Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As more and more of us get build dates, I’m expecting to see take-off Badlnds and Sasquatch coil overs in the B6G marketplace.

Everything I’ve read here leads me to believe one can swap stock Hitachi coil overs for Bilstein (all other suspensions parts being same/comparable). Is that correct?

Are all 4 door suspensions “plug-and-ply” compatible? I get that you wouldn’t want to put a 2 door suspension on a 4 door, or vice versa. But would there be any issue with putting 4d 2.7L non-SAS Badlands coil overs on a 4d 2.3L Big Bend or Base, for example? Or 4d 2.3L SAS OBX coil overs on a 4d 2.7L non-SAS Black Diamond?

How careful do people need to be when mixing and matching suspension parts?

I’d love to put DL take-offs on my 4d Base 2.3L, but suspect most BL take-offs will be from a 2.7L configuration. Trying to determine if this is really a good idea or if I should just do a one inch spacer lift and be done with it.

The dampening at the end of the travel range on the Bilstein suspension is just beautiful engineering, and I want in if it’s doable.
Sponsored

clarkT

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

you are right on about everything. Somewhere on here a thread has all the different spring types being discussed (they letter something like “A thru P”. That’s the insane part no one has cracked perfectly yet. No data from ford on spring rates and heights.

So you have to have a Vin for a comparable badlands (engine, doors, tow seem to dominate) to look up what suspension you want on your base.

I’m in same boat - got a base for speed of delivery. Want BL suspension height, not SAS stuff. But honestly, SAS takeoffs have been more plentiful and cheaper so far both on the member market and from ford. The BL suspension ford calls “special”.

Your best friend on this will be @mpeugeot (has some help on BL vins) and @flip (sells these as kits).

Those guys will likely crack the spring mystery soon. That said, I doubt having a slightly stiffer or softer spring than ford designed makes much difference day to day.

OP
OP
Mzekew

Mzekew

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I doubt having a slightly stiffer or softer spring than ford designed makes much difference day to day.
I’ve seen that post you referenced with the dozen or so different spring part numbers. I’m hoping you’re right about it not making much difference in reality.

My thinking is a 2.7L weighs a little more so needs a slightly stiffer spring… but if installed on a 2.3L in the real world just means slightly less rake. If that’s the case, we’re in business.

good point about SAS being more available. I’m running 33s, so my mind went to BL “special” as closest to factory specs, but SAS COs would work just fine, too.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are “plenty“ of 2.3L badlands being built, all of the ones that are manual trans at least. I don’t think I’ll be upgrading mine from the stock Bilstein.

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Chevy, 2004 Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Base
I got a set of take offs that were from BL but have SAS part #'s. Will let you know how they ride after I get a bronco to put them on. ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mzekew

Mzekew

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got a set of take offs that were from BL but have SAS part #'s. Will let you know how they ride after I get a bronco to put them on. ;)
If you’re willing to share, how much did you end up paying for the take-offs?

I’ve seen a recent thread claiming someone got all 4 corners from a dealer’s parts department for something like $1,300. Wondering what the going rate for used will end up being now that info is out.

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you’re willing to share, how much did you end up paying for the take-offs?

I’ve seen a recent thread claiming someone got all 4 corners from a dealer’s parts department for something like $1,300. Wondering what the going rate for used will end up being now that info is out.
I got a deal for all 5 wheels and tires with suspension. You may see a price for struts only around $800 to $1k for all 4?

OP
OP
Mzekew

Mzekew

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Comadivine11

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Chevy Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@mpeugeot or any other knowledgeable people:

Instead of starting a new thread, this seems like a good place for my question. I'm getting a 2.3L BD. Plan to keep stock steelies but upgrade to a 285/70r17, maybe 295/70r17s, set of tires. My question is, if I someday look to upgrade the suspension, I would probably look for non-sas BL takeoffs. In such a move what would I be looking at needing to buy from a person selling their takeoffs? Would the coilovers be all that I need or would I need to also be grabbing the control arms? As far as compatibility, am I correct in saying it looks like coil-overs from a non-sas BL should be plug-and-play on a BD?

Thanks.

Edit: Not trying to hijack your thread but it looks like we have similar questions. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am planning to put SAS-BL 2.7L on my BD with 2.3L (both 4DR). The weight difference is like 200 lbs. Shouldn't be a concern. That's the difference of one passenger or a bit of gear.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am planning to put SAS-BL 2.7L on my BD with 2.3L (both 4DR). The weight difference is like 200 lbs. Shouldn't be a concern. That's the difference of one passenger or a bit of gear.
The 2.7 springs on the 2.3 are probably a good fit if you plan on a winch bumper. This is the direction I'll probably go till the aftermarket gets here with spring/shock lifts.
Sponsored