First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Its been a minute since I've posted anything regarding our Bronco build, and in light of recent events I feel now is an appropriate time for an update.

Right before Christmas we received the first set of portals from 74Weld and got right on the install. We did things a little different than everyone else running portals and re-geared the Bronco M210 and M220 axles to 4.10, to give us a final drive of 5.0 which I feel is a solid fit for the 38" Trail Grapplers we are running. We paired those with +25 offset Raceline and with the ADV 2" glass, I can say its pretty perfect for me.

We changed the wheel studs out to better match the thickness of the Raceline's but other than that, everything went smooth. We've had some seal issues with dirt getting in between the axle shaft and seal (yes we offroad it so things like this happen) but they guys at 74Weld were quick to come up with a solution that should be here soon. Other than that, these portals have been absolutely perfect. In March I managed to log over 1200 miles of intense off-roading in Baja without any issue. One of the things I changed going to the portals was switching to the Hoss3 shocks which I have to admit, impressed me in Baja. I'll admit I didn't think they would be able to keep up down there, but they were pretty damn good. Still think an "active valve" shock would be best, but didn't want to lift the Bronco bay with this initial setup.

One of the other mods we made was the Rock Krawler Pro-X triangulation kit in the rear. I can't say enough good things about this setup. It eliminated so much sway in the back end of the vehicle, and I really feel you guys will benefit from this upgrade. If you do then I highly recommend you get a rear sway bar, if yours doesnt have one. I noticed a couple of times in Baja when we were on paved roads that the rear would start swaying and traction control would kick in. Not a fun experience when you're doing 90mph and not expecting it. So, for sure look into this but know you will want to add a sway bar. I imagine that the track bar was imposing just enough bind that it was preventing this from happening before. Oh, and when it would kick in the alert on the cluster would say "trailer sway detected" lol. That was a new one for me.

All in all, the Bronco continues to impress me. The addition of the portals only makes it better in my opinion and I'm still blown away with how much more capable it is with them. To think that you can basically take a stock Bronco, bolt these on, and then run 38's across 1200 miles of some of the most amazing terrain we have access to and have no issues whatsoever. Thats hard to beat. Please feel free to ask questions about any of this. I do have pics and video from Baja but I'm waiting on the commercial use to get cleared by the media crew before I can share them.

Oh and I know this doesn't have to be said but I'll say it: ZERO noise is coming from these straight cut gears.

Cheers!

brr rayo day 4-218.JPG
Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for this awesome information!

I’m just waiting for the Chinese knockoffs of the 74 Welds. Just kidding!

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Its been a minute since I've posted anything regarding our Bronco build, and in light of recent events I feel now is an appropriate time for an update.

Right before Christmas we received the first set of portals from 74Weld and got right on the install. We did things a little different than everyone else running portals and re-geared the Bronco M210 and M220 axles to 4.10, to give us a final drive of 5.0 which I feel is a solid fit for the 38" Trail Grapplers we are running. We paired those with +25 offset Raceline and with the ADV 2" glass, I can say its pretty perfect for me.

We changed the wheel studs out to better match the thickness of the Raceline's but other than that, everything went smooth. We've had some seal issues with dirt getting in between the axle shaft and seal (yes we offroad it so things like this happen) but they guys at 74Weld were quick to come up with a solution that should be here soon. Other than that, these portals have been absolutely perfect. In March I managed to log over 1200 miles of intense off-roading in Baja without any issue. One of the things I changed going to the portals was switching to the Hoss3 shocks which I have to admit, impressed me in Baja. I'll admit I didn't think they would be able to keep up down there, but they were pretty damn good. Still think an "active valve" shock would be best, but didn't want to lift the Bronco bay with this initial setup.

One of the other mods we made was the Rock Krawler Pro-X triangulation kit in the rear. I can't say enough good things about this setup. It eliminated so much sway in the back end of the vehicle, and I really feel you guys will benefit from this upgrade. If you do then I highly recommend you get a rear sway bar, if yours doesnt have one. I noticed a couple of times in Baja when we were on paved roads that the rear would start swaying and traction control would kick in. Not a fun experience when you're doing 90mph and not expecting it. So, for sure look into this but know you will want to add a sway bar. I imagine that the track bar was imposing just enough bind that it was preventing this from happening before. Oh, and when it would kick in the alert on the cluster would say "trailer sway detected" lol. That was a new one for me.

All in all, the Bronco continues to impress me. The addition of the portals only makes it better in my opinion and I'm still blown away with how much more capable it is with them. To think that you can basically take a stock Bronco, bolt these on, and then run 38's across 1200 miles of some of the most amazing terrain we have access to and have no issues whatsoever. Thats hard to beat. Please feel free to ask questions about any of this. I do have pics and video from Baja but I'm waiting on the commercial use to get cleared by the media crew before I can share them.

Oh and I know this doesn't have to be said but I'll say it: ZERO noise is coming from these straight cut gears.

Cheers!

Ford Bronco Portals and Pro-X update brr rayo day 4-218.JPG
Thank you... My experience has been very similar as far as the portals go. I have not logged nearly as many miles but I did not receive mine until the February and I work a full time job that is outside the industry. I do not get a lot of opportunity. But so far, freaking awesome!!!!!

I will be watching that triangulated 4 link.... Right now I still need to install my crawler series 5 link. I did go with some Accutune Kings and am giddy with the results. wash boards ruts, pot holes speed bumps almost do not exist any more... I have NEVER ridden in anything off road that road so smooth and controlled. I am a slow trail guy though... I think the top speed I have hit off road is about 60. most of my time is 30 and under.

I probably should have gone with the 38s... but I went with 40s as much for show as for the trails. I have had to do a little trimming and have a little more to do. Not much mind you but some trimming is required.

I guess I am trying to second everything you have said.... Just one more opinion.... and I think there are several others on here that will report the same. I think out of the first 10 sets going to the public orders 7 are reporting on here.... I have NOT heard a single complaint. Only praise.

DYak

Big Bend
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend Baby
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Very cool build, thanks for the report. What is the deal with the Hoss3 shocks,are they a Ford Performance part?

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would assume that the triangulated 4 link has a drastically different roll center. If the uppers and lowers are close to parallel it could drop the roll center quite low. With a lowered roll center and a raised CoG from the portals and lift the roll moment gets quite large. It makes sense that you need to add some additional roll stiffness to the rear to keep everything under control.

Sponsored

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cheers!

brr rayo day 4-218.JPG
I’ve been eyeing that Rock Krawler ProX for the last month but great to hear the feedback. Something possible in my long term plans :)

OP
OP
Exodus4x4

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Very cool build, thanks for the report. What is the deal with the Hoss3 shocks,are they a Ford Performance part?
Take offs from a ‘23 Wildtrak we built. So for all intents and purposes wildtrak suspension and portals. I believe this is the recipe for a great ride with the portals without creating any lift.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Exodus4x4

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would assume that the triangulated 4 link has a drastically different roll center. If the uppers and lowers are close to parallel it could drop the roll center quite low. With a lowered roll center and a raised CoG from the portals and lift the roll moment gets quite large. It makes sense that you need to add some additional roll stiffness to the rear to keep everything under control.
You’re dead on.

EvanPeterson

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base

Cheers!

Ford Bronco Portals and Pro-X update brr rayo day 4-218.JPG
welcome back!!!

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Curious about this 4 link rear. how to keep the rotational forces at bay (Moments generated by offset of CG and roll center). ? Also reaction forces that are now carried by the links? And forces at frame mounts? Looks like the upper links are bent to accommodate the oem frame mounts but then they will induce bending in the link when resisting lateral loads. As opposed to a straight link which can be much stiffer. Is a rear sway bar the only load path that will help with these rotational forces?

not trying to be an ass, just curious about the details and consequences. Maybe the rotational forces are not that large with the roll center pushed up a bit. But we’re always fighting the increased CG due to bigger and bigger lift. 🤷‍♂️ haven’t done any detailed look into this but curious about your thoughts on this.

DD467DE3-949F-480D-AB3D-554166A64FC1.jpeg

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Cheers!

Ford Bronco Portals and Pro-X update DD467DE3-949F-480D-AB3D-554166A64FC1
What wheel studs did you use? I would like to change to some longer ones as well!
Sponsored