Sponsored

Tacoma Composite Bed is slippery. Bed mat / bed liner / spray in bed liner?

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Hello there.

I have heard from a few people (including the salesman at the dealership) that the Tacoma composite bed is super slippery. Especially when wet.

I haven’t received mine yet but I’m thinking of adding a bed mat or a spray in liner on the bed (not the sides) just for increased friction so cargo doesn’t fly around as much.

Looking for some opinions and to see what others have done. I had a Line X spray in liner on my 2011 F150 and it worked great. I have also seen do it yourself roll/spray on liners. I have no experience with bed mats.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

SnowmanJPS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback XT (24 Pro on order)
i just had an old piece of conveyor belt cut for the back of mine, weighed a ton but worked for what i needed, i didnt have any issues slipping in my 2nd or 3rd gen tho

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
I find the composite bed to be super slippery. Just the other day I had 3 bags of horse feed in the back and under gentle braking they ended up at the front of the bed. I've had the Toyota bed mat in my 20 OR and 22 Sport. I'm waiting on the OEM one to become available. Some have used a Horse stall mat cut to size or as Snowman said a piece of conveyor belt.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
Spray in bed liner may work as well. But I've heard that sometimes it does not adhere well to the composite.

OP
OP

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Did you guys have any issues with mold or mildew underneath the mats?

Was it easy to clean? I.e. just spray it out and let it dry. Or do you have to remove it to clean the bed?

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
It is indeed slippery as a composite bed. Mine came with the spray in bed liner which does add traction to the bed. I also added the bed mat for protect the bed. The spray in bed liner, which I wanted, is a $575 option from Toyota which I am sure you can get done cheaper. I paid $135 for the bed mat which I ordered onlne and picked up locally from a Toyota dealer. If I could only have one, the bed mat would be my choice. I have had a mat in past Tacomas and every 6 months or so I would remove it and sray the bed and mat well and let them dry.

2024 Tacoma Tacoma Composite Bed is slippery. Bed mat / bed liner / spray in bed liner? 2024 Taco Bed mat

Last edited:

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
It's quite slippery. IMO, the bed mat is the way to go because then you can remove it when you want slippery. For example, I pick up 10 bags of mulch... nice to take the mat out first then when you're unloading, you can drag the bags to the back easily.

OP
OP

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I will say I appreciate the input. This is a great site for things like this.

Think the bed mat is the way I’m going to go.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Did you guys have any issues with mold or mildew underneath the mats?

Was it easy to clean? I.e. just spray it out and let it dry. Or do you have to remove it to clean the bed?
Been using the EOM mats for over a decade and no issues living in a fairly humid area. The mat is flat on the bottom and very thick/stiff so it lays across the ridges in the bed rather than molding to them. This make it so there are channels under the mat for water to drain and air to pass through to let it dry. If I've been hauling a lot of dirty things like mulch or other landscaping material, I usually pull it out and spray out the bed and spray down both sides of the mat and let it all dry before I throw it back in but rare that I need to do this because I also keep a tonneau cover on it most of the time.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Factory bed mat works great. Clean it ever so often. My Tundra 18x9 full-size spare does not move with the bed mat.

2024 Tacoma Tacoma Composite Bed is slippery. Bed mat / bed liner / spray in bed liner? thumbnail_20240415_044910

2024 Tacoma Tacoma Composite Bed is slippery. Bed mat / bed liner / spray in bed liner? thumbnail_20240424_162926

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Factory bed mats are pretty great! I’ve heard great things about bedrug too though I have no personal experience with them/im not sure if bedrug has stuff for the 24’s yet

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
It is indeed slippery as a composite bed. Mine came with the spray in bed liner which does add traction to the bed. I also added the bed mat for protect the bed. The spray in bed liner, which I wanted, is a $575 option from Toyota which I am sure you can get done cheaper. I paid $135 for the bed mat which I ordered onlne and picked up locally from a Toyota dealer. If I could only have one, the bed mat would be my choice. I have had a mat in past Tacomas and every 6 months or so I would remove it and sray the bed and mat well and let them dry.

2024 Taco Bed mat.jpg

Can you provide a link and part number? The one I see on the Toyota site is $170.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Find a Toyota Dealer that does online business and pick up locally. Many dealers have different prices for online orders than they do for walk in orders. If I had walking in to my dealership it would ahve been 170 also but since I ordered online it was 135 and I did local pick up. Put the part number only into google and the dealerships that come up likely have a online ordering program. If any are local to you, you can pick it up there if shipping is too expensive.

Here is a video explaining it

Last edited:

Dbarron

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD offroad
The bed rug are great. I have had rubber mats and for the last 10 years I have had a bed rug in my gen2. I will get on for my new truck as soon as it gets here, btw they don’t have on for the 24 yet, I check last week
Sponsored