Sponsored

6G Bronco Diesel Team

Group for folks who recognize the superiority of compression ignition and are interested in or determined to diesel swap their 6G Bronco. Let's put our heads together and figure out how to do this.
TeocaliMG
These are the 3 concepts I envision for a possible swap. Without being a mechatronics expert myself, I cant say that all are equally possible.

Option A:
Pros: Leaving the OEM PCM may prove easier to integrate all the OE cluster diagnoses and relationships. The PCM and TCM can stay paired and happy, so long as the Donor Motor is doing its job, and key signals are shared (translated) like engine RPM, fuel consumption, throttle input etc.

Cons: Without knowing better, it may still require the same or similar amount of custom SW to operate as option B. Also more cluttered/messy.
1713362964880-de.png

Option B:
Pros: cleaner set up than option A. If the translator can be set up to facilitate "direct" connection between the Donor PCM and vehicle, it may be easier to integrate and tune. I think this is how professional shops would attempt a swap if it were possible at all.

Cons: not clear if a translator could be made to satisfy all vehicle signal inputs/outputs.
1713363018362-oc.png

Option C:
Pros: Less hardware than options A and B, everything handled via SW integration

Cons: Requires either OEM SW support, or a donor motor with aftermarket PCM with the ability to accept custom calibration. Limited Donor motor options with custom PCM (can really only think of Banks Power)

1713363053306-pe.png
Show full message
TeocaliMG
TeocaliMG
I will add that i've stated multiple times that i'm not a huge fan of the 3.0 powerstroke, but most of that is based on its legacy in the F-150.

I'm aware that the Aussie version has many changes, some of which may be a boon for its reliability. Also considering I want to delete the EGR anyway, that takes care of the reliability. EGR was a huge issue for the 3.0. Its BSFC is still worse than the 6.7, and probably the 1VD, but the power to weight is pretty good.

Until recently, I was not sure how to acquire the Aussie version though, but while researching the 1VD, i've figured out how to acquire a new version of either. (as well as the 1GD) so those 3 are all on the table for me as I try to figure out the best way to integrate the electronics.
TeocaliMG
Engine Candidates i've documented:
6.7 included to humble the other options, and Cummins nick named Chummins because its made in China with a reputation to match.

1713288795636-4b.png

3.0 Duramax is the best match on paper, but electronics may be insurmountable.
3.0 Powerstroke may be the easiest to integrate electronically, but is not really an excellent engine.
1GD and 1VD are modern Toyota diesels with great reputations. I assume harder to integrate than the Powerstroke, but easier than the GM?
Show full message
TeocaliMG
Hey guys, I've opened an official group to kick off the formal investigation into diesel swapping our Broncos.

I think most of us can figure out the mechanical aspects of fitment and fabrication. The real key to this problem is the CAN communications. Getting support from folks with experience in modern automotive SW/calibration will be crucial for pulling this off. If you know em, invite em!

If you want to catch up on some of what has already been discussed check out this thread: Diesel engine swap options? | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

If you are new to the group, or just checking it out, and wondering why on earth someone would swap in a diesel over a gas v8, I have summarized a few key advantages below. Also, note that there are diesel v8's and some of them aren't the giant domestic 6+ liter variety either, but options are admittedly limited.

1: Efficiency. Efficiency is more power for less. Its not just about fuel economy, and saving a bit a the pump. Often that’s a wash with the fuel cost anyway. Its more about range, being able to squeeze more out of your tank because your engine is squeezing more out of every injection. Who wants to pay money to throw heat out the exhaust for nothing…

2: Performance. Gas engines certainly have the reputation of performance, but consider EV's. EV's deliver power immediately and have created a name for themselves in the performance world doing just that. On the line between EV and gas, in terms of power delivery, diesel sits somewhere in between. A diesel engine making the same power as a gas engine will often do so at half the RPM. That’s delivery you can feel. Often though, gas engines make more power regardless, consider the 2.3 ecoboost. It makes a peak of 275 hp, but that’s at 5500 rpm, how often have you had your 2.3 at 5500 rpm? At 3000 rpm that peak power drops to 150, and at 2500 rpm that peak power drops to 75. The 3.0 powerstroke is pretty unremarkable, down on peak power (only 250) yet it makes over 200 at 2500 rpm. How often are you at 2500 rpm? Every shift. If you are in a race car, sure you live at 5000 rpm. But if you want to feel power with sane everyday driving, diesel is where it's at.

3: Capability. This is a bit of a sum of the first two. Better power delivery at low RPM, means the ability to crawl slower and steadier without stalling. Efficiency means you can drastically increase your parasitic load, whether that’s big tires, lifts, cargo, or towing, with much less penalty to your range or wallet than with a gas motor. Also the power delivery will be more than adequate to romp around in the dunes at high speed.

4: Reliability. Its no secret that modern diesels don’t have the reputation of those of yesteryear. But most of those issues are tied to the emissions equipment (EGR/DPF etc.). Considering it will be next to impossible to get emissions systems to work in harmony with the Bronco, it should be assumed that any swap will be "deleted". On that assumption the odds of making it to 500k miles is considerably better than a modern boosted gas motor.
Show full message

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views