Sponsored

Jeep Is Installing Solar Chargers Off-Road On The Rubicon And In Moab For The New Hybrid Wrangler

Moze

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That would seem unnecessary for a decent all electric, but maybe. The new Jeep hybrid only has a 17.3 kwh battery, so it's not going to make it the whole trail. But the Rubicon isn't a place you need to pack extra fuel for a gas Jeep and a Tesla or Ford all electric easily have enough range (Tesla and F150 have the same or more range than a gas tank) so... seems a bit much. Chargers at each end of the trail? Absolutely.
Sponsored

Moze

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even then... Look, many of you know that I'm a big EV fan, but I think if you want to replace an ICE vehicle on the trail, then you need to bring the range and/or mobile charge capability - not install chargers in wild.

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This was exactly my first thought. The environmental impact on the landscape & vegetation, not to mention the eyesore, has got to be worse than burning a few ounces of petroleum per mile. If we have to wait for two plus hours to charge halfway through a 45 mile trail, let's just go back to riding horses please.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if the Sierra Club knows about this... it won't sit well with those fanatics.

I think it's horrible and I'm not an environmental nut, but the outdoors is disappearing and I'll go on record to say that I'll make sure those are removed. I'm sure they're going to pay that one private property owner along the Rubicon a hefty sum.

Jeep, you've just had your rear axle handed to you by the upcoming Ford Bronco. What are you going to do next?

- Polarize my biggest fanatics!!!!

xXChartmanXx

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That would seem unnecessary for a decent all electric, but maybe. The new Jeep hybrid only has a 17.3 kwh battery, so it's not going to make it the whole trail. But the Rubicon isn't a place you need to pack extra fuel for a gas Jeep and a Tesla or Ford all electric easily have enough range (Tesla and F150 have the same or more range than a gas tank) so... seems a bit much. Chargers at each end of the trail? Absolutely.
If you can make it to the 3rd or 4th paragraph of the article, they claim it already has made the whole trail on electric only without recharging

Plus, being a hybrid if you run out of electrons you can just burn dino juice

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you can make it to the 3rd or 4th paragraph of the article, they claim it already has made the whole trail on electric only without recharging

This is the era of video proof, though, and the whole video could easily be put up on YouTube to back up his claim. I'm pretty sure that'll never happen. It's just a billboard. Maybe we need to make a lot of Jeep dis' music videos right in front of it?

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
These solar charge stations are sure to be an archeological curiosity within 30 years.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is the era of video proof, though, and the whole video could easily be put up on YouTube to back up his claim. I'm pretty sure that'll never happen. It's just a billboard. Maybe we need to make a lot of Jeep dis' music videos right in front of it?
I get you but I'm sure as heck not watching a video of however long that took, plus people may suspect it was edited or altered anyway

I would hope their credibility would be worth more than to risk on a shaky claim but who knows?

Moze

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, my mistake. I read the article, but I honestly missed that paragraph between the ad and the diagram (lame, I know).

Tight squeeze, but they did it. Well done. So... why the chargers in the trail then?

Sponsored

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Their probably installing them for all the Jeep advertising they will recieve out in the middle of nowhere. Lol

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would hope their credibility would be worth more than to risk on a shaky claim but who knows?
No one will ever know because it's a PHEV. If it were a BEV only with the same range, I expect it would be easy to spot all the depleted Wranglers stranded on various obstacles 6-8 miles before the end of the trail :ROFLMAO:

I'd far rather have a 150-200 mile range BEV off-roader if such a thing existed than a 30-40 mile PHEV.

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yea isn't the idea of off-roading and trails to leave civilization and structures behind? Not let's stick charging stations in the wild everywhere so we can sell more of these slow charging Jeeps. And of course we gotta maintain them so let's send all these work trucks to the trail. If they struggle to get up the trail, we'll just have to flatten some of these paths, won't we? And people have to eat and poop so why don't we add some restrooms and a Taco Bell right next to the Rubicon. The workers chomping on their nacho cheese chalupas might think "hey these wrappers are made of paper, it'll recycle right back into the earth" and toss them into the bushes. Then all these folks new to off roading and driving their shiny 60k vehicles could see these bushes and think that's where I can throw away my big gulp cup and these used baby diapers. Well then somebody with their head on their shoulders at FCA might say this is not ok. Obviously we gotta put a dumpster here for all this trash. And of course we gotta level the road some more for these beeping garbage trucks to come collect..

Or maybe it'll all be done discreetly and we'll be grateful when everything is electric.

lightbulb

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Glad I am not the only one that thinks turning the great outdoors into the city is a bad idea.
Sponsored