John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Planning a week on the beach at Kitty Hawk in June and will have my Bronco. Seems some of the beaches will be closed for season. How can I tell which are beaches are open and closed to vehicular traffic? Recommendations north and/or south of Kitty Hawk. Thought this forum might have some good advice. Thanks.
Sponsored

g8rb8t

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Following - headed there in July

Clump

Heritage
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Heritage
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Kitty Hawk, Nag's Head. etc. have no beach driving in summer.

If you go north on route 12 to Corolla eventually the road will end and you'll go through a gate and onto the beach. It's free, but you need a permit from Currituck County to park on the beach in season. There are sand roads back from the beach that are lined with houses, some very interesting, that are fun. There are also wild horses.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/obx-visit-advice.92539/

If you go south on route 12 to Oregon inlet you can drive on the beach there and once you cross the bridge onto Hatteras Island the whole beach is open for driving. There are multiple places to get on/off. It's part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. You need to buy a pass from the park service. https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/permitsandreservations.htm

Make sure to air down. My Sasquatch I go to 20 PSI. There's a County air-up station in Corolla, which is great. If you go on any of the south beaches you'll need a compressor or a stop at a gas station.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Planning a week on the beach at Kitty Hawk in June and will have my Bronco. Seems some of the beaches will be closed for season. How can I tell which are beaches are open and closed to vehicular traffic? Recommendations north and/or south of Kitty Hawk. Thought this forum might have some good advice. Thanks.
In the Outer Banks, the Corolla Beaches to the North require a weekly $50 permit, you can reserve online and pick up at Town Hall. A must-do, especially with the horses. Link: https://currituckcountync.gov/beach-parking/

After that, the open beaches are all Hatteras National Seashore. Buy a weekly permit now, and read the website carefully. There are plenty of beaches open, it's just that in the summertime portions are closed for the large numbers of tourists who need a beach to sit on. (Buxton is closed for petroleum pollution mitigation) The permits are bought on recreation.gov, https://www.recreation.gov/vehiclepermits/249978 but the administration of the seashore is from the National Park Service Cape Hatteras. In the winter many of the Town beaches are open but in the summer they close because of the tourists. Also there are some beaches that are only open to residents of which you and I are not one. NPS info here. https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/permitsandreservations.htm
The ORV entrances to the National Seashore are called "Ramps" and midweek, start at Bodie Island Light Visitors Center, climb the Lighthouse, then use Ramp 2 for your first trip. Beach driving is its own world, and 15mph is usually the NPS speed limit. Know that weekends are very crowded on the beach, so avoid that or go early.

Most of us air down to 20#, avoids getting stuck, tears up the beach less, easier on your car.

SmartSelect_20240428_100126_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP
OP
JohnnyX

JohnnyX

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks all! Bought my permits today. I'm a fresh water salmon fisher, but it looks like I should bring some rods/rod holders from the pictures. Assume that I'll need a fishing license and fishing tips as well. I have surf fishing rods, but they're for Lake Michigan... Not sure they'll work too well here. On Lake Michigan, I just use a 4 oz. pyramid on a slider with a spawn bag on a treble hook. 30-40# test on a 9.5' rod spinning reel.

Sandy56

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Head south down hwy 12. just need a week or yearly national seashore pass.

Ford Bronco OBX Visit Advice SmartSelect_20240428_100126_Chrome

Ford Bronco OBX Visit Advice SmartSelect_20240428_100126_Chrome
Man this looks awesome. My family always went to Buxton every year growing up (27 now). Definitely want to get the bronco out there

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks all! Bought my permits today. I'm a fresh water salmon fisher, but it looks like I should bring some rods/rod holders from the pictures. Assume that I'll need a fishing license and fishing tips as well. I have surf fishing rods, but they're for Lake Michigan... Not sure they'll work too well here. On Lake Michigan, I just use a 4 oz. pyramid on a slider with a spawn bag on a treble hook. 30-40# test on a 9.5' rod spinning reel.
https://license.gooutdoorsnorthcarolina.com/Licensing/CustomerLookup.aspx
Sponsored