CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I installed the Ford trailer towing wiring harness and trailer hitch this weekend and afterwards I kept getting the above error message. Given that I had disconnected the battery while performing the work and it remained disconnected overnight, I initially shrugged the error off as related to that.

When it did not go away, I changed the battery in the key fob despite having owned my Bronco for about 6 months. No joy on that either. The really strange thing was the key fob would still lock/unlock the vehicle and start it was well. A head scratcher...

Because the work that I did involved electrical wiring and it was too much of a coincidence not to be related, I began walking back through the installation in my head. In conjunction with that, I could hear an occasional rattle in the back and so I took some time and the light bulb went off.

Inside the rear panel (which has to be partially removed) is where you mount the trailer module. In order to gain enough access, you have to disconnect 1 wire from a connector built into the side panel.

I forgot to reconnect that wire and apparently, it is the power for some type of antenna that (of course!) relays the signal from the key fob. After reconnecting, all is well.

Keep this one in mind if you either do work behind the panel or if you suddenly receive the "key fob not detected" error. It could be the wire has become disconnected.
Sponsored

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lol, that one’s easy to miss when reinstalling the driver’s side rear cargo panel…let’s just say I learned the hard way with the antenna connection!