Sponsored

Rear Window Leak(Hardtop)- from wiper seal?

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've recently noticed a leak in the rear window that I'm struggling to figure out.

After rain- doesn't seem to matter how hard it is as long as its steady, when opening the rear hatch water drips down. Unfortunately its super annoying because it pours onto your back when you lean in. I haven't been able to pinpoint where the water is coming from. Its either pooling in the plastic wiper cover(box), or its accumulating in the plastic trim at the base of the of the window(the piece thats horizontal and forms a bit of a shelf when the hatch is closed).

From what I can tell the water is not leaking in from the top of the hatch glass. Theres no water visible running down the inside of the glass when it rains. This leads me to believe its coming through the seal on the wiper assembly.

Has anyone else experienced this, maybe found a fix if you have?
Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The fix is to take it to the dealer for warranty.....

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine leaks a lot. The rear seal droops down. I shove it back in place by pushing upwards and it mostly fixes it. Iā€™ll have Ford fix it when Iā€™m in for something else.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mine is doing the same. Iā€™ll run the rear wiper look back and still see a line of water.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've recently noticed a leak in the rear window that I'm struggling to figure out.

After rain- doesn't seem to matter how hard it is as long as its steady, when opening the rear hatch water drips down. Unfortunately its super annoying because it pours onto your back when you lean in. I haven't been able to pinpoint where the water is coming from. Its either pooling in the plastic wiper cover(box), or its accumulating in the plastic trim at the base of the of the window(the piece thats horizontal and forms a bit of a shelf when the hatch is closed).

From what I can tell the water is not leaking in from the top of the hatch glass. Theres no water visible running down the inside of the glass when it rains. This leads me to believe its coming through the seal on the wiper assembly.

Has anyone else experienced this, maybe found a fix if you have?
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JTK37

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

DWood

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine is doing the same. Iā€™ll run the rear wiper look back and still see a line of water.
Same issue here. Iā€™ve noticed it only occurs when the rear seal is dirty and a wipe with a damp paper towel seems to remedy it. However the lower plastic piece on the inside is conviently designed to collect water it seems which gives you a nice wake up when lifting the glass post downpour.

Big Poppa

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks Ford, I sent the info
Did they get this resolved for you? I noticed mine is doing the same thing after we had some extensive rains and curious what the resolution is. Thanks

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks Ford, I sent the info
Did they get this resolved for you? I noticed mine is doing the same thing after we had some extensive rains and curious what the resolution is. Thanks
I just had the pleasure of experiencing this... what was the outcome?

OP
OP
JTK37

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With Fordā€™s help the issue was resolved. Ford had asked good questions regarding the leaky rear glass- but in my case they had to facilitate the hard top replacement. Long story short my dealer never ordered the parts so it took months and months for it to be done.

While waiting for the replacement hard too I followed some advice I have received either in this thread or a different one. It seems that if the gasket gets covered with dust, salt, pine needles etc- any debris, it doesnā€™t seal properly and will leak.I cleaned it with a wet paper towel- surprised by the amount of grime that came out of it, and didnā€™t have it happen again.

thereā€™s a little lip almost like a gutter on the gasket- clear that out and the gasket can flex to make the seal. Should take care of it

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is this an actual leak into the vehicle, or just water pouring down when you open the glass?

Because I definitely get that second part with mine.

OP
OP
JTK37

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This was an actual ā€œleakā€, not the lift gate shower.
Full investigation showed water dripping down the inside of the glass- the wipers would clear the window and there were still drip lines on the inside.
Fixing it by cleaning the gasket is super simple and lasts until the gasket gets covered in dust/grime. So itā€™s conditions permitting for individuals.
My resolution just corresponded with the MIC 1.0 replacement.

TheOregonian

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With Fordā€™s help the issue was resolved. Ford had asked good questions regarding the leaky rear glass- but in my case they had to facilitate the hard top replacement. Long story short my dealer never ordered the parts so it took months and months for it to be done.

While waiting for the replacement hard too I followed some advice I have received either in this thread or a different one. It seems that if the gasket gets covered with dust, salt, pine needles etc- any debris, it doesnā€™t seal properly and will leak.I cleaned it with a wet paper towel- surprised by the amount of grime that came out of it, and didnā€™t have it happen again.

thereā€™s a little lip almost like a gutter on the gasket- clear that out and the gasket can flex to make the seal. Should take care of it
Great tip, thanks dude. Been noticing mine (<1 month!! šŸ˜­) do this and happened to have the same impulse moments ago getting out to now sit here having brunch. Hopefully itā€™ll be solved as easily.

dUbCO

Badlands
First Name
EA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Bad-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just noticed this on my new 2023ā€¦ inside the window I seen a small stream coming down from the top of the seal almost in the middle. It is noticeable after you use your rear wiper but doesnā€™t appear to have anything to do with the stream as you can see the stream while driving with or without the rear wiper engaged. I had some fine cinder dust on the seal from them rocking the roads. Cleaned and waiting the next rain to test it out although I did see a little stream with a garden hose flow after cleaning. The stream flows down the window into the plastic lower window gutter /shelf. I live in liquid sunshine 10 months a yearā€¦ that gasket doesnā€™t seem to have enough crush/compression or softness/durometer to seal correctly - my opinion.
Sponsored