First Name
Vahe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hello folks recently well known company EcoFlow released a 800W Alternator Charger, I ordered mine and while I am waiting for it wanted to know if anyone already hooked up one to his bronco , how it's behaving? How it's charging while car is idling, overall how broncos alternator handling those 800 W. Later when I receive mine I will post a video how to route it from engine bay to the trunk . Thank you
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine is sitting in a box in the garage. I've not yet installed it.

I did some preliminary measurements on where I'm going to locate it and how much work its going to be to get it in place. The wiring itself will have to run along the trim on the drivers side of the vehicle and thru the firewall. The device itself will mount in the cargo area probably in that little cubby on the drivers side where I currently keep a tire repair kit. This allows the cable from the charger to easily reach a shelf mounted Delta 2 right next to it.

Previously I had been using an EcoFlow 200W AC adapter via an extension cord coming from the Bronco's onboard inverter port behind the center console which was decent, but I'm looking forward to 4X the output that's for sure.

I'm not too worried about the load on the alternator, so far that alternator has taken everything I've thrown at it. I'm probably going to safeguard things a bit and set the starting voltage for allowing charging to be pretty high, that way I know the starter battery is strong and very topped off before power flows to the back.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not too worried about the load on the alternator, so far that alternator has taken everything I've thrown at it. I'm probably going to safeguard things a bit and set the starting voltage for allowing charging to be pretty high, that way I know the starter battery is strong and very topped off before power flows to the back.
When the engine's running, it's always going to detect a higher voltage than what the starter battery's currently at. If there is a minimum charge voltage setting to adjust, I'm not sure it'll make much of a difference.

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Following, I've been using the delta 2 and have been happy for the most part, it no longer charges from the 12v in the car, many people on forums blaming the wire, they were supposed to ship a new one to me but nothing yet.

Anyway, there is also this cheaper option for those that might be looking for something similar as the ecoflow 800w charger saw on a YouTube video.

Haven't decided if I want to pony up for the ecoflow or this other one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTMH3V7...118178b63a39a&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When the engine's running, it's always going to detect a higher voltage than what the starter battery's currently at. If there is a minimum charge voltage setting to adjust, I'm not sure it'll make much of a difference.
True, I think perhaps that setting is more for allowing the device to draw the starter battery down a little? Some learning to do.

Sponsored

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

True, I think perhaps that setting is more for allowing the device to draw the starter battery down a little? Some learning to do.
Can’t say for certain as I don’t have this device, but my guess is it’s the low voltage disconnect. If that’s the case, that setting is used to determine if the engine is running (vis-a-vis the higher voltage). If the voltage drops below a certain threshold, it assumes the engine is off, and it cuts the charger output.

I’d be surprised if it allows you to charge at all without the engine running. At 800W, it’d be pulling over 66A from the starter battery. With the stock 80Ah AGM, without the engine running, that’d be a little over 30 minutes before it’s effectively drained.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can’t say for certain as I don’t have this device, but my guess is it’s the low voltage disconnect. If that’s the case, that setting is used to determine if the engine is running (vis-a-vis the higher voltage). If the voltage drops below a certain threshold, it assumes the engine is off, and it cuts the charger output.

I’d be surprised if it allows you to charge at all without the engine running. At 800W, it’d be pulling over 66A from the starter battery. With the stock 80Ah AGM, without the engine running, that’d be a little over 30 minutes before it’s effectively drained.
Yeah I think you're right.

This thing has three modes:
  1. Charge Mode - Draws up to 800W, to recharge an attached power station with a voltage cutoff
  2. Battery Maintenance Mode - Sends up to 100W from a power station to the starter battery (basically a trickle charger)
  3. Reverse Charge mode - Send up to 800W from a power station to the starter battery
Some key notes in the install guide:

Do not connect the negative to the battery's negative terminal, the sensor there can mess with the charger, make sure you connect it to the chassis.

They also reference that this thing can tell if the vehicle is in motion. I'm not sure if it's assuming that based on an electrical state or of it it actually has an accelerometer in it.

I'm excited to do this install, here's the end-state I'm after:

Ford Bronco EcoFlow 800W Alternator Charger Vs Bronco Alternator 1718659487003-hi

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like 240amps available from the alternator on our broncos.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/attachments/21_bronco_techspecs-pdf.235850/

This guy upgraded his jeeps alternator from 180amps to 220amps to make sure he wont have issues. Was a pretty good review including various scenarios. His main issue is that it keeps charging when the engine is shut off and wants more granular control of the voltage at which it stops charging.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like 240amps available from the alternator on our broncos.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/attachments/21_bronco_techspecs-pdf.235850/

This guy upgraded his jeeps alternator from 180amps to 220amps to make sure he wont have issues. Was a pretty good review including various scenarios. His main issue is that it keeps charging when the engine is shut off and wants more granular control of the voltage at which it stops charging.

Wow. I’m really surprised EcoFlow allows you to set the low voltage disconnect for the starter battery as low as 11V. That doesn’t make any sense. Like the guy said in the video, finer control of this setting would be nice, but setting it at 13V would be fine.

Sponsored

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just ordered mine with the battery deal delta 2 + charger for 900. Should here hopefully before my trip. Now I'll have 2 delta 2s, one tucked behind each seat.

Also, been doing a bit of research and make sure to update the firmware on your battery box before, looks like folks are having issues not doing that first.

If any of you end up installing this soon, post an update. Would love to see how you end up wiring it through the truck.

masshole

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed last weekend, and quite happy with it.

Ran the power cable from the driver's side cargo area, underneath all the plastic on the driver's side (lay the cable flat on top of all the other wiring and it will fit), underneath the kick panel, and up through the grommet on the driver's side. Some things I learned:

1. Follow posts in this forum like #2 here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/driver-side-kick-panel-removal.78304/ by @Ducati1098
2. There's plenty of length to the cable, actually a bit too much. Leaving the excess in the cargo area seemed better than having excess in the hood.
3. Update the Delta 2 firmware immediately. It didn't work for me at first, but the update was pushed through this week.
4. Mounting on a roll bar MOLLE was the best option for me. That much heat seemed best aired out and left the rest of the cargo area open.

All in all, a really nice add on. I'm able to charge the Delta 2 as if I were at home (albeit a little slower at 800W vs 1200W), which essentially means I'll be able to run everything (fridge, phone, other batteries, etc) and charge up while driving. The free 100W solar panel that came with it might never get used because its so easy to just charge with the alternator.

Sorry, didn't take pics of the process but here are some final ones:
Ford Bronco EcoFlow 800W Alternator Charger Vs Bronco Alternator PXL_20240619_150517033.RAW-01.COVER

Ford Bronco EcoFlow 800W Alternator Charger Vs Bronco Alternator PXL_20240619_150510992.RAW-01.MP.COVER

Ford Bronco EcoFlow 800W Alternator Charger Vs Bronco Alternator PXL_20240619_150453936.RAW-01.MP.COVER

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems like an expensive solution for a problem that really isn't that bad...
Sponsored