Sponsored

Just another alternative when mounting your brake controller.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Had to pick up a brake contoller because my state has a 1,500lbs limit. Debated going with the standard red arc or the ford version, but ended up getting the Ford version for free with my points.

Anyway, the idea of putting the gain dial in my center console did not sit well with me. I was going to go the "headlight switch" route instead but at the last minute changed my mine and added it to the lower console tray area along with my other connection.

Just wanted to pass this option along, because it was extremely easy, can easily be undone with a small rubber plug (which would look better at this location than your headlight switch). And it gave all that extra wires a place to tuck up out of the way, especially if you mount the controller on the plate under the steering wheel.

Ford Bronco Just another alternative when mounting your brake controller. 20230911_103209
Ford Bronco Just another alternative when mounting your brake controller. 20230911_100845
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reason that I put the dial on the center console is I can adjust the dial or manually apply the trailer brakes without moving my right arm. Having it tucked up in there where you placed it would have someone reaching/leaning forward and adjusting their line of sight out the windshield as they adjust the dial and/or apply the trailer brakes in a sudden emergency.

Reactions: Jdc

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curt wireless brake controller(y)

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put my knob on the console between the shifter and grab handle and thought I was so clever. Then guys started putting it on the headlight switch and I had regrets.

Your install is clean but I usually have crap in that cubby, plus the left half of it is pretty cramped with the manual.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reason that I put the dial on the center console is I can adjust the dial or manually apply the trailer brakes without moving my right arm. Having it tucked up in there where you placed it would have someone reaching/leaning forward and adjusting their line of sight out the windshield as they adjust the dial and/or apply the trailer brakes in a sudden emergency.
In talking with someone else they also pointed out that you want the controller as close to your hand as possible. Although the reality that without training in an emergency most people won't think about spinning the brake controller.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good point but I don't think there is an emergency situation where someone would be able to even have a chance to think about that knob let alone adjust it.

In the end, if for some reason it doesn't work, I can always move it and the hole can easily be plugged or turned into a 12v outlet :)

The factory version is supposed to integrate into the Bronco's safety systems so let's hope that takes care of alot of the emergency situation.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good point but I don't think there is an emergency situation where someone would be able to even have a chance to think about that knob let alone adjust it.

In the end, if for some reason it doesn't work, I can always move it and the hole can easily be plugged or turned into a 12v outlet :)

The factory version is supposed to integrate into the Bronco's safety systems so let's hope that takes care of alot of the emergency situation.
Why would someone adjust the dial in an emergency situation? In an emergency and lets say the trailer is swaying on the highway and you’re wanting to get the trailer under control, you wouldn't adjust the dial. You would use the manual override option and push the dial so it applies the trailer brakes but doesnt apply the tow vehicle brakes.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why would someone adjust the dial in an emergency situation? In an emergency and lets say the trailer is swaying on the highway and you’re wanting to get the trailer under control, you wouldn't adjust the dial. You would use the manual override option and push the dial so it applies the trailer brakes but doesnt apply the tow vehicle brakes.
Gotcha. Hopefully they antisway will help with that. Never had tonise a brake controller before but always towed lighter stuff ot had surge brakes.
Sponsored