Sponsored

Backlight on Diode Dynamics - Street Legal?

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So honestly this may seem like a really dumb question and I know states have differing laws related to lighting like Ditch Lights and Light Bars. This is the first time I installed some ditch lights and mine came with a "backlight" feature. I did end up wiring up the back light to AUX4 and the main light to AUX 3. The back light puts out very little light and is more cosmetic. My question is if it is even legal to have the back light on when on the street? I know its illegal to have the main white light on but I wasnt sure about the back light.

On a side note, I was really happy I went with Diode Dynamics. I saw both the Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics in person and I thought Diode Dynamics was a lot better constructed and I loved the matte black look. I will say this if you are installing the harness that does come from Diode Dynamics is not really good. It has an extra relay and battery wire you do not need at all. I purchased the oem one from them but again was more work than necessary as the backlight needed some splicing on the wires so I returned that one. Shout out to @4x4TruckLEDs.com - I finally found a harness that worked. Next time I buy lights will be buying from them directly since they had exactly what I was looking for.

Back Light Picture

Ford Bronco Backlight on Diode Dynamics - Street Legal? unnamed

Found a side road nobody was on to test it really quick.

Headlights Only Picture

Ford Bronco Backlight on Diode Dynamics - Street Legal? Ima

With Ditch Lights On

Ford Bronco Backlight on Diode Dynamics - Street Legal? Image(1)
Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't know if they are legal, but they are nice to have when someone tailgates you with their high beams on.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's honestly up to your state but rule of thumb is... no. Back-lighting is not legal. That being said, amber indicator lights are required on certain vehicles over a certain width and some vehicles use amber indicators as well even if they are not that wide.

Sooooo if you had them seutp with amber, you might get away with it since it could be called an indicator light.

Thanks for the comments, all of our Diode Dynamics pillar kits include our harness so if anybody needs ditch lights our harness is included

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-dynamics-stage-series-ss3-ditch-light-kit-for-2021-ford-bronco/

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here, IF they cared, it’s just a compliance ticket. No fine and turn them off. It’s like red or blue under lighting.

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have had set to Amber on truck for over a year, passed many officers and no issue in Kansas. I assume if picked other colors may have an issue.

Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At least here, it's no different than adding white or amber marker lights to the front of your vehicle. But our lighting laws are very loose in AK and loosely enforced.

UpNawth22

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I looked through the Maine statutes and couldn't find anything that specifically said they were illegal. They aren't bright enough to hinder other drivers, aren't brighter than headlights, and as long as they are set to amber they are considered indicator or clearance lights. I'll make sure to ask if I get stopped. 😬🤣

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's really not a huge deal unless you either
A) give them a reason to pull you other than the very low lumens backlighting
B) happen to run into a Deputy or Trooper who is having a really, really bad day.

Often times I have found that if you are obeying the traffic laws and not doing anything else dumb to get pulled for, they typically won't waste their time or yours for pulling you for a super low-level amber ambient lighting on your cowl.
I run mine on ambient pretty much every morning, pass a few deputies and an occasional trooper on my way to work. No issues, as I am not speeding, running stop signs, burning tires.
Now if you were running the Aux ditch lights while driving, different ball game. But the low level ambients?
It's a technicality and one often times isn't worth their time or effort unless you just catch their attention in the wrong ways.
But, YMMV, as in all cases where the line between lawful and illegal mods on the road are concerned is walked. A lot depends on your local enforcement people and their attitudes towards it.
Sponsored