Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco Normal knock sensor amount? IMG_2680

What are the normal values for Knk_Sen1_Cnts and Knk_Sen2_Cnts? What are the values that would indicate a problem? Also, what do the values indicate exactly?
Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
What are the normal values for Knk_Sen1_Cnts and Knk_Sen2_Cnts? What are the values that would indicate a problem? Also, what do the values indicate exactly?
I have no idea what is normal, but if the question is because you are experiencing pre-ignition when engine is cold, yeah I and others have that too and claimed to be normal.

I just found a video about the technology that seems to explain why this is a downside of direct injection engines. That it is particularly likely on small turbocharged engines which manufacturers are switching to instead of larger (heavier) large displacement engines. I'll be posting a thread on that.

This is the link to the vid I found however.

OP
OP

bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have no idea what is normal, but if the question is because you are experiencing pre-ignition when engine is cold, yeah I and others have that too and claimed to be normal.

I just found a video about the technology that seems to explain why this is a downside of direct injection engines. That it is particularly likely on small turbocharged engines which manufacturers are switching to instead of larger (heavier) large displacement engines. I'll be posting a thread on that.

the engine wasn’t cold, so this info is useless.

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

to see if you have a real problem, you'd want to watch (or datalog) the counts when under load to see if the count is incrreasing. That reading is a cumulative count from the current cycle, so those counts could have happened when the engine was cold.

The knock/pre-ignition that you should be worried about is when the engine is hot, as it can damage pistons due to the spontaneous nature of detonation. Knock readings from cold starts are more likely from additional tolerance in engine components when everything is cold.

If there was a real problem with knock/detonation you'd bee seeing counts in the thousands

Sponsored

E. J

Big Bend
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 SCab 4X4 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Knock counts sound interesting. Compare those counts between low and high octane fuels.

Might be able to make a conclusion that your Bronco runs better with fewer knock counts.

OP
OP

bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Knock counts sound interesting. Compare those counts between low and high octane fuels.

Might be able to make a conclusion that your Bronco runs better with fewer knock counts.
I always run high octane. Have to with the Ford Performance tune.

MC1313

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I have also been told this is normal and trust me it’s not. Ford is trying to sweep it under the carpet and I am betting it’s a EPA issue they don’t want to address. Mine will (ping) until oil temp reads around 165-170 and then goes away and runs much better. I have also noticed MPG is better than advertised too (which makes me think that’s why Ford won’t address the issue). At some point down the road I am willing to bet there are going to be a lot of 2.3 engines damaged from the “pre-ignition” that has been happening when cold. It’s got to be something related to either a closed loop or open loop situation that once it gets to a certain temp the change effects timing and then the problem disappears.
Sponsored