Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Finally took the Bronco on a road trip. Not necessarily off-roading, but more of a leisurely trip from FL to GA.

Here's what I liked.

1. Super comfortable ride. I have the mid package (manual seats), and I'm 6'1". Plenty of leg room and I love the knee space.
2. Gas mileage was surprising. I installed the K&N Cold Air Intake Kit and a few other 1st stage upgrades, but still got 23.5 mpg on the trip. I only used 93 octane but was surprised.
3. Android Auto worked flawlessly throughout the entire trip.

What I didn't like.

1. I have the two door, and good thing I took out the back seats and installed deck. The space for golf clubs, two suitcases, cooler and accessory bags wouldn't have fit.
2. Even though the gas mileage was 23.5 mpg, I felt like I had to stop for fuel more often than usual. The range on a full tank was 400 miles, but it felt like the tank emptied quicker than usual.
3. LOUD, AND LOUD. Traveling on the highway at 75 mph is crazy loud. I haven't tackled the hard top insulation project, but now it's a priority. Not sure it'll help much, as the road noise was coming from everywhere. I guess that's the downside of driving a box at high speeds.

All in all, I love the Bronco, and I'm looking forward to my next trip; Bronco Off-Roadeo Tennessee in October.
Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
We also did our first long trip in our Bronco- FL to Ga as well about a year ago. We had a cabin on a mountain, 4WD access only- a week long trip. We also have a 2 door- a Sas with 2.7, completely stock. My comments are just about identical to yours. I'm 6' and found the Bronco extremely comfortable as well. Gas mileage 22.7 on 87 octane gas. We had to stop definitely more often that we did in our previous truck- 2018 Silverado Double Cab. And we folded the rear seats down and we were absolutely packed- between large cooler and all of our gear everything barely fit.

We love our Bronco and will be using it to travel when I retire next year. The 2 door is tight for space, we are going to get a small trailer and tow it with our kayaks, paddle boards and gear we can't fit in the Bronco. We thought about another pickup but the Bronco is so comfortable and is great on trails and light 4 wheeling for us, nothing heavy.

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just took first long trip in my 22 OB/SAS 2.7 4 door. Went from FL to PA/NJ and enjoyed the drive. Insulated hardtop helped with noise. I had no issues and a round trip total of 2751 miles. Mileage was 21.9. Gave me more confidence in the truck even though it was highway miles. Seat was comfortable (high package leather trim/electric). i installed the Exoshield windshield film before I left and it did deflect a pretty large (quarter size) stone flipped off a dump truck going by me, no chip or crack. i took route 77/81 and the large hills tested the turbos, but speed never varied with cruise control set. Oil temp on those multiple long grades got as high as 208 but cooled fairly quick on the downhill.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

400 miles in 2dr?? Heck, I barely get that with my 14 year old 26gal Chevy pickup. My Bronco on long trips might get 320 and I'm not a lead foot. Definitely though, not room for gas or golf clubs. Ya gotta be married to the links to carry golf clubs in a 2dr across state lines. lol

There are a few threads about addressing the various noises. I need to add some weather seals to the join between front and back; the wind is so loud. The floppy windows and unnecessarily loud top are my big two issues, since I've left the sun visors for dead... lol :whistle:

OP
OP
Mikey D

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

400 miles in 2dr?? Heck, I barely get that with my 14 year old 26gal Chevy pickup. My Bronco on long trips might get 320 and I'm not a lead foot. Definitely though, not room for gas or golf clubs. Ya gotta be married to the links to carry golf clubs in a 2dr across state lines. lol

There are a few threads about addressing the various noises. I need to add some weather seals to the join between front and back; the wind is so loud. The floppy windows and unnecessarily loud top are my big two issues, since I've left the sun visors for dead... lol :whistle:
I need to add insulation to hard top, but not sure it'll help much. I think @Ford Motor Company should come out with a 2-door and 4 door properly engineered DIY insulation kit designed to really do the job correctly. Glad I threw the clubs in the back.....had a good day on the links. :)⛳ I've got a Mishimoto Intercooler ready to install. Wonder what that will do to MPG and Turbo temps.
Sponsored