Sponsored

Replace console shifter with a column shifter?

KitRx

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey guys! Long-time lurker and first-time poster here.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to replace the stock console shifter with a column shifter? I'm a big fan of that form factor, since my first car was a '93 Bronco and it really made the car feel spacious.

Maybe bench seats would be interesting too. . . :idea:
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The column shifter is definitely possible, but I'm not aware of any existing solution for it.

The bench seat... that would be a big challenge due to the location of the transmission & transfer case. I know what you mean though, My father had bunch seats in his 1979(?) F-100, and I had bench seats on my 1989 Bronco and loved them.

OP
OP

KitRx

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Maybe something like the shifter in the newer F-150’s? It could be a fun challenge if it’s possible to swap that.

I’ll have to do some more research on all of the inner workings but I’ll update the thread if I find anything.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Subbed

not my cup of tea at all, but ain't mocking this either. More curious how the hell this'll go

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Having a bench seat was great when I was a teenager but having a shifter there are well was fun too! ;)

Sponsored

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe something like the shifter in the newer F-150’s? It could be a fun challenge if it’s possible to swap that.

I’ll have to do some more research on all of the inner workings but I’ll update the thread if I find anything.
That shifter only stows while in park.

OP
OP

KitRx

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That shifter only stows while in park.
My bad, I meant the shifter on the steering column like this
Ford Bronco Replace console shifter with a column shifter? IMG_1503

though the stowable shifter could be pretty cool too, giving a flat surface to use for whatever really. Maybe it’d be good for a sort of camper build?

Scoop

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badsquatch, '74, '76, & '78 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pretty sure this would not be doable without some serious engineering work and modifications. This would require replacing the entire steering column with one from a car or truck with a column shifter.

Not knocking your preference, but I have changed several Broncos (early Broncos and a 78) from column shift to floor shift because I much prefer a floor shifter. To each his/her own I guess!

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey guys! Long-time lurker and first-time poster here.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to replace the stock console shifter with a column shifter? I'm a big fan of that form factor, since my first car was a '93 Bronco and it really made the car feel spacious.

Maybe bench seats would be interesting too. . . :idea:
I've got the column shifter in our 21 F150.

Between that and the fact that the window switches on the bronco are in the center, I'm constantly mixing muscle memory between the vehicles.

Would be neat to see a Bronco with a column.

Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I lost my virginity to a cowgirl on a bench seat in. 390 XL Galaxy. I support this initiative

OP
OP

KitRx

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've got the column shifter in our 21 F150.

Between that and the fact that the window switches on the bronco are in the center, I'm constantly mixing muscle memory between the vehicles.

Would be neat to see a Bronco with a column.
Yeah, I've been driving my dad's F-150 recently which sparked the idea, it can get pretty confusing!

OP
OP

KitRx

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Pretty sure this would not be doable without some serious engineering work and modifications. This would require replacing the entire steering column with one from a car or truck with a column shifter.

Not knocking your preference, but I have changed several Broncos (early Broncos and a 78) from column shift to floor shift because I much prefer a floor shifter. To each his/her own I guess!
Yeah, looking at the diagrams it seems like it might be extremely difficult if not completely impossible without moving a ton of stuff around. I think it'd be more than just replacing the steering column. I'm still gonna keep looking into it, but it's not looking too good :headbang:
Sponsored