Sponsored

In LOVE with the Bronco! Want to leave car...

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Not sure why everyone is harping on negative equity and his ability to pay for a Bronco - the Civic is paid for.
There is no negative equity, just whatever he can get for the Honda.

The only thing left to do is test drive a Bronco, and while you are driving be really honest with yourself.
The ride is fun, but it's louder, it's rougher, it's going to get worse gas milage, and ownership is going to cost more.
There is no getting around this. There are things you can do about the noise and the ride ( also check the airpressure at dealer, almost always over inflated = harder ride)
But there is nothing going to help you with MPGs, and 4 wheel drive vehicles are just more money to maintain than Civics .
But you're not taking the top off a Civic or going off road, your up high and shoveling snow in your driveway becomes optional.

1000006971.jpg
He opened asking if it was idiotic to get rid of a Civic for a Bronco, later it was he had a $5k negative equity, then it was paid off and somehow followed up with him finding his inner self thru assman. I doubt too many will read all the way thru for the nuggets and can't believe I've stuck around this long but waiting for the next shoe to fall in his Bronco conundrum is better than what's on Netflix right now, so ...

200.gif
Sponsored

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
[QUOTE="ASS_FIN_DIR, post: 2235079, member: 61273"

Would it be idiotic to let the Civic go and get me a Bronco?

[/QUOTE]

Bingo. You hit it right on the nose.

1. Midwest does not have big / or bad snow. Less than 100" in most places.
2. If you can't afford to purchase snows for the civic, which would solve your winter driving issues, you probably can't afford a Bronco.
3. $5K under??? Financing a depreciating asset makes zero sense. And if you are under on your civic why would you go further into debt?

Poor decision all around.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
He opened asking if it was idiotic to get rid of a Civic for a Bronco, later it was he had a $5k negative equity, then it was paid off and somehow followed up with him finding his inner self thru assman. I doubt too many will read all the way thru for the nuggets and can't believe I've stuck around this long but waiting for the next shoe to fall in his Bronco conundrum is better than what's on Netflix right now, so ...

Ford Bronco In LOVE with the Bronco! Want to leave car... 200
This is what happens when you try to keep up at work 🙄 🤣

So I'm guessing next he's going to want to put the Bronco emblem on the dash 🤔 😳 :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So I'm guessing next he's going to want to put the Bronco emblem on the dash 🤔 😳 :ROFLMAO::LOL:
I'm still trying to figure out why his Civic was all over the road in the winter, if you can't swing winter tires he's going to have a heart attack when he has to replace a set of Sasquatch tires!

Sponsored

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello All,

I highly desire a Bronco. Either a BD or OXB trim. I currently own a 2022 Honda Civic. The seats are very uncomfortable after my long commute to and from work. 38 miles and 1 hour commute time. And this car sits so damn low!

I live in the midwest, and the winters are brutal. The Civic slides all over. The only thing this car has going for itself is the mpg. I'm averaging 30 to 32 mpg.

I am 40 years old, Male. I never about anything nice or cool for myself. Man I would love a Bronco especially for the winter.

Would it be idiotic to let the Civic go and get me a Bronco?

Thank you!
You certainly won't get the mileage of the Civic, my BD with the 4cyl and 7 speed has given an average of ~21MPG over the 11,000 miles I've driven it (note, I have used premium fuel for about half the miles). I think the seats are great and the ride is probably as good as your civic (I think the Bronco rides better than my 2014 Honda CR-V as a reference). I like the Marine Grade Vinyl seats in the Bronco and have spent all day drives in them with no comfort issues (Note: I mountain bike so I have easily removable/washable seat covers I use all the time, etrailer Bucket Seat Protector for Active Lifestyle - Waterproof - Easy On/Off etrailer Car Seat Covers e99048) and they should certainly be comfortable for your commute. It is comfortable to drive with my only issue being the step in height (I'm old and not that tall:). Maintenance costs will be higher I'm sure although I question whether they are higher than my AWD Honda CR-V (other than tires). As the others have said, if you can comfortably afford it and can handle the additional fuel and potential maintenance costs, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

OP
OP

ASS_FIN_DIR

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ford Bronco In LOVE with the Bronco! Want to leave car... 200
Hello there! Correct, Ass_Fin_Dir = Assman! At any rate, I went to my local dealer and test drove the bronco BD and OBX. The Ford dealership wants to give me $23K for my Civic. I paid $28.5K OTD. To amend my comment ...the year of the Civic is a 23, NOT 22. The ride was via rural streets. Git her up to 50 MPH. I dislike the OBX wheels, look funky ass hell. BD looked better.

The sales man promised I can get 22mpg via a non-sas, lux package. With the hard top.

The current apr Ford was offering me was 8.25%.

I told the salesman I would sleep on it.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Ixr

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went from a pos 2009 civic si to a 2 door base sasquatch manual.

My honda couldnt do snow and I live up a hill followed by a steep af driveway. Winter storms were pretty bad for me having to get a ride to work or waste pto cause I couldnt get out.

It wasnt completely the hondas fault, the car was pretty old and beaten up at the end of its life when I finally got my bronco after a 51 week wait.

@op Being upside down on the loan, and a 8% interest rate?!? Trading in and getting a bronco or any car right now is a terrible decision. I would suggest just paying off the honda and not buy anything.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Hello there! Correct, Ass_Fin_Dir = Assman! At any rate, I went to my local dealer and test drove the bronco BD and OBX. The Ford dealership wants to give me $23K for my Civic. I paid $28.5K OTD. To amend my comment ...the year of the Civic is a 23, NOT 22. The ride was via rural streets. Git her up to 50 MPH. I dislike the OBX wheels, look funky ass hell. BD looked better.

The sales man promised I can get 22mpg via a non-sas, lux package. With the hard top.

The current apr Ford was offering me was 8.25%.

I told the salesman I would sleep on it.
The crazy used car market where people were getting trade in value equal or more than they paid are over so OTD price from last year is just that, welcome back depreciating assets. Like I said earlier, check your State, that 23k from the dealer might be better than the $24k from whoever if they take it off the purchase price for tax calculation.

So now that you've test driven one what did you think? 50 mph on back roads isn't much of a test drive unless that's what your daily commute is. You could pick a trim level off the lot or you could custom order what you want, your choice on that but don't limit yourself just because of the wheels, those are easily swapped out and for some is the first step of making their Bronco their own. Research the trim levels too, a BD won't be available with lux, mid is as high as you can get so if you want more "luxury" items you have to go OBX, BL, or WT. Also a BD is more off road oriented, it comes with more under body protection, bigger tires, and a rear differential, the OBX is known as the mall crawler but can definitely be built up.

As for mileage, have you heard the old joke how can you tell if a salesman is lying? his lips are moving! There's plenty of threads about mileage, I get 19 for a 2.3 manual with Sasquatch and I'm happy with that. Both options you looked at can be had with either the 2.3 or the 2.7, manual is only on the 2.3 so know what you want when you buy.

And to close this out, you said you're an electrician, are you Union? Do you have a Credit Union? If so check with them for a better rate, always shop around for a better rate, dealers typically get a little kick back on their rates so unless you have too finance with them to get a certain price I wouldn't unless they can match.

Kerney

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Miata SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is the OPs money and you are on a Bronco forum asking whether you should buy a Bronco over a Civic...but...

My wife's 23 Civic Si (Higher hp / worse fuel economy) gets 36-37 mpg on the highway and I drive 8-10 mph over the limit plus spirited jaunts well over that. That replaced a 15 Si that is being given to my son with 140k miles on it. Before Covid i was commuting close to 30 miles each way and putting 15k+ miles/year on a car. I bought a used Fit (given to my daughter - now has 110k miles on it) and then a used Miata to simply run up the miles and parked the gas guzzling vehicle for weekend duty only. I did the math (before used cars were crazy expensive) and could justify a second car through the math.

You are doubling the cost of your vehicle and doubling your fuel costs. If your Civic is getting city/combined fuel economy numbers you'll get city/combined economy with the Bronco not 22 mpg. The salesman is telling you what you want to hear. Let's also be honest. Which vehicle will be more trouble free over 150k miles a higher percentage of the time? The Honda.

You should keep the Honda and buy a used old Bronco or Jeep. Or you should have bought a cheap used highway car and the Bronco which could be driven on the snow days.

Last edited:

Scoop

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badsquatch, '74, '76, & '78 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This has gone downhill quickly!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This has gone downhill quickly!
You can't just leave the back door open like that... Someone is going to slip in eventually.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs