Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Interest rates are high, but that is to slow inflation down because people won't stop buying. Houses are still selling for some unknown reason, and the stock market is at an all time high as well. Consumer debt always goes up, but in general, available credit is healthy.

Just curious, what's your measure for saying the economy sucks right now?
The doom and gloom is silly because new cars sales are still slightly up from last year and projected to remain that way.

https://www.coxautoinc.com/insights/#snapshot

What has changed is consumer tastes. Cheaper cars are flying off the lots and overpriced trucks like the Tundra and Gladiator are rotting. Broncos are the poster child for overpriced vehicles after all the price increases.
Sponsored

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford, somehow, has misunderstood the public’s wants. Inflation aside, Ford should be making more low end models (including base) and less high end models. Like we’ve always said, most of these $60k+ broncos are really a $30k toy with another $30k in accessories.

These things would be flying off the shelves at $30-$36k. I’m guessing Ford over estimated the demand? And why so many trims?

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford, somehow, has misunderstood the public’s wants. Inflation aside, Ford should be making more low end models (including base) and less high end models. Like we’ve always said, most of these $60k+ broncos are really a $30k toy with another $30k in accessories.
... ... ...
My opinion - remove all the chips and software ($$$). No screens, no connected anything, even no radio. Just provide a capable 4x4 with the same styling. Only creature comfort I'd ask for is air conditioning.

Added - well - and maybe a better roof... .. .

rak2

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree with all the points made here. This is not quite a nitche vehicle but it's also not for everybody.
I bought a base 22 for that very reason, to make it my own rig without feeling guilty about ripping off pricey factory parts. Ford made a mistake by killing off lower end models.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's NOT just the bronco that isn't selling, NOT much of anything is selling well and from all manufacturers.
Where I work at makes parts for all the major manufactures , both ICE and EV. Up until January of this year we were wide open on 4 shifts 7 days per week. Now we have layed off half the work force and run 1 shift on Saturday and nothing but maintenance on Sundays. The future is still up in the air as forecasted production numbers has all but dried up. Every time I go to Home Depot , the grocery store or out to eat It's pretty obvious that the economy is not as great as some would have you to believe. Yeah the stock market is at an all time high but it's strange that most peoples 401k just recently got back to the level it was in '21. I'm lucky that I make well over the average wage and everything I own except for the new car the wife just bought is paid off. I feel for the families that are struggling and maybe make $16 hr during this time. Yeah the economy is great though..

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I kind of agree with all three points. If you are not into at least some form of offroading beyond forrest roads and/or don't have small hands why buy a Bronco? It is noisy, MPG sucks, on-asphalt ride sucks, interior is bare minimum, the electronics suck, the interior appointments suck, the AC kind of sucks. And let's not forget - no rear cupholders.

As a mostly DD with an occasional weekend outing it beats the crap out of a Wrangler, but as an exclusive family vehicle one would do much better with a 4Runner, LandCrusier, and pretty much any full size SUV at about the same price. And I still struggle not to call mine a "Jeep" when talking to friends and family. Like it or not the Jeep has a deep mindshare that the Bronco never had, and may never get. It is not a great vehicle except for a very small group, yet it sells well beyond the value that it brings its average buyer. Most of the Jeeps I see on the road are Sports or Willis with the standard Wranger "all terrain" tires which are little more than slightly beefier street tires that will puncture and/or tear the moment you bring them up to 40 mph on a gravel road. Clearly vehicles that will never see any meaningful offroading yet people buy them. Why? I have no idea. I guess the same reason people buy a base Base.
I will disagree with your whole first paragraph.

I did not buy nor intend to buy a rock crawler. I have no desire to flip my Bronco over backwards while attempting to climb "El Capitan" I was in the market for a mid-size SUV with AWD capabilities to rival my deceased LR3 after spending two years behind the wheel of an oversized Yukon. The market I looked at included a Discovery Sport (which are still relatively dirt cheap) and the new Defender. Spec by spec the Bronco came very close to the Defender except when it came to price. $10k-$15k easy difference, more depending on how built.

Highway handling has been superb. Overall mpg approaches 20. What's wrong with 20 for a 2.5 ton brick that also goes 0-60 in low 6's out of the box? This ain't your father's Mustang, but it could whup almost any 60s-70s Mustang in any straight or curved line of your choosing. Soot, your momma's Odyssey could whup a 69 GTO!!! And if you would have bought the right package and number of doors you too could have two factory cupholders in the back seat.

Sure there is no rear AC but the volume of air moved from dash vents to rear seems sufficient.

The peeps that give up their Broncos and move to something else NEVER move to an equivalent platform or size, instead they buy honkin big F150 King Ranch or Ram 2500. Obviously they wree Explorer-Expedition shopping when they bought their Bronco

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

These things would be flying off the shelves at $30-$36k. I’m guessing Ford over estimated the demand? And why so many trims?
We need burger wars in the auto industry. McDonald's is now matching the Wendy's concept of the biggie bag for $5. And you can get a burger at Arby's What's with that? A run of $25,000 stripped SUV's would turn the market on its head. You can't even by a "work" pickup anymore that does not come with luxury trim and power everything. Name a current vehicle for sale that has crankup windows and no AC - well AC is mandatory because the catalytic converter and other emissions hard/soft ware makes even a Focus unbearable without. And cameras everywhere all because too many people cant turn their heads around to look behind

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree with @PrepVet this Ford has priced the Bronco out of the market. Hell I said the same thing a year ago. Ford needs to STOP trying to make up for losses in the EV market by throwing it on the Bronco. Yes, year 1 & 2 they couldn't build it fast enough. But with the quality issues and people just plain losing interest, sales have slowed considerably.

And for those who want to preach that this is a purpose built off road machine, it's time to come down off your high horse. Sure it can go off road, but I guarantee you that the 200k or so Jeeps sold every year aren't all hard core off roaders. The off road community is much smaller that you seem to believe. Plenty of people out there like it as a DD (same as Jeeps). More people use it to tow trailers or campers. Some use it as a work vehicle. Not everyone wants to crawl up the side of a mountain.

As for those who say the Bronco doesn't have the same following as a Jeep? Yes, correct to a degree, but not 100% true. Talk to anyone who has owned a Bronco in the past, whether it be an EB or one from the 80's or 90's. I bet the majority of those people were also lifers. Whether you liked the Gen 1 & 2 or preferred the full size (F150 based), you'd gladly take another any day of the week!

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The local dealer has 19 Broncos on the lot, only two of which are 2-doors which is the only configuration I'm interested in. They're higher end trims, and crazy expensive. All have been there for weeks (or months, as the case is with the loaded '23 BL 2-door they have - not surprising with a $67K sticker).

I want one but own my '23 JL Rubi 2-door free and clear (which I ordered with no options other than the 2.0T and painted fenders), and I'm not seeing the value in moving to a Bronco anytime soon given the pricing.

Ford needs to bring back the base so I can order the BaseSquatch I wanted but couldn't, which made me order my JL.

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I kind of agree with all three points. If you are not into at least some form of offroading beyond forrest roads and/or don't have small hands why buy a Bronco? It is noisy, MPG sucks, on-asphalt ride sucks, interior is bare minimum, the electronics suck, the interior appointments suck, the AC kind of sucks. And let's not forget - no rear cupholders.

As a mostly DD with an occasional weekend outing it beats the crap out of a Wrangler, but as an exclusive family vehicle one would do much better with a 4Runner, LandCrusier, and pretty much any full size SUV at about the same price. And I still struggle not to call mine a "Jeep" when talking to friends and family. Like it or not the Jeep has a deep mindshare that the Bronco never had, and may never get. It is not a great vehicle except for a very small group, yet it sells well beyond the value that it brings its average buyer. Most of the Jeeps I see on the road are Sports or Willis with the standard Wranger "all terrain" tires which are little more than slightly beefier street tires that will puncture and/or tear the moment you bring them up to 40 mph on a gravel road. Clearly vehicles that will never see any meaningful offroading yet people buy them. Why? I have no idea. I guess the same reason people buy a base Base.
I think a convertible SUV still sells for a lot of people. Especially since the sedan is now dead, Broncos and Jeeps are your most attractive open air option.

I wholly agree with your take of it being a sub par DD. I try to give this caveat to the average person who asks my opinion. If you want comfort you’ll find a luxo-barge pickup truck much more fitting.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 24 Ranger Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doing B&P on the Ranger, the one I built would be in the $50s.
This is the reason we bought a Raptor. A well optioned Lariat was 52, our Raptor 58. It's a no-brainer. We will be in Minnesota in 2 weeks at the Pro Motocross Nationals. Come over and I will let you drive the Raptor. It will change your mind.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There is strong reason to believe ford wants the Ranger and not having to shares line with Bronco could make sense. I give us a 50/50 shot at making it to a true next gen model. Refresh? Yes. True next gen model in the format we have it now? Not so confident.
I hate to break it you, but the number one reason we got the Bronco in the first place was BECAUSE of the Ranger-they are attached at the hip going forward.

Also look at this way-The new Ranger just came out, if Bronco sales are slipping, the production line with favor Ranger production, once the Ranger sales start cooling off, the updated Bronco will be out and demand should increase.

Ford basically didn't build Rangers for a few months since fall of 2022-One was because a brake line manufacture for the Ranger went tits up and Bronco demand was overwhelming.

Pricing is directly due to ADMs being paid on the Bronco (and inflation)-why is Ford going to lose out on profit to the dealerships collecting it? The telling thing will be how pricing is being handled over the next two years-will it be large increases like we had and how much will a refreshed Bronco cost more then the current model? I can see Ford standing pat on pricing with the new model because the margin is already built into it, short of factoring inflation.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 24 Ranger Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And for those who want to preach that this is a purpose built off road machine, it's time to come down off your high horse
Ford Marketed the Bronco as a way to get out there, off the beaten path, get back to nature etc. Created the Off-Rodeo to educate people on how to crawl over rocks etc. Maybe not hard core purpose built, but definitely an off-road oriented vehicle with good on road manners. Not a grocery getter family hauler.
Sponsored