Sponsored

Base Bronco kicker key and new speaker set up?

Steed76

Outer Banks
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Interesting and good conversation here regarding the 2 way vs. woofer for the kick panels. I think having the subwoofer delete in the back like i have and the 3 1/2s in the front it might be advantageous to have just woofers in the kicks. Hopefully others will chime in. OP thanks for starting this thread.
Sponsored

greatlakes

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Buick Special
Your Bronco Model
Base
I used upgraded 4" 2-way speakers in the front, and mid-bass in the kick panels running off the Kicker Key200.4 in bi-amp mode. I did not touch the factory rears.

I also added a 10" sub with a 2nd amp for bass and am pretty happy with the outcome.

DJ1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im leaning towards a mid bass woofer after doing more research today.
That will give you the best potential outcome, mid-bass drivers low and highs in the dash. It depends on if your goal is to just sound better than stock or to get the most out of your setup.

If you go with what you describe, you will need to manage the frequencies with crossovers. Maybe the speakers you picked have built-in band-pass and high-pass filters, then you are good.
I have a somewhat similar setup with a 2-way component system using active and passive crossovers:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-dsp-speakers-and-sub-lots-of-pictures.43856/

The Kicker Key 200.4 is underpowered, IMO, for what you are doing and won't be able to do anything for optimizing multiple speakers on the same channel. Like @greatlakes did, using the Key to drive the 4 front speakers each on its own channel is probably the best if you are going to stick with the Key.

And add a subwoofer. The mid-bass drivers are great if you put enough clean power to them, but they don't do what a subwoofer does.

OP
OP

balckstang93

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 base bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I used upgraded 4" 2-way speakers in the front, and mid-bass in the kick panels running off the Kicker Key200.4 in bi-amp mode. I did not touch the factory rears.

I also added a 10" sub with a 2nd amp for bass and am pretty happy with the outcome.
i bought the plugnplay harness. can i use it in bi-amp mode like you did?

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Funny those are the exact ones I plan on buying. My dash and rear are already Hertz
Which speaker models did you install, I wanted to go CENTO, but the tweeters looked to sit too proud of the woofer for the factory grills to fit?

OP
OP

balckstang93

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 base bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just bought the Hertz 165 Cento 165L's to put in the kick panels. Sounded like the right decision after all the reading on here.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't believe they plug-n-play harness comes wired for bi-amp mode. I ran my own wires.
I believe most Plug-n-play harnesses are going to use the stock speaker wiring - which will have the Rear channel go to the rear pods, and the Front channel going to the Kick/Dash in parallel.

Sponsored

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How do you like them and what kind of power are you running through them?
I like them a lot, good for a budget build for sure. The whole system is powered by a 5 channel Kicker amp that’s like 65 w/channel for The 4 main channels and 300W sub

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like them a lot, good for a budget build for sure. The whole system is powered by a 5 channel Kicker amp that’s like 65 w/channel for The 4 main channels and 300W sub
Very cool, I have almost the same planned, I have an Alpine 5 channel amp with the same spec, I didn’t think the deci’s could handle the power, obviously I was wrong!
Thanks for the info, appriciated!đź‘Ť

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very cool, I have almost the same planned, I have an Alpine 5 channel amp with the same spec, I didn’t think the deci’s could handle the power, obviously I was wrong!
The can definitely handle it, it’ll make my ears bleed with no noticeable distortion. FYI for the sub, I put in an 8” Kicker in where the factory sub location is using the Gearshade enclosure.

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

By the way be sure and get some 600 hz bass blockers for the front dash speakers. Rear is already blocked in the head unit
Sponsored