Sponsored

Weighing the pros and cons of a midsize

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Hey folks! I’m still sitting a bit on the fence as to whether to pull a trigger on one of these or not. What’s killing me is the payload and tiny fuel tank. (live in CA so I couldn’t install a long range tank or anything down the line cus of smog regulations unfortunately)

the TH is 78 in wide. As a comparison an f150 is 80 in wide. A DC long bed in that trim with the bumper is about 227-228 in long. An f150 is 232in long. I think the Tundra’s dimensions are about the same as an F150. It’s wild to me how CLOSE in size these things are now ya know? The bloat of midsize trucks is insane but here we are lol. I think first gen tacos were less than 70 inches wide. Anyway.

I was hoping the TH would have better payload numbers but the stickers on the ones at the drive event were around 1215-1230. I realize that’s with armor and the bumpers and the sunroof etc but dang that’s not really enough if you wanna put a 300-400lb camper on the back and actually build out something while carrying 1-3 people ya know? I’m worried about possibly going over payload. Don’t want to tempt the insurance gods or break anything cus of overloading.

My question for you guys is…. What made you go midsize over full size?

Particularly if you have a long bed I’m curious as to your reasoning. (I love the look of the SB and the allure of easier parking/shorter wheelbase when going down FS roads and needing to turn around but I need a bit more space for work tools and gak during the week)

TIA 🤙
Sponsored

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco OR Premium
I wanted a truck that could fit in parking lots and my garage. I'm in Texas, there are pickup trucks all over the place; unless you're the size of a toothpick you can't park 3 full sized trucks/suburbans next to each other and expect to open the door to get in or get out. My Tacoma barely fits length wise in my garage, but it fits. And then there's the price.. a 2024 F-150 spec'd almost the same as a TRD OR Premium costs more than 12k more... and that's just the XLT, FX4 w/ electronic rear lockers with the XLT high package. I also don't like that every 2 or 3 years Ford makes a small change to the exterior of the truck, making you always want to upgrade

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I wanted a truck that could fit in parking lots and my garage. I'm in Texas, there are pickup trucks all over the place; unless you're the size of a toothpick you can't park 3 full sized trucks/suburbans next to each other and expect to open the door to get in or get out. My Tacoma barely fits length wise in my garage, but it fits. And then there's the price.. a 2024 F-150 spec'd almost the same as a TRD OR Premium costs more than 12k more... and that's just the XLT, FX4 w/ electronic rear lockers with the XLT high package. I also don't like that every 2 or 3 years Ford makes a small change to the exterior of the truck, making you always want to upgrade
Oh man yeah the price jump from midsize to full size is deff a thing for the comparable features. With inflation and everything it makes me wish I bought a truck six years ago lol.

I don’t think a dclb would fit in my garage sadly — but I live in an older building so that garage was built when vehicles were typically smaller. More space for my work bench and tools though :)

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I’m more or less done my kid phase (hauling kids, trailer, boat ect). Wanted something smaller but still wanted a truck for doing truck things.

Midsized truck class has some awsome vehicles now. Perfect for what I need. If you are still in kid phase or hauling a big trailer get a full size.

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I’m more or less done my kid phase (hauling kids, trailer, boat ect). Wanted something smaller but still wanted a truck for doing truck things.

Midsized truck class has some awsome vehicles now. Perfect for what I need. If you are still in kid phase or hauling a big trailer get a full size.
I don’t tow or have kids atm — which makes a midsize still viable option. Realistically i need about 1350 in payload to do my thing and carry 1x passenger with me. If I’m alone with my dog payload isn’t really an issue but yeah. I wish that 1400 number they published for the TH was real… it drives me nuts that brochure stuff never matches!

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
TH is a mini tundra. I’m okay with that size; I’m okay with the payload, I’m not an extreme overlander, hell I’ll probably run stock 33s until the wear indicators. If my dealer tries to work in an ADM on my TH deposit I’d consider looking at Tundras OR/Pro as I still need a 6’ bed. TH is the last truck I’ll own, I’m in my 40s, ~5-10 yrs left of building homes, another 7-10 years of rugged adventures while the in laws are in town, need a worthy rig for surf & winter storm chases, and then I’ll probably just drive a 4Runner Pro or Sequioa (we foster/rescue Great Danes) 🌅

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
TH is a mini tundra. I’m okay with that size; I’m okay with the payload, I’m not an extreme overlander, hell I’ll probably run stock 33s until the wear indicators. If my dealer tries to work in an ADM on my TH deposit I’d consider looking at Tundras OR/Pro as I still need a 6’ bed. TH is the last truck I’ll own, I’m in my 40s, ~5-10 yrs left of building homes, another 7-10 years of rugged adventures while the in laws are in town, need a worthy rig for surf & winter storm chases, and then I’ll probably just drive a 4Runner Pro or Sequioa (we foster/rescue Great Danes) 🌅
One of my neighbors has Great Dane. He’s such a goof — I adore that dog :)

I hope your dealer doesn’t try to pull any ish on you!

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
One of my neighbors has Great Dane. He’s such a goof — I adore that dog :)

I hope your dealer doesn’t try to pull any ish on you!
Yea those dogs are a handful! The shelters can’t adequately take them in, so the rescue group networks are essential. Still trying to convince the wife if I do a rear 60 seat delete I’ll be able to fit our 140lb baby in the back of the TH comfortably - even tho he doesn’t like to travel long distances!

2024 Tacoma Weighing the pros and cons of a midsize IMG_4490

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
You need to go full size. If you went with a TH you would probably be close to the margins if not over depending on weight your hauling. Full-size you won't have that problem plus room to spare.

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
You need to go full size. If you went with a TH you would probably be close to the margins if not over depending on weight your hauling. Full-size you won't have that problem plus room to spare.
Yeah that makes sense. I feel like driving any vehicle close to or right at its payload cap full time is probably not …. great… for wear and tear on all its components.

The price is a factor too. I live where it’s hot AF so I need to find something with vented seats. My butt is tired of summer suffering lol. But that’ll make finding a full size with that even used priceyyyyy

day to day for work I’d be fine for TH payload but when I’d put water, food, another human in there with me to go out on weekends I’d likely be 100-200lbs over the sticker number. :/

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I wonder how much that steel arb headache rack weighs and if it’s factored into the stickered payload since it’s standard equipment. I suspect it is? But that thing can’t be more than 50lbs I imagine?

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
Ram is going to be giving their trucks away soon. They have 22, 23, 24 and soon 25s in inventory and they're not selling. IMO, any "american" truck is a 3-5 yr vehicle. After that, they're a potential money pit. I believe having less truck than you usually need will work in your favor. This coming from someone who always bought the big assed trucks with every option available....and ended up using them to about 25% capacity over the long term.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
What's the actual payload number on these? Haven't been able to find exact numbers for the TRD Pro, I'd love to use it to haul my ATV but I'm also concerned about exceeding the limit, I've seen limit of like 1000lb but not sure if that's correct. ATV is 600lbs stock, throw in some fatter tires, and other accessories and I'm probably pushing 700. Then add myself and the gf, getting now to 1000 lbs. If I take camping gear or anything else I'm seemingly at the limit already. Def need to get some accurate numbers to see how I'll manage.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
I was hoping the TH would have better payload numbers but the stickers on the ones at the drive event were around 1215-1230.
The door stickers seem artificially low for some reason. They certainly don't match GVWR - Curb weight. The hybrid TRD OR hybrid has like a 1685lb payload according to the website, and that aligns better with the GVWR - Curb. But I won't be surprised if it arrives with a 1200-1300lb payload sticker 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, for me personally I have a 2007 Avalanche now which is technically a full size truck, but when I sit in a new Tundra or F150, they feel huuuuge by comparison. I'm going midsize for a few reasons:
- it will primarily be my commuter and it gets better mileage than a full-size
- again, since I'll be driving it to work, I want something that's a bit easier to park
- Similarly equipped Tundra is about $12kCAD more
- I want to get more into off roading and full size might limit me from a few trails
- easier to fit in my garage
- Slightly smaller components make maintenance a little bit easier (lighter)
- if I get something with a 10,000lb tow rating, my wife will immediately find a 40' camper 😂
Sponsored