Transmission downshifting and missing a gear

Aviatordoc

Wildtrak
First Name
Mani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrack, MB SL500, Vans Aircraft RV10.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hi all, I was on a long trip, 8 hr drive to VA and well into the trip, whenever i let off the throttle and decelerated to coast, it appeared that the transmission downshifted and missed a gear. Sudden lurch like it missed a couple of gears down. Happened over and over again. Does this make sense?
I appears only while on a longish ride, but does not happen on daily drive to the office or back.
Any intel? I am going to call my dealer and make an appointment to check it out, but dont know how to describe it best.
Sponsored

Nc211

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLS450 (2020) / OBX Dual Top 2.7 (2024)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did see in my endless YouTube video research / daydreaming that one of the reviewers mentioned how this 10 speed transmission has the ability to hop over gears so it's not just constantly shifting. Instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and backwards in that order, it can go like 1,3,5,8,10 etc...

Rob_Broncowski

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX, Ducati Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How many miles do you have on your Bronco? I used to have something very similar happen when I was coasting to a stop. It felt like a bad shift and it clunked pretty badly. In my case it only happened a handful of times early on in my ownership and it hasn't happened again since then. I chalked it up to a quirk in the learning phase of the transmission. It's almost like it's is uncertain what gear to select and it drops to one that is too low for the speed.

markp5

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone have a similar experience after installing the Procal tune at 3,500 miles?

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine was a little chunky going into first a few times when new. Hasn't done it in years.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc

Wildtrak
First Name
Mani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrack, MB SL500, Vans Aircraft RV10.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have 12K miles on it. Uneventful so far, hence my question here rather than running to the dealership all worked up.
Thanks for the reassurance.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi all, I was on a long trip, 8 hr drive to VA and well into the trip, whenever i let off the throttle and decelerated to coast, it appeared that the transmission downshifted and missed a gear. Sudden lurch like it missed a couple of gears down. Happened over and over again. Does this make sense?
I appears only while on a longish ride, but does not happen on daily drive to the office or back.
Any intel? I am going to call my dealer and make an appointment to check it out, but dont know how to describe it best.
Hi there! If you'd like to, go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and dealer info and I’ll look into this downshifting concern. Thanks!
Sponsored