Reaction score
Website
modcrate.myshopify.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I love making stuff and I love teaching. Hopefully this helps someone start their own making journey. I've been asked a few times how I go about producing prototypes without having any of my own equipment. True to the ModCrate spirit I decided to start a DIY series. This will be similar to the Open Source Trunk Storage System post. I will try to stick to this format going forward.

If you run an Active Bronco Club on B6G or Facebook, I would love to help you develop club merchandise or set up club discounts!

If you like this type of content please consider visiting my store,
ModCrate.com. Your suport means a lot and helps fund future projects and products.

Designing and producing your own License Plate Frame.
Tools used: Fusion 360, drawing and modeling. Send Cut Send, On demand fabrication *no affiliation with either*

Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame How To background

**Note** I use a Paid License of Fusion360 but any dimensioned drawing program that can export compatible file types will work. If you would like to give this a shot, I am more than happy to help in thread.

Step:1 Take a picture of the part you want to create. This picture can be the general area, a part you'd like to replicate, or any constraint geometry. Like mounting holes. Take some physical measurements and jot them down. I recommend points that will be easy to select in your photo and that run the longest dimension of your part. I used the width of my license plate/dirt shadow.
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame 20230926_134507

Step:2 Open a Blank Workspace **Fusion360**
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame 1_F360 Blank Workspace

Step:3 Import your picture as a custom Canvas. Your new canvas may look odd at first but don't worry it just needs to be adjusted.
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame 2_F360 Import Canvas

Step:4 Calibrate your canvas. This selection will allow you to select two reference points to set scale. Use the same reference points you picked in step 1.
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame 3_F360 Calibrate Canvas

Step:5 Set Calibration Points. I measured my liscence plate at 11 7/8" x 5 7/8" with a tape measure. As you can only make on calibration choose the longest dimension you can accurately place on the image. The selected points are represented by GREEN dots and my measurement is input into the centered text prompt.
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame 4_F360 Set Calibration Points

Step:6 Create a dimensioned sketch on your canvas plane. Sketching in Fusion360 is fairly simple there are tons of YouTube Videos to get you started. Try searching for terms like "Fusion360 Sketching for Beginners". Here I started with a basic sketch the approximate size of my license plate. I did this primarily to confirm my picture was properly calibrated.
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame 5_F360 Create a Dimensioned Sketch

Step:7 Develop your sketch. Remember to incorporate critical features like mounting holes and overall size constraints. You don't want to make a liscense plate frame that won't fit into the bumper depression.
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame 6_F360 Develop and Finalize Sketch

Step:8 This step is optional but if you would like to 3D print or visualize your part you need a 3d model. You can right click the outline you want to effect and choose "extrude". Set your desired thickness.
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame 7_F360 Extrude Optio

Step:9 This step is Optional and has no impact on the physical production. Add Color!
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame 8_F360 Extrue and Color Optio

Step:10 Creating a basic production file. You will want to expand your sketch folder, located on the left hand side of the screen, and choose "Save as DXF". Save it in a location of your choice but remember where you placed the file!
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame 9_F360 Export DXF

Part 2 "Get it Made"

Step:1 Visit Send Cut Send & make an account. It is free to make an account, you only pay for what you order. You can get an instant quote and follow along without making an account. I'm not sure, I have an account since I discovered them.
*I am not affiliated in any way with Send Cut Send, not getting anything from this but enjoyment. Unless you buy some of my stuff... then thank you and I hope you like it*
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame P2S1_Send Cut Send Website

Step:2 If you made a free account click "+ADD DRAWING" from your dashboard. Choose the .DXF we just created.
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame P2S2_SCS Add Drawi

Step:3 Confirm Drawing units. If you made a drawing using inches make sure to select "INCH", Vice versa for metric.
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame P2S3_SCS Size & Confirm

Step:4 SCS has a variety of materials. I picked .074" Mild Steel as it is cheap can be powder coated and is similar in thickness to 14g steel, a material I work with quite a bit. Click "NEXT"
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame P2S4_SCS Select Material

Step:5 This next menu provides for additional process options. I will cover these in another project. Click "NEXT".
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame P2S5_SCS No Additional Operations

Step:6 This is the best part! Choose a finish. Different materials have different finishing options. Non-ferrous metals like Aluminum can be anodized where steel can be only be powder coated or plated. Once you've made a selection click "NEXT".
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame P2S6_SCS Select Finish

Step:7 Confirm your selection by adding the item to your basket.
Ford Bronco [ModCrate DIY] How to Produce your Own License Plate Frame P2S7_SCS Confirm Finish & add to Cart

Wait for your part to be delivered!
Sponsored

kbBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2019 Honda Rebel 300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is awesome!!! I don’t want the license plate bracket, but this tutorial is exactly what I need to explore other cool DIY mods. Thanks #following

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've always wanted to do things like this but the learning curve is steep and/or the software is $600 a year like Fusion 360. Are there any entry level options for someone wanting to get into CAD or CAD-like product design?

Gringo Starr

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've always wanted to do things like this but the learning curve is steep and/or the software is $600 a year like Fusion 360. Are there any entry level options for someone wanting to get into CAD or CAD-like product design?
Fusion 360 is free for individual use.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Russ.Cere

Russ.Cere

Wildtrak
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modcrate.myshopify.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There are tons! If you are going to stick with 2D sketches, any program that outputs a dimensional sketch will work. For example, you can make the license plate frame in Adobe Illustrator, but the tools are obviously optimized for ... illustration.

I recommend the Hobbyist license for Fusion 360, the free version of Onshape or the $8 per month paid version of Solidworks.

If you are interested in learning go to TITANS of CNC Academy. I can't recommend them enough and I wish they were around when I first started. Completely FREE!

Fusion 360 has a massive number of creators producing tutorials on YouTube. If you have no experience with design suites, I recommend you grab the Hobbyist license. It's intuitive and neatly packaged for makers and small shops.

Onshape looks to be aligned with more professional suites in a larger environment. It has some nice features and includes some collaboration and file sharing in the free version. I have no experience with the software but have been keeping tabs on its updates. Its quick and easy to download and install the free version.

Solidworks, My 3DEXPERIENCE, is a bit overwhelming its powerful and is essentially a full modeling package striped of their commercial and industry add-ons.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are tons! If you are going to stick with 2D sketches, any program that outputs a dimensional sketch will work. For example, you can make the license plate frame in Adobe Illustrator, but the tools are obviously optimized for ... illustration.

I recommend the Hobbyist license for Fusion 360, the free version of Onshape or the $8 per month paid version of Solidworks.

If you are interested in learning go to TITANS of CNC Academy. I can't recommend them enough and I wish they were around when I first started. Completely FREE!

Fusion 360 has a massive number of creators producing tutorials on YouTube. If you have no experience with design suites, I recommend you grab the Hobbyist license. It's intuitive and neatly packaged for makers and small shops.

Onshape looks to be aligned with more professional suites in a larger environment. It has some nice features and includes some collaboration and file sharing in the free version. I have no experience with the software but have been keeping tabs on its updates. Its quick and easy to download and install the free version.

Solidworks, My 3DEXPERIENCE, is a bit overwhelming its powerful and is essentially a full modeling package striped of their commercial and industry add-ons.
This is incredibly helpful and at risk of hyperbole could be life changing. Thanks for putting in the effort to share this list.
Sponsored