Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So who with any non sasquatch wants my stock BL 285's(33's) the day it comes home? Will prob still have the little nipples on the tires. Exactly like Zack I will be immediately going to the slightly taller 285/75 combo on the stock BL wheels. I want the height but not the width of the SAS/315.
That's what I'm doing! Ordered a Ranger Tremor for the wife. Hoping the bronco comes first so I can put the 33's on her tremor. Bought 285/75R17 Toyo AT3's for my Bronco!

DenverBronc

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I too have been eyeing putting 285/75r17 tires on my automatic 4-door Badlands. Based on everything I've read on this forum and elsewhere, it sounds like the 4.46 gearing that comes with the automatic transmission will be plenty for that sized tire, and should even be adequate for 35s.

Hypothetical question: If you were going with an automatic 4-door Badlands and never planned to go bigger than 285/75r17 for your tires, is there any rational reason to still go ahead and spring for the SAS package? Mechanically speaking, is either of the 4.46 or 4.7 gearing more efficient when running 285/75r17's long term, or is it pretty much a wash? Tiresize.com gives an effective gear ratio of 4.77 and recommended new gear ratio of 4.63 when dropping from stock SAS tires to 285/75r17s, and it shows an effective gear ratio of 4.31 and a recommended new gear ratio of 4.61 when starting with the stock tires and going to 285/75r17s. That spells wash to me but I am curious if there are any gear heads out there who would beg to differ.

I recognize going with SAS would give you the flexibility to seamlessly switch back to 315/70r17's or go to something bigger like 37's in the future without the need to re-gear, which would obviously be a plus, but I'd like to know whether there are any additional disadvantages aside from price that would potentially outweigh that flexibility when 285/75r17 is the size you're really shooting for. The SAS fender flares would probably look even goofier with the 285/75r17's so you'd have to find a happy medium there.

Perhaps you can tell, but I've given more thought to this question than I care to admit. :unsure:

Last edited:

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I too have been eyeing putting 285/75r17 tires on my automatic 4-door Badlands. Based on everything I've read on this forum and elsewhere, it sounds like the 4.46 gearing that comes with the automatic transmission will be plenty for that sized tire, and should even be adequate for 35s.

Hypothetical question: If you were going with an automatic 4-door Badlands and never planned to go bigger than 285/75r17 for your tires, is there any rational reason to still go ahead and spring for the SAS package? Mechanically speaking, is either of the 4.46 or 4.7 gearing more efficient when running 285/75r17's long term, or is it pretty much a wash? Tiresize.com gives an effective gear ratio of 4.77 and recommended new gear ratio of 4.63 when dropping from stock SAS tires to 285/75r17s, and it shows an effective gear ratio of 4.31 and a recommended new gear ratio of 4.61 when starting with the stock tires and going to 285/75r17s. That spells wash to me but I am curious if there are any gear heads out there who would beg to differ.

I recognize going with SAS would give you the flexibility to seamlessly switch back to 315/70r17's or go to something bigger like 37's in the future without the need to re-gear, which would obviously be a plus, but I'd like to know whether there are any additional disadvantages aside from price that would potentially outweigh that flexibility when 285/75r17 is the size you're really shooting for. The SAS fender flares would probably look even goofier with the 285/75r17's so you'd have to find a happy medium there.

Perhaps you can tell, but I've given more thought to this question than I care to admit. :unsure:
Well if you opt for SAS you’re paying for those 315s so yea dealer can downgrade it to 285s but there wont be a diff in price. I doubt fenders will look that bad with 285s. 285s might be a little better on engine efficiency and less strain. Just a hair maybe

Sponsored

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Initially it was stated SAS to get 4.7. No one mentioned transmission. Therefore I was correct no SAS standard 4.7. If you then opt for auto, THEN you must get SAS

so fact is 4.7 is standard on BL. You have to opt auto to be downgraded. Then upgrade to SAS to get it. Clarified enough? 👌🏻
I’m the one who clarified for you. You thought it had something to do with the mid package.

What makes discussions on this forum tricky is a lot of people come into the conversation assuming that everyone else is assuming the same build starting point. If someone is debating the merits on a Badlands of Sasquatch, automatic transmission might be a good place to start assuming their build. So 4.46 -> 4.7 is a noteworthy difference. Manual transmission information likely has very little to do with this conversation.

If you want to keep everything clear, like I do, mention all 3 configurations and the gearing for each, like I did. It helps people coming to the thread understand actual facts and presents a clearer picture for all.

Additionally, instead of liking my post for providing clarification, you decided to reply with an “I’m technically correct” type of response. Thanks I guess...

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I am in the same boat, essentially doing this gets you around that 4.27 gear ratio, which can only lower the RPM at highway speed. Otherwise I highly doubt the "gearing" won't be adequate enough for my casual off-roading. Just being realistic.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m the one who clarified for you. You thought it had something to do with the mid package.

What makes discussions on this forum tricky is a lot of people come into the conversation assuming that everyone else is assuming the same build starting point. If someone is debating the merits on a Badlands of Sasquatch, automatic transmission might be a good place to start assuming their build. So 4.46 -> 4.7 is a noteworthy difference. Manual transmission information likely has very little to do with this conversation.

If you want to keep everything clear, like I do, mention all 3 configurations and the gearing for each, like I did. It helps people coming to the thread understand actual facts and presents a clearer picture for all.

Additionally, instead of liking my post for providing clarification, you decided to reply with an “I’m technically correct” type of response. Thanks I guess...
Just search a couple of his posts ...

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No.

Sponsored

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Captain insaneo stated SAS for 4.7. Never stated a tranny. I said nope 4.7 on badlands. Then out the wood works slush box fanbois come to attack...🙄

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There definitely seems to be two types of bronco folks when it comes to SASQUATCH OR NO : Classic lovers who tend to be minimalists and maximalists who prefer a more aggressive stance. The former would never be happy with Sasquatch and the latter wouldn't buy without. Nice to have choices.
I think there's a third type: I want the 7MT, and don't want to wait for '22 for Mansquatch, so '21 BL Sans-squatch for me, and I get to pick aftermarket wheels and tires down the road.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Captain insaneo stated SAS for 4.7. Never stated a tranny. I said nope 4.7 on badlands. Then out the wood works slush box fanbois come to attack...🙄
Once again only commenting on a part of the picture. Auto non-Sas to Sas goes from 4.46 to 4.7 and is a relevant speaking point. Consider the context when making your replies. When discussing Sasquatch, assuming automatic transmission is prudent unless specifically future offerings like MY22 Manual Sasquatch is mentioned.

It’s funny, you rag on automatics with the slush box comments but call someone a tool when they tell you to enjoy your Chinese made manual. Can’t take the heat when it’s directed at you?! :ROFLMAO:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think there's a third type: I want the 7MT, and don't want to wait for '22 for Mansquatch, so '21 BL Sans-squatch for me, and I get to pick aftermarket wheels and tires down the road.
Eloquent. Simple. Brilliant.

Truly beautiful in its execution.

Well done, sir.
Sponsored