First Name
Kory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I got a heck of a deal on one of those antennas to replace my tarheel. I have yet to find anything id feel comfortable mounting it to... its massive and HEAVY. Would love to use it on my SEMI but no where to mount it that would not either get destroyed or destroy the antenna.

This is a nicely thought out install and I'm sure it will work well for you. Field day is coming!.
Sponsored

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like to use welding cable for these high current installs because of its great flexibility. This install will need to accommodate the addition of a 500 watt HF amp in the future, so the DC supply needs to be robust. I have used a lot of EPDM insulated cable in the past with no issues. It's also covered it in a nylon flex sleeve for abrasion resistance. For this install, it will be #4 wire based on voltage drop.

<SNIP>
This is broadly on topic so I'm going to throw you the question. I am getting my license (technician, followed by general) after taking my exam at the end of the month. I am paranoid about mounting anything not waterproof in my Bronco -- sooner or later I will be caught topless in the rain. I can't find a waterproof mobile radio, and I already have a Rugged Radios GMRS taking up space in the passenger footwell. My thoughts were to go with a waterproof dual band HT (Yuesa VX6R), but wire in external power, a decent vehicle mounted dual band antenna, and a waterproof mic. My thinking is that an antenna is more important than radio power. Then, if I want more power, add a dual band amplifier somewhere shielded from the weather like under the glovebox. Any thoughts?

TNTACO

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you get a radio that you can separate the head, then you can put the body in a place out of the weather. The head can be mounted on the dash or some other convenient place and make a weatherproof cover out of vinyl or something that you can slip over the head to protect it in the event of rain. While I agree that the antenna system for any radio is very important, a 50 watt radio over a 5 watt (max) portable is a huge difference when trying to hit repeaters and work simplex. Just my opinion.
Sponsored