Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was an older Jeep on a ride one time that kept opening the hood every time he stopped, due to some endemic overheating issue. I would say try that, maybe it'll help.
That's a Jeep for ya...
They are all broken, just how much is what separates new from old, stock or modded! lol
Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curiously: Is anyone running water wetter for coolant? I used to run this in any kind of racing motorcycle because 1) it wasn't going to cover the track in a superslick if you crashed and 2) it ran the engine considerably cooler then anti-freeze.
Not in a warrantied vehicle, manufacturers hate that stuff!

One more upgrade

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe Mogush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tesla Plaid X 22 Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Something I have noticed and wanted to discuss or look for solutions, is that the Bronco 2.7 does not seem to manage heat very well.

This is mainly in the desert when off-roading where we need to use quite a bit of power for hill climbs and maintain tourque when swtiching dunes etc etc. Manual mode is best and we keep the RPM high when needed.

In these situations the Bronco really seems to suffer with heat management, 125 degrees C for the engine and 120ish for the transmission can likely happen within minutes and power loss is subsequent.

Not sure if this is the design of the engine, or maybe the small 2.7L block.. However, I wanted to ask here if there would be anyone that can recommend solutions for us to fix this.. Other than the heat, car seems to perform very well.
I run the B&M transmission pan, which holds additional fluid. I also run a Mishimoto oil cooler and their new radiator. I live in Arizona, and off-roading in the summer months pushes the oil and transmission temps up. I completed the upgrades at the end of last summer, and the Mishimoto radiator was recently installed. The real test for me will be in July and August, but as of now, I have not seen any spikes in temps while pushing it hard in the desert.

This is the part needed to add the oil cooler.
https://www.baxterperformanceusa.co...t-fs-101-bk-cartridge-to-spin-on-adapter.html

sandwitch.jpg

Mish.lines.jpg

OP
OP
Hashlak

Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch, Porsche GT3RS, Honda CBR1000RR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Temps should rise with AC on, not lower! Now if your heat is on that will reduce temps!!!
Let's see a pic of the front of your ride, maybe something you have added is causing issues, I know blocking the airflow is a big no no with the Bronco, but you should see lowered fuel millage before you have overheating issues.
For some reason, I have experience the opposite effect haha. Everytime I have the AC on (cooling) there is a significant drop in temperature engine oil temps.. Without AC it will sit idle at like 97 degrees, where as with AC cooling ON its about 87.

Here is a pic of my ride.. However, its not just me, many owners here have the same issue when pushing the car hard in the desert, in soft sand and climbing large dunes.

Ford Bronco Engine overheating IMG-20240304-WA0157

OP
OP
Hashlak

Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I run the B&M transmission pan, which holds additional fluid. I also run a Mishimoto oil cooler and their new radiator. I live in Arizona, and off-roading in the summer months pushes the oil and transmission temps up. I completed the upgrades at the end of last summer, and the Mishimoto radiator was recently installed. The real test for me will be in July and August, but as of now, I have not seen any spikes in temps while pushing it hard in the desert.

This is the part needed to add the oil cooler.
https://www.baxterperformanceusa.co...t-fs-101-bk-cartridge-to-spin-on-adapter.html

sandwitch.jpg

Mish.lines.jpg
Man, this is amazing, exactly what I was looking for.

Can you please eloborate on what temp changes are like now? Before/After?

Also, request if you can kindly go into more detail on the parts and install tips.

I can see the Mishimoto radiator in the website, and i have the link for the adaptor that you have mentioned for the oil cooler.. But where can I get the oil cooler? I cant see any compatible oil cooler on Mishimoto website for the bronco. And where can I get the B&M transmission pan?

Is it worth looking into changing thermostat? Or maybe having a manual switch to max out the fan when offroading?

Thanks! This will be my project for the summer, would be a great sucess if we can sort cooling issues out for next season :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For some reason, I have experience the opposite effect haha. Everytime I have the AC on (cooling) there is a significant drop in temperature engine oil temps.. Without AC it will sit idle at like 97 degrees, where as with AC cooling ON its about 87.

Here is a pic of my ride.. However, its not just me, many owners here have the same issue when pushing the car hard in the desert, in soft sand and climbing large dunes.

Ford Bronco Engine overheating IMG-20240304-WA0157
Sounds like your fan isn't running as hard without the A/C on. Maybe there's a FORSCAN setting? I don't know.

- The additional pusher fan on the front of the radiator may help if it's set to full power 10°F or so below thermostat opening temp. A manual switch for any type of fan is kind of pointless(except cutoff for water fording) but each to their own.
- A lower temp thermostat will do nothing because it's already open at the temperature you're describing.
- A better intercooler will most definitely help as well as a better radiator (if it is better, I have no idea without testing).
- I would stay away from liquid cooled units for any oils due to the high OEM operating temp. But the recommended air to oil cooler with a temperature sensor to activate a fan could be very beneficial. I just don't see many places to tuck one of these unless it's purely offroad fun. Remember that adding any length of hose to a system that pumps oil adds stress to the pump and reduces efficiency so keep the length and bends minimal. This is doubly so if you try to lower the temperature too much. A fan that's always on means a system is being worked too hard or can't reach the requested temperatures (normal not offroad). Be very careful you keep good fluid levels in these systems. You've already had Ford techs comment on this thread that would know if pump strength/longevity could be a concern better than I would.

OP
OP
Hashlak

Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you guys for the above.

Can someone please advise which mishimoto oil cooler is compatible as "One more upgrade" has shown?

OP
OP
Hashlak

Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I have just recently fitted the SPD 170 degree thermostat and swapped the radiator coolant to a better performance coolant.

I have noticed faster cooldown/recovery time, and slightly more stable trans temps, however the engine temp still seems to climb quickly when on wide open throttle. The quicker cool down is definitely appreciated.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

Would changing the transmission cooler help?

As suggested above, I may also look at the deeper oil pan.
Sponsored