Sponsored

My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k)

OP
OP
BHD2012

BHD2012

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru Outback, 2012 Hyundai Sonata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed the ZROADZ 2-door roof rack with ZROADZ pod lights.

At first I followed the directions which said to build the rack on the ground then get assistance placing it on top of the Bronco.

Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) IMG_0471

I found that it was too heavy and awkward to place on top (I was working by myself) so I opted to build it directly on top of the roof. This turned out to be a much faster and safer way to assemble since the individual pieces could easily be moved and fit together.

Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) IMG_0479

Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) IMG_0480

Also I chose to have all the parts slack and then gradually tighten for a perfect fit. With the two front panels off I could stand on the front seats to easily connect the support beams.
Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) IMG_0485

I opted for the roofrack + pod light combo since it came with a custom wiring harness (Now that I see how its constructed, I'll just build my own wire harness in the future). I decided to drill through the top of the windshield frame as well as the roof rack mounting base itself to facilitate the routing of the wire. I made sure to use silicone sealant to waterproof the hole.
Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) IMG_0483

Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) IMG_0481

I attached the wires to Aux switch 1. The pod lights should have arrived with 2 amber pods and 6 white pods for a total of 8. Instead, I received 4 amber pods and 4 white pods. I called customer service and they were going to work with me to correct the mistake. I ended up deciding to just stick with the combo. Just keep this in mind if you decide to purchase this combo from ZROADZ, it will only come with 2 ambers not 4.
file:///C:/Users/bobko/Downloads/IMG_0495.jpg
Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) Screenshot 2024-04-19 234057

Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) IMG_0495

I did have issues getting the bolts to line up with the holes on the main cross support bracket. Considering all the pieces were slack, I could only attribute the offset to the slightly larger than expected gap with the tubular frame in the rear (where an optional chase light can be mounted). There is a short tubular frame segment that joins the left and right rear 90 degree corners together. The connection left two slight gaps in the joints on each side of the short tubular frame. These gaps prevented the side tubular frame supports from aligning with the holes on the main support beam. I was going to just drill the holes out but figured a less invasive solution of using a ratcheting strap to force the two tubular side frames closer together. This worked perfectly and I was able to get all 4 bolts to align with the main support beam.
Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) IMG_1141

Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) IMG_1142

Overall, I am very happy with the build quality of the rack. Its beefy and sturdy. The pod lights look great in my opinion and I don't mind the extra ambers...the color actually ties in well with the Badlands accents. As for wind noise - yes there is a bit more noise but its not too bad with the full hard top in place. When the front hard top panels are off. It is loud but I get use to it especially if the windows are down too. I ended up buying the newly offered wind aluminum windscreen from ZROADZ. In my honest opinion, it really didn't make much of a difference for the wind noise. It looks good though! One thought is that there is a significant gap along the bottom edge of the deflector. I may try some rubber edging material to see if I can fill the void and reduce noise, but its really not that big of a deal for me. I was averaging 19.8 MPG prior to the roof rack and now (after going through a tank of gas on HWY and side roads) I'm averaging 19.7 MPG.
Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) IMG_0568

Above is without windscreen
Ford Bronco My 2-door Cactus Gray Badsquatch (Eibach 2.0, RC winch mount, Apex badland 12k) IMG_1309

With windscreen
Sponsored

Last edited: