Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is US forest service land the same as national forest?
requires a permit to drive on?
Requires a license plate on the front?
Sponsored

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The two things you listed are the same thing, but I think what you're really asking is the difference between National Forests, and National Parks... Which is a Square and Rectangle question...

National Parks are on National Forest Land, but National Forest Land isn't necessarily a National Park.

https://www.nationalforests.org/blo...s-between-national-parks-and-national-forests

You need to check the trail you want to run to find out what it is, "Forest Service Roads" are generally maintained roads that you can drive on as long as your vehicle meets all the normal road use requirements. OHV trails are controlled by the ranger district they are in, and will generally require a permit, but not necessarily road legal transport.

Start here, and drill down to find the district for the trail you want to wheel, it should have all the info and rules for where you want to go;

https://www.fs.usda.gov/

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There is usually a USFS branch office or ranger station near where the trailheads are - they are usually very helpful, hand out free maps, know the conditions of all the trails, and can get you straight if you need any permits.

National Parks usually are much more strict and limited than National Forests

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I couldn't tell you precisely the answer, but the US Forest Service a department of gov't that manages US-owned land like national parks and forests. A National Forest is a designation for land use (like park, forest, monument, grassland).

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I couldn't tell you precisely the answer, but the US Forest Service a department of gov't that manages US-owned land like national parks and forests. A National Forest is a designation for land use (like park, forest, monument, grassland).
This is true.

If it's public land and it's a range/desert, it's probably BLM (under Dept of Interior). There isn't a lot of BLM land out east - this is mostly out west.

If it's public land and it's a forest, it's probably USFS (under Dept of Agriculture)

All National Parks roll up under National Park Service (NPS), under Dept of Interior.

There are several National Parks located inside of USFS land out where we live, so we get to see both ranger stations all over the place. The biggest difference - you can get logging permits for USFS land to go cut firewood, and you can go take your rifle target shooting and hunting, but cross the line into NPS-managed land and you'll end up in jail in a hurry.

This link talks a lot about the various things managed by Dept of Interior - so basically everything except National Forests

https://www.doi.gov/blog/americas-public-lands-explained

Sponsored

bjpatten

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is US forest service land the same as national forest?
requires a permit to drive on?
Requires a license plate on the front?
You don't need front license plates in the National Park. Law enforcement there will not site you for that. BLM land either. As long as you are on trail and not venturing off it then you are fine. Signs should be posted. I work at Zion National Park.

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don't need front license plates in the National Park. Law enforcement there will not site you for that. BLM land either. As long as you are on trail and not venturing off it then you are fine. Signs should be posted. I work at Zion National Park.
Basically, federal rangers are not going to enforce state laws on federal land. You're still subject to state law but it's up to the state to enforce those laws (except in particular national parks where the state has ceded all law enforcement authority to the feds).

State and county law enforcement may still patrol on most federal lands (mainly Forest Service and BLM), but if you're in a place open to vehicles that are not street legal then I don't see them citing you for not being street legal.

I've run into state or county law enforcement a couple of times while on federal land. Fish and Game was looking for poachers and a sheriff's deputy asked me if I was OK (CA plates on a small car on a remote dirt road in NV). Yeah, I was OK - I was having a blast exploring remote areas.

Permits for trails get mentioned on this forum from time to time. Those only apply to certain popular trails where entry is rationed to avoid overcrowding and natural resource damage. The same is true for some popular hiking trails, river runs, and entire parks like Yosemite. Overcrowding sucks.

Normally you get off pavement and you just go where you want to on trails open to use. Limited areas like Johnson Valley in CA allow unlimited off-road travel. Otherwise, stay on the trail and don't drive on closed routes.
Sponsored