Sponsored

4WD fault message on instrument cluster, loss of throttle response.

Mikk

Big Bend
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was on my way out of town Thursday, on the highway when a fault message appeared on the instrument cluster: "4WD fault", followed by the expected "service vehicle soon". Not much I could do, but shutting the Bronco off and restarting didn't clear anything. I couldn't change drive modes either. Way worse, though, was that about an hour later the throttle would become intermittently unresponsive. I was on the highway, towing a box trailer during rush hour. I could get it to work for a while at a time by downshifting (manual) and flooring it for a second or two. I managed to reach my destination. The next morning, before calling the dealer, I crawled underneath and found the wiring harness to the transfer case had concltacted the driveshaft and was wearing through. Not impressed! I don't see any missing clips, at first glance it looks like it just drooped down onto the driveshaft after 15 months of ownership. It's going in next week; the dealer talked about reparing it, not replacing it, which doesn't give me much confidence. The damage isn't terrible, so hopefully it can be fixed and made properly waterproof. I guess we'll know when it goes in. But it is scary that a wire to the transfer case shorting to the driveshaft can suddenly kill the throttle, that could have resulted in a serious accident! I tied it back out of the way and seems to work fine now with no codes at the moment.

Ford Bronco 4WD fault message on instrument cluster, loss of throttle response. 20240517_091701

Ford Bronco 4WD fault message on instrument cluster, loss of throttle response. 20240517_091710

Ford Bronco 4WD fault message on instrument cluster, loss of throttle response. 20240517_091722
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, it IS a ford, so I guess this is to be expected, unfortunately.