Baja Design install help needed

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So started my modular bumper Baja design install last night then came to a screeching halt when the Bolt and nylon lock but would not budge. Hand thread and then power tool until the bolt barely stuck out of the nut and then would not move. Tried hand wrench, table vice, etc. not budging… likely will have to cut off and source new hardware for that one…

anyway, I have two (4pod) squadrons and one duel sr1 for my modular bumper. I see that I can mount light bracket directly to the bumper but that wouldmake it stick out a bit and more prone to damage. I did buy the mounting plate but it is different that the bracket for one 4 pod and two 2 pods. Anyone have suggestions to n positioning on the bracket? There are three slots, 3 sections, and each area there play so I can adjust, which is great for universal and tweaking but I just would like some advice if you have done the same install…. Also, do you recommend pulling the front corner of the bumper off for install? Not sure what the tork size is on bumper screws, not included with tool bag. Thanks
Sponsored

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Same problem. Broke, got replacements, lube before install. I had time, got my lights 3 months before my bronco.

421A7752-F7FF-4A0E-B4CF-54599FC75F36.jpeg

Last edited:

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fitting worked out, just had to figure out what went where. Didn’t remove bumper ends just the bash plate to hide the wires.

3089E535-814D-471F-8432-1A67FA06A84E.jpeg

nd2002

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 BMW M2, '18 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Similar issue. I broke and replaced 2 bolts. Couple of tips:

1. Don’t tighten all the way down at first, it’ll make adjusting the lights after install tricky.

2. Removing the end caps makes adjusting after install a whole lot easier. You can use the toolkit with the included Torx plus bit or buy a set of your own T+ bits for those Bronco bolts on the bumper.

3. Hand thread those Bronco bolts first! Don’t use power tools! I shredded one bolt head just using a Milwaukee ratchet

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fitting worked out, just had to figure out what went where. Didn’t remove bumper ends just the bash plate to hide the wires.

Ford Bronco Baja Design install help needed 3089E535-814D-471F-8432-1A67FA06A84E
Man they look so damn good congrats

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you ordered your kit from us, please contact us with your order # and we'll provide new hardware. If you did not order from us, you'll need to reach out to whatever vendor you chose for support.

You should use anti-seize lubricant when installing the bolts/lock nuts that Baja Designs uses. It's a common issue and we've addressed this with them after there were numerous reports of this happening.

New orders going out the door (from us anyway) will include anti-size lubricant (it's not here yet, we're receiving a shipment Friday). Our instructions for our own kits also point out that you should use anti-seize lubricant.

OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you ordered your kit from us, please contact us with your order # and we'll provide new hardware. If you did not order from us, you'll need to reach out to whatever vendor you chose for support.

You should use anti-seize lubricant when installing the bolts/lock nuts that Baja Designs uses. It's a common issue and we've addressed this with them after there were numerous reports of this happening.

New orders going out the door (from us anyway) will include anti-size lubricant (it's not here yet, we're receiving a shipment Friday). Our instructions for our own kits also point out that you should use anti-seize lubricant.
Yes I ordered from you direct, I fortunately I burnt out my drill due to this… not fun. I did go buy some nuts and bolts to replace already. Hope I can get the ones I already put on the bracket (assuming I didn’t put it in the correct position. Would white lithium lubricant work for anti-seize?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes I ordered from you direct, I fortunately I burnt out my drill due to this… not fun. I did go buy some nuts and bolts to replace already. Hope I can get the ones I already put on the bracket (assuming I didn’t put it in the correct position. Would white lithium lubricant work for anti-seize?
Drill? What are you using a drill for???

Any automotive lubricant should do the job.

OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Drill? What are you using a drill for???

Any automotive lubricant should do the job.
I hand tightened then couldn’t get it any further. Tried bolt in table Vic and reverse with impact drill… I know… super ridiculous and frustrating. I have never had something like that seize

OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco Baja Design install help needed image

Any recommendations on placement for this type of bracket for the modular from I bumper?

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I hand tightened then couldn’t get it any further. Tried bolt in table Vic and reverse with impact drill… I know… super ridiculous and frustrating. I have never had something like that seize
Well it's a lock nut... you can't hand tighten lock nuts.

doccoch

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 1967 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

same thing happened with me. My kit is kind of in the corner or garage right now due to full freeze up. Couldn't get to fully tighten or reverse out. I mean I put in vise and was whacking with hammer and couldn't get to move. weirdest thing.

cullenmcm

First Edition
First Name
Cullen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I contacted Baja Designs and they very promptly sent me new hardware free of charge. I then used a nut breaker to physically split the nut off the bolt.

Dirtyjed

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Dmax, 86 FunRunnah, Tiyoda truggy, Honda shi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also had to break 3 of the 6 bolts (vice,1/2 drive, pipe cheater) when they magically siezed to the nuts.
Replaced all of them with Grade 8 and used glitter lube.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had two of the six nuts seize, and that was wrench tightening but not snug. I was able to loosen one off after adding oil and had to cut one off. On the one I could undo I saw that the problem was galling. Stainless steel is susceptible to galling and I should have known better.

https://fastenerengineering.com/what-causes-fastener-seizing-and-galling/

It was cold in the garage when I did my install. Adding assembly lube (sewing machine oil) for the remainder of the job fixed the issue. I found the bolts I needed from my bolt bucket (including nylok nuts) and carried on with the job.

Listen to Adam from 4x4TruckLEDs. Adam, I didn’t get any lube with my order from you but no matter - the lights are in and I’m happy with the KR bracket for both the reverse lights and the modular bumper lights.
Sponsored